Page 109 of 122 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 3040

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Mother. Of. God.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 172
Size:  440.7 KB

Glad you guys are digging the rib cap. Get one! Forgot to mention I did it at around 225-240 grate temp. I didnít bother searing after the rest as the outside of the fat cap was already crisp.

I

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

We're about to buy a 1/4 cow. Grass fed and local (reasonably local, they're not eating expensive Boulder grass!). Pretty psyched to have better quality meat from a cow that had a good life.

I'm used to cooking conventional beef, of course, and I see online info about how grass fed beef is different (in terms of both cooking times and internal temps), but then I see other stuff that says otherwise.

Anyone have experience or tips they can share?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

I buy it because I prefer the taste, people tell me itís better for me and I feel good about it.
    I have no basis other than second hand info but the mass produced conventional, corn/GMO grain feb beef industry is scary. Both from a humane standpoint and health factors.
    My guess is there are plenty of beef producers feeding cattle corn and grains that donít feed or inject them with crap we donít want filtering down to us but with my family, I just donít take that chance anymore. Grass fed tastes better to me.
    Iíve been told the fat structure is different and better for you. Muscle meats I think are similar in nutrition and leaner. Plenty of fat on grass fed! Just not as much intramuscular fat.

Iíd bet after having all that good beef around you will be less drawn to the 2.49/lb mystery beef at the local mega mart!

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I’d bet after having all that good beef around you will be less drawn to the 2.49/lb mystery beef at the local mega mart!
    Probably!

Did you find that cooking it was different than conventional beef?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

It cooks the same. Just use your normal temps.

It's still a cow.

When you know the meat comes from a single cow, it's usually safer (not safe, but safer) to cook ground meat to lower temps since there aren't like 100 different animals in your burger.

But otherwise, what MTM said.

Watcha cookin'?

My tip is to squirrel away some of the steaks cause when youíre down to the dregs youíll be glad you still have a steak or two.

Also, what Moon said. You forget just how damn good a mid-rare burger is.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I want me some steak tar tar. I miss raw beef. Had a lot as a kid from our pasture scavengers. Love the taste and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Well not really. It is still is processed thru either the same type of USDA processor or even worse-> a mobile butcher.
    Hmm.... is it just safer if you grind it yourself then? I heard it on Alton Brown, so it has to be true!

FWIW, the place I'm buying from says no hormones, antibiotics, or steroids, and says that the cattle are killed by an Animal Welfare approved slaughter facility, whatever that means.

But most things I have read, including from ranches, say that the cooking times are significantly shorter. Guess I'll find out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the cattle are killed by an Animal Welfare approved slaughter facility
    I sense a farside cartoon here.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I sense a farside cartoon here.
    The facility is located in Midvale.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I buy it because I prefer the taste, people tell me itís better for me and I feel good about it.
    I have no basis other than second hand info but the mass produced conventional, corn/GMO grain feb beef industry is scary. Both from a humane standpoint and health factors.
    My guess is there are plenty of beef producers feeding cattle corn and grains that donít feed or inject them with crap we donít want filtering down to us but with my family, I just donít take that chance anymore. Grass fed tastes better to me.
    Iíve been told the fat structure is different and better for you. Muscle meats I think are similar in nutrition and leaner. Plenty of fat on grass fed! Just not as much intramuscular fat.

Iíd bet after having all that good beef around you will be less drawn to the 2.49/lb mystery beef at the local mega mart!
    I prefer grass fed/pastured beef too, but it is factually incorrect to say that it is superior to grain-fed beef in terms of flavor and tenderness. If I was trying to really wow someone with a piece of beef, I wouldn't even think of using grass fed. Take a lap.

ETA: See MTM's post below.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

"Wagyu cattle are fed for over 600 days on a special diet including wheat, rice, corn, barley and other wholesome foods. Their diet promotes "shimofuri," which is the high quality fat content we refer to as marbling."

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Hmm.... is it just safer if you grind it yourself then? I heard it on Alton Brown, so it has to be true!
    Yes. Ground beef should have the living shit cooked out of it unless you ground it yourself at home from a cut where you trimmed off the outside first. I'm on a burger hiatus until I finally decide which home grinder I want to buy.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

I've had this very affordable grinder for 10 years and it's gone through countless animals.

Can't say enough good things about it.

https://www.amazon.com/STX-Internati.../dp/B0012KJBR0

Edit to add: It is loud as fuck, but I find it adds to the overall experience in a very very satisfying way.

Good info here. http://americangrassfed.org
    We used to get 1/4's of grass fed and I never noticed a difference for cooking times.

Cool, good to know

I've been eating industrial 80/20 cooked rare my whole life. Usually have a bite or two raw with salt while cooking. So far so good. I know that's of little assurance but....

Perhaps that accounts for my quirky nature to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Yes. Ground beef should have the living shit cooked out of it unless you ground it yourself at home from a cut where you trimmed off the outside first. I'm on a burger hiatus until I finally decide which home grinder I want to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I've been eating industrial 80/20 cooked rare my whole life. Usually have a bite or two raw with salt while cooking. So far so good. I know that's of little assurance but....

Perhaps that accounts for my quirky nature to this day.
    I don't eat much raw store bought, but I'll sure eat 80/20 med or med rare (depending on source) store bought all day. Haven't died yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Safest way to enjoy this is to buy a nice roast and cut off all the edges (sources of possible contamination) then grind the middle yourself.
    When I've made it with store-bought meat, I just quickly dunked the meat into a bot of boiling water (like, 10 seconds or so, then into a bowl of ice water - long enough to kill anything on the outside, but not long enough to start cooking the meat, esp. with the shock afterward). I also prefer chopped vs ground meat, but that's just a personal preference.

BreakfastClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_094254.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	275492

Dont know this belongs here or some random bread making thread I didn't search for. In any case. No knead bread on it's first rise. It's an 20hr total process but you literally do basically nothing but wait. 18 hours first rise. Punch down and fold into self, rise 2 more hours. Bake in Dutch oven.

Will post finished pics when done Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_184654.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	275618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190324_084710_886.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	275619

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    BreakfastClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_094254.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	275492

Name:  IMG_0796.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  21.8 KB