Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    OR Trailbreaker is another nice one. Thin, packs well and pit zips. Waterproof shoulders and hood. Athletic, non-European fit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    mine are starting to see a number of crampon-created tears.
    Stop kicking yourself in the ankles when you're wearing crampons and you'll stop getting tears.

I prefer non-reinforced cuffs. No matter how thick the reinforcement, a sharp pair of crampons will shred them anyway. So might as well just have a lighter more breathable pant and be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

Since I run with a super thin puffy, I sometimes carry a Blizzard Bag to cover my ass in emergency situations. Equivalent to a 30 degree sleeping bag, 12oz, waterproof, and the size of a VHS tape. Kickass piece of gear, since a true emergency puffy is not warm enough, not compressible enough and not waterproof. Best invention ever, imo.
    Very good kit. Yet to open in anger but carried one every day for many many days.
    Life is not lift served.

Pity the Ferrosi has pockets under the waist belt of a backpack.
    Life is not lift served.

New Softshell Recs?

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    Stop kicking yourself in the ankles when you're wearing crampons and you'll stop getting tears.

I prefer non-reinforced cuffs. No matter how thick the reinforcement, a sharp pair of crampons will shred them anyway. So might as well just have a lighter more breathable pant and be careful.
    Kinda agree. Never found a pair of pants that would beat crampons. Had to source my own material (see the group buy I did a couple years ago).

If anyone's looking for a thin lightweight windshirt version of the Ferrosi, Nike is closing out the Impossibly Light Running Jacket. 3oz and breathes just as well as the Ferrosi. I've never found a superlight windshirt that comes even close to the breathability of the Ferrosi. Most aren't breathable at all, while some are just barely breathable. Patagonia Houdini and similar aren't even close. I keep one in my running, hiking and climbing kit. Beats the pants off of comparable options, but not for bulky dudes with large delts - tight in the shoulders and pits.

Rips and tears are gona happen in any piece of out door gear used as intended, repairs ain't gona happen unless you do them

Tape the edges toghetr on the out side, smear some aqua seal on the inside put some backing material on the AQS, cover with saran wrap roll it flat with a beer bottle

every out door person should have a tube of AQS stored in the freezer ready to fix their stuff

and quit whining
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Advice on backing material? I always just apply it naked

The hands down best backing material for AQS repairs is dryer anti-static sheets that have been thru at least one dryer cycle. If you don't believe me try to rip one they are very strong, they are also very porous so you can squeegee AQS right thru the material, saran wrap it, roll it flat with a bottle ... fuknawesume

They also will conform to whatever surface you are using them on they also work good with slow-set 2-part epoxy to repair cracks in a Thule box ... fits good in corners eh

Mountain Equipment Orbital.

This a is a very good jacket. Two pockets in just the right place; kept me almost dry hiking for 8 hours in mod to heavy rain; nice fit; lightweight; thin and breathable (but still has a very light soft backing).

I think it's no longer in production, but obviously available.
    http://www.climbers-shop.com/1060770...al-jacket.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The hands down best backing material for AQS repairs is dryer anti-static sheets that have been thru at least one dryer cycle. If you don't believe me try to rip one they are very strong, they are also very porous so you can squeegee AQS right thru the material, saran wrap it, roll it flat with a bottle ... fuknawesume

They also will conform to whatever surface you are using them on they also work good with slow-set 2-part epoxy to repair cracks in a Thule box ... fits good in corners eh
    Rad tip man - will have to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Mountain Equipment Orbital.

This a is a very good jacket. Two pockets in just the right place; kept me almost dry hiking for 8 hours in mod to heavy rain; nice fit; lightweight; thin and breathable (but still has a very light soft backing).

I think it's no longer in production, but obviously available.
    http://www.climbers-shop.com/1060770...al-jacket.aspx
    Good pockets.

I keep finding near-perfectly designed softshells only to have them ruined with Gore windstopper. in 'strategic ares'.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    If anyone's looking for a thin lightweight windshirt version of the Ferrosi, Nike is closing out the Impossibly Light Running Jacket. 3oz and breathes just as well as the Ferrosi. I've never found a superlight windshirt that comes even close to the breathability of the Ferrosi.
    Love the Ferrosi, and picked up an Arctery'x Squamish for the windshirt slot this summer. Didn't end up needing it much, but can't recall overheating in it. Unlike the rest of the dead bird line, it's not ludicrously priced, and seems like a good Houdini alternative thus far.

Rab exodus is my go to non snowing day jacket, I overheat in most things but this has been perfect.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

New Softshell Recs?

Nice, but aren't they waxy? I bought a walmart $20 nylon jacket that I cut patches out of.

I recently used JB weld clearweld epoxy to glue a glass table. I found that the curred epoxy on the paper I mixed it on stated very flexible. It does not seem to have great resistance to tearing but it does a great job at keeping the table together. I wil do a comparrison test between it and AQS.

I used a new dryer sheet that hadn't been thru the dryer to fix something and it still worked, dryer sheets have some product on them so leave them in the dryer for at least one cycle, I have an old coated nylon jacket I could cut patches out of but usually i want something thinner than thicker, I think dryer sheets work much like fibreglass cloth

What a great idea. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The anti rawj is strong in you. I like that dryer sheet idea. People at work make fun of me for repairing my jeans with AQS.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    So, you're saying I shouldn't kick myself? I'll have to try it.

I'd still prefer some reinforcement on the bottom of the Ferrosi pants, or, if nothing else, a wider pant. I agree that even reinforced pants eventually get torn, but the Ferrosi shredded faster than most. It may be because the fabric is stretched around the boots though. Anyhow, as I said in my original post, this is just a nit.

Thanks XXX-er for the AQS advice.

another benifit is that they are FREE and sitting there in the laundry room garbage can, when ever I am fixn something its not just about what is best its about what I got laying around right now to macgyver into a fix ... which is how I discovered dryer sheets

I did put down every single rawj post that was a fucked up idea

100% Agree with the idea that you want your softshell to be:
    as thin as possible
    well placed pockets
    hood
    no membrane
    as wind resistant as possible
    slim fit

I believe the type of fabric you're looking for is a double weave with a slightly more textured inside and a smooth outer face. They typically dont have as much stretch but block wind really well and are durable. Properly done they are <16oz. Think the discontinued Patagonia Ready Mix/ Ascentionist and NOT the Simple Guide Hoody, Arcteryx Gamma MX or Rab Exodus which are >20oz.

The softshells immediately coming to mind that fit this category are
    Arcteryx Psiphon SL Hoody
    Arcteryx Gamma SL Hybrid Hoody
    Black diamond BDV Hoody
    Outdoor Research Whirlwind Hoody - really cheap on amazon right now! I would be concerned about real world wind resistance since it looks like a more loose weave.

Previously mentioned:
    Patagonia Levitation
    OR Ferrosi
    Mountain Equip Orbital - I have this and it totally rocks. It's like a ready mix/ascentionist that actually fits and has pockets in the right place.

I would imagine that MEC makes something similar.

The thing to ask yourself is why not a houdini? It's not as good looking and it's not as durable, but when it comes down to real world performance, I would say my houdini out performs almost any other softshell when you consider wind and water resistance and packability. Yes, stretch is nice, but I've never had a range of motion issue with the houdini and I can see my feet and harness just fine. It's easy to say "I'll shred that thing," but I have taken mine ski touring and rock climbing for 5+ years and my second one only has a few repairs.

You can pack a houdini and an ultra light shell like the M10, westcomb focus, Rab neo, MHW quasar etc and still be lighter than just the levitation.

Sure, if you plan on climbing chimneys and bashing through trees, it probably will not last for long. If you plan on using it at the resort you run the risk of looking like a ... telemarker...

Other options in the more durable windshirt category that you might consider are
    Arcteryx Squamish
    Black diamond Alpine Start Hoody -great deals on this right now.

These are more durable but less wind resistant than the houdini.

Consider also that you can typically find windshirts for much less than softshells and therefore you might be able to consider them a wear item you replace every 2 - 4 years. This can keep the wear off of your nicer shell.

I'm the first one to say I love my soft shells, but if I'm really being honest about performance, the houdini usually takes top position...It just doesn't look as cool. It's always interesting to see what makes it into the pack when performance and weight are top priorities...Houdini every time.
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Quote Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
    Outdoor Research Whirlwind Hoody - really cheap on amazon right now! I would be concerned about real world wind resistance since it looks like a more loose weave.
    It's not bad.. I hate the weird cuff/glove things though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

New Softshell Recs?

Most windshirts breath like shit compared to a stretch-woven softshell. This includes the Patagonia Houdini. The older Houdinis were ok (about half the breathability of the Ferrosi), but the new ones are about 3 CFM, or about 10x less breathable than the old ones and about 20x less breathable than the Ferrosi. The old Houdini and new Squamish is around 30 CFM. The Ferrosi and old Squamish is around 60 CFM. 30 CFM is good for mellow hiking. 60 CFM is much better for high output touring.

Besides the old Squamish, the Nike Impossibly Light windshirt is also around 60 CFM or similar to the Ferrosi. To get those numbers it needs to be an open polyester weave. Nylon won't work in that open of a weave - too fragile. So don't even bother looking at nylon windshirts.

Most of the major manufacturers' windshirts are like the new Houdini - effectively windproof and horrible breathability (MHW, Marmot, Montane, Montbell, etc).

Besides being horribly unbreathable (except for a few exceptions like the Nike), they're also annoyingly loud when skiing and are quite fragile, when compared to softshells.

In my experience, windshirts are an awful choice compared to softshells when it comes to touring and skiing. I've tried a few over the years. They're great for climbing, hiking and backpacking though and I still own two for those activities.

I wear the houdini for all my touring, and it seems to breathe
    Ok, and it's pretty windproof.

I never take it off when I tour.

I prefer to tour naked and breathe with my lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I wear the houdini for all my touring, and it seems to breathe
    Ok, and it's pretty windproof.

I never take it off when I tour.
    What year is yours?