Page 110 of 304 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 7585

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Basically yeah. Yeast works. You don't. Takes a long time though. I never did a cold 2nd rise though. I might have to try that

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Hah, sous vide of bread, yeah that's probably not a bad way to summarize it.

I followed the NYT video recipe and was sorely disappointed but the process was so brain dead simple that I set out on a mission to make it taste good. Right off the bat I figured out that their recipe was woefully deficient in salt. Just bumping the salt up to 1.5-2% makes an enormous difference. I think Mark Bittman has revised the recipe to have an appropriate amount of salt now. The next thing that I did was start adding whole wheat flour. I've landed on 10-15% whole wheat as being the right amount to add character without impacting the texture too much.

Ultimately, I found this: https://brodandtaylor.com/no-knead-bread-recipe/

They recommend some folding through the process, which has a similar effect to kneading, thus creating more structure in the dough.

I really like a good rustic loaf of bread but all of the good artisan bakeries around here charge a small fortune for it. So, I make it once or twice a month, sometimes more frequently. Maybe it's not quite as good as the very best local bread (Sea Wolf is awesome if you're in Seattle) but it's a lot cheaper than $8/loaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Hah, sous vide of bread, yeah that's probably not a bad way to summarize it.

I followed the NYT video recipe and was sorely disappointed but the process was so brain dead simple that I set out on a mission to make it taste good. Right off the bat I figured out that their recipe was woefully deficient in salt. Just bumping the salt up to 1.5-2% makes an enormous difference. I think Mark Bittman has revised the recipe to have an appropriate amount of salt now. The next thing that I did was start adding whole wheat flour. I've landed on 10-15% whole wheat as being the right amount to add character without impacting the texture too much.

Ultimately, I found this: https://brodandtaylor.com/no-knead-bread-recipe/

They recommend some folding through the process, which has a similar effect to kneading, thus creating more structure in the dough.

I really like a good rustic loaf of bread but all of the good artisan bakeries around here charge a small fortune for it. So, I make it once or twice a month, sometimes more frequently. Maybe it's not quite as good as the very best local bread (Sea Wolf is awesome if you're in Seattle) but it's a lot cheaper than $8/loaf.
    Mine turns out fantastic. I too use nyt recipe and add slightly more salt. I have tried the wheat mix (50/50ish) and was less pleased. I find a 50/50 bread/all purpose flour to turn out best. I don't fold during initial rise. After 18 hours I fold it and let 2 hour second rise. Then into oven.

I too dig a rustic loaf and while there are plenty of great loaves in the immediate area I enjoy making it myself. I make about 1 a week. I love bread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Honest question:

What do you have against kneading? Is this method somehow taste superior?

I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Honest question:

I just don't get it.
    I dont really have anything against kneading, just seems easier this way is all. Kinda "set it and forget it" deal for a day. The final product tastes great, but I dont know that its any better than a kneaded loaf.

Lets call it "lazy loaf"

Honest question:

I just don't get it.
    There are children starving in Africa because of you kneaders.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Honest question:

I just don't get it.
    I have nothing against kneading per se. Just that it's a technique that I haven't taken the time to get good at. Machine kneading with the mixer has given me mixed results. Kneading by hand also has given me mixed results. Some day I'll get it figured out but for now I get good results without it.

The no knead method is pretty foolproof. I don't think the taste is superior. There's some argument that it might be inferior but it's also less finicky and by adding a few folds in to the process you can overcome the shortcomings of the method with virtually no extra effort. The downside is the long time required but frankly that actually works out well for me. I mix it up a day (or 3) before I want to eat it and I make sure that I start the baking process at least 2 hours before I need it to be done. Sometimes that means I mix it up before I leave for work Friday morning and then bake it on Saturday morning. Sometimes I mix it up on Friday after work and bake it Saturday afternoon before dinner. Actual active time required is about 20 minutes tops and the most tedious part is weighing the ingredients out on a scale, which can be done in about 5 minutes including cleanup. Results are good so I can't complain about it.

When compared to traditional bread baking methods that include making a poolish a day ahead, 30 minutes of autolysis, mixing and kneading, bulk ferment, pre-shape, rest, shape, final proof, and finally bake, the no knead method is really easy. Granted, the more you improve on the no knead technique the more it looks like traditional methods but for a novice baker who just wants to have a good loaf with a good texture it's a good place to start.

For reference, my recipe is:
    - 90% AP Flour
    - 10 % Whole Wheat flour
    (total flour = 430g)
    - salt 2% (8-9g)
    - 74% H2O (320g)

For the method follow methods from the NYT / Mark Bittman video.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	682.7 KB 
ID:	278015
    Sausage and mushroom calzone.

Man, I miss the days when I could just go in an order just a calzone, and it would cost $2.50, and they didn't ask any questions.

It's so unlike now where I go in an order 2 slices, and I get questions. C'mon, gimme 2 slices. And it's 8 bucks.

Man, I miss the days when I could just go in an order just a calzone, and it would cost $2.50, and they didn't ask any questions.

It's so unlike now where I go in an order 2 slices, and I get questions. C'mon, gimme 2 slices. And it's 8 bucks.
    Yep, growing up there were pizza joints everywhere. They were all awesome and cheap.
    Here the pizza is not awesome and way overpriced. I started making pizza about 18 years ago. Since then I've bought pizza a few times. It's always disappointing. Yeah, I know wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Sausage and mushroom calzone.
    Very cosmopolitan.

Here's mine:
    Name:  IMG_7503.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  49.9 KB

at least I'm not an idiot or anything.

There is a calzone place in Richland WA west of me that was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives last month.

The Folded Pizza Pie
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Is the food very good? When I looked at the Facebook page it looked like a gallery more than a resturaunt.

Any of y'all have a wood fired stove?
    I'm moving into the new house in 2 weeks and it has a real custom wood stove. I've been reading and watching YouTube videos all day. I'm super excited!

Grillin chicken breast marinated in lemon honey thyme pepper, the season has begun

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Name:	A85F8B9A-D1A4-4B1B-96FC-C140F20B4A9F.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	608.9 KB 
ID:	282763

Name:	55C79823-9A92-43D3-BF8A-A1825FF59FE6.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	560.8 KB 
ID:	282764

Loving it

Do you deliver?

Ugh, that oven stirs my loins
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

yeah, that's pretty rad.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Almost magical.

fuck me i want an outdoor pizza oven

Fried

Name:	20190517_192801-01.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	282923
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Cooked up some chicken quarters with pecan on the egg for family dinner.

Name:	IMG_4923.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	283020
    Then smoked off some charred scallion, Toulouse and fennel sausages for my outing on the river with Tye and Teleee tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_4924.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	893.7 KB 
ID:	283021

Name:	IMG_4925.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	283022

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Cooked up some chicken quarters with pecan on the egg for family dinner.

Name:  D8453DC8-6198-493B-B0BC-A37978B8FB50.jpeg
Views: 355
Size:  99.2 KB

Meth
    . . .