Page 2 of 304 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Working hard tonight?

"Ostensibly a sauce invented and made by prostitutes, it is said that pasta puttanesca was designed to lure customers with its aroma. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    It works.
    FKNA. Those whores knew what they were doing. Not much smells better than a good Puttanesca.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Dude, fresh material, for the love of god. You probably still make iceman/jeans jokes, too, don't you?

Even Bmills has moved on to Pontiac Aztek jokes, and it's not like he's the sharpest knife in the drawer.

If you were doing this like even a semi-pro you'd have written: look for the pieces of shattered dignity left behind when he was finally forced to buy American.
    Just own it and go with it, like Ice did with the maul and jeans things. Irul's post was pretty fucking funny, you gotta admit.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Brown rice pasta with zuchinni, cherry tomatoes, onion and a creamy cashew pesto sauce.
    Sliced carrots with caramelized green onions a little bit of salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne.
    Quartered button mushrooms baked with diced tomatoes and seasoned with basil and garlic.
    I'm sure it was delicious, but as a carnivore that Vegan (depends on the creamy sauce) menu just seems a little sad, in a way.

I gotta say that judging by the posts in this thread the maggotry eats pretty fucking well as a whole. Surprised we didn't draw out Lemonboy or at least KQ in this thread.

I ate grilled cheese with tomato soup tonight.

The grilled cheese was fresh Holeman and Finch sourdough with heriloom tomatoes, a great cheddar, and thick sliced bacon. The tomato soup was whipped up by the wife in the vitamix (creamy with a variety of local heirloom tomatoes, basil and herbs from the garden and spices)

I'm now drinking Budweiser and watching football.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I gotta say that judging by the posts in this thread the maggotry eats pretty fucking well as a whole.
    Better than they dress, I suppose.

Just got back from Kodiak. Throwing the mountain goat tenderloins on the grill, baked potatoes and chopped kale salad. Should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Just own it and go with it, like Ice did with the maul and jeans things.
    I'm cool with it and all but let's not forget you're the one who told me to mash it on the head.

Heh - I'll fess up to that.

Chat was a funny thing. Snowslider almost setting the FedEx guy on fire made me pee a little. (I believe that was your suggestion, to burn the hornet nest.)

Who knew he was gonna drop a gas bomb from the second floor?

Chat was the best for a while there.

why was chat stopped? I played in there for a while. It was hilarious

Same answer as "why no tags?"

A: Who the fuck knows

probably made the closet too warm

errr, "data center"

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    Just got back from Kodiak. Throwing the mountain goat tenderloins on the grill, baked potatoes and chopped kale salad. Should be ok.

I like to age goat about a month @ 35-40 for the hindquarter. (About the same as the Australian lamb chops from Costco lol...)
    Sweetmeats should be good now, if you killed him a few days ago and didn't freeze. Congrats and post pics!

speaking of Australia lamb chops from Costco... why do they taste so mild? Is the "ageing"? Serious question, jong away.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    speaking of Australia lamb chops from Costco... why do they taste so mild? Is the "ageing"? Serious question, jong away.
    Not sure. I buy a whole lamb from the San Louis valley every fall. I don't find the chops that strong/musky. Are you used to eating mutton? Regardless, lamb f'n rocks. Lamb ribs done properly are amazing.

no I love lamb, have eaten lamb in Australia, and Costco lamb has less "lamby" flavour. g/f says the same, she couldn't eat in in Aust but does here. Obviously its been transported a long way but I don't know if its transported fresh or frozen? Its just not as strong of a flavour.

Maybe Costco lamb is like KFC chicken and it's not really lamb at all.

Watcha cookin'?

Costco lamb is from Australia or New Zealand. I raise American lamb we cannot touch their prices.

It's not really even worth doing aside from the fact that a few people want to actually buy American and will pay a premium for it.

Edit- import lamb is shipped frozen after its processed (killed and packed).

how does the ageing change the flavour? I've been looking around me for local lamb to buy but not many people raise them, it seems sheep are perfect grizzly snack size.

Watcha cookin'?

Afaik lamb is not aged at all

Edit- Jesus I got tipsy watching the debate. No way am I getting into shipping meat again! :nono:
    Last edited by steepconcrete; 10-14-2015 at 11:44 AM.

A lot of Australian lamb is basically from the Outback and it's definitely gamey, it grew up in the desert pretty much. Maybe Costco has sources in more temperate regions? Certainly New Zealand is a pretty lush place and I don't find their lamb gamey. I think the climate and availability of food makes a difference in the product. We buy local MD and PA lamb here usually these days and it's good as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Costco lamb is from Australia or New Zealand. I raise American lamb we cannot touch their prices.

It's not really even worth doing aside from the fact that a few people want to actually buy American and will pay a premium for it.

Crazy how fast that happened too. When I lived in Vail in the early 90's Colorado lamb was the cheapest protein you could buy in Safeway, even cheaper than pork. No I'm not talking about the chops, but the blade steaks were like $1.50/lb.

I think maybe the lamb JamesP had down under had more fat left on the chops, which is where the "lamby" flavor comes from. My wife isn't a big fan of that flavor so I trim the cap off the frenched Costco racks.

cooking mutton burger here. muslims seem to know how to raise a lamb, smells outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post

Interesting, we get ours from a local ranch and feel it's a reasonable price for loacal organic and it was good enough to get Mrs back on the meat wagon
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Costco in Canada has boned leg roasts which is what I usually get. Chops sometimes. The Costco stuff is surprisingly low free. I did get some from another chain a while back, same cut, Aust, but way more fat, obviously a lower grade. I imagine the fattier ones would be tasty done on a charcoal grill smoker? Whenever I get around to getting a big fake egg I will try.

The stuff I ate in Aust might have been fattier, can't remember. Grocery stores etc in Australia all had equal selections of beef & lamb which is definitely not the case in the typical CAD grocery store.

Just got a half hog last weekend. Had pork chops, green beans, and french fries cooked in the lard I rendered over the weekend. Good shit.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.