Pack recommendations for semi-adventure rides?

Looking for a good pack for longer rides than just a couple hours out and back. Maybe not for an epic (cause I would just use my 28L touring pack), but I'm talking 4-7 hour rides in remote areas.

The main goal is to have a pack that's big enough to be functional but small enough to cinch down and allow for fast, jumpy riding. Something with semi-reasonable back ventilation that can withstand years of being soaked in sweat-salt and sunblock.

How big is that pack? 15L? 18L? 20L? I have an old Dakine Drafter (current version claims to be 12L) that just cannot hold all of this stuff, and sometimes when I put stuff in the outer pocket, even cinched down it will pop out of the back on a landing.

I want to be able to hold (probably my max list for these kinds of rides):
    • 3L reservoir
    • extra sunblock, first aid kit (size of a fully stuffed sandwich bag), asthma crap
    • cell phone / tiny compact camera easily accessible
    • A burrito, a few Honey stinger packs, and a couple of granola bars
    • 2 extra layers + leg warmers
    • small PLB / SPOT and an emergency bivy
    • Repair kit, 2 tubes, pump, multitool, spare hanger, tiny thing of duct tape, etc.
    • can of beer
    • Lights
    • map & compass etc.
    • outer pocket works as a helmet carry if doing a long hot climb or hike-a-bike

(edited list above)
    Last edited by SchralphMacchio; 10-12-2015 at 02:15 PM.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Its hard to go wrong with Osprey, plenty of models to choose from.

I have a manta 30. People always comment on how stuffed/big it looks. It is big enough for an epic but you don't need to fill it up. Raptor and Talon are popular too.

I already have a 30L pack though ...
    Is that back pocket on your Mantra large enough for helmet carry?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

The Manta 20 works great for this type of application, although the raptor series looks sweet.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Do you have space for a frame bag? When you need to bring more stuff it's nice to have some of it on your bike instead of your back. I borrowed a half frame bag from a friend for an early season ride and it was nice not needing to wear a pack at all.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Zealot will carry all that, easy helmet carry on the outside of all osprey packs. Rides very low profile, stays on your back when you're in the air. Cons: zippers may stick after a while(chain lube helps a ton), and the bladder cap sucks. Not a deal-breaker, just kind of a nuisance.
    Honestly, I run an Escapist 30 (new Manta) for guiding, and it rides better than anything I ever had from dakine or camelbak, even with 30 lbs of crap in it.

I have a raptor that I just use all the time... not sure if you could fit all of that stuff in there comfortably without crushing the water so it's constantly leaking out the mouth piece.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I have a 13L Osprey and it would nearly fit everything you listed, so I would think the 15L would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Zealot will carry all that, easy helmet carry on the outside of all osprey packs. Rides very low profile, stays on your back when you're in the air. Cons: zippers may stick after a while(chain lube helps a ton), and the bladder cap sucks. Not a deal-breaker, just kind of a nuisance.
    Sweet, that looks like a money pack.

jamal, not looking for a frame bag (yet). Maybe later when I get into bikepacking kind of stuff, but I just can't see my Yeti SB-66 quietly carrying weight and not having the handling much changed.

Side topic ... always funny how shockingly unprepared people are on long rides. Even a 2-hour out and back means that at some point, you are 1 hour on bike from the trailhead, possibly 3 hours on foot - and it doesn't take too much of the wrong kind of tumble to mess you up. Which means unless your situation warrants and can also be serviced by a heli, you'll be waiting for a LOOOOONG time for a carryout once the proper help has been mobilized. A little bit of bandaging, layers, and IBU goes a long way in staying comfy and out of hypothermia.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

My Dakine Heli Pro pack from 2005 now works as my ideal mountain bike and would hold almost all of the stuff you want to carry. I go for patch kit before a second tube, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I already have a 30L pack though ...
    Is that back pocket on your Mantra large enough for helmet carry?
    No - you can tuck part of the helmet in and then secure it to some of the side straps. Stays stable enough. Their bike-specific packs have the lid-lock which holds the helmet tight with a stretch cord, works very well for a half lid. I wish the Manta had that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Cons: zippers may stick after a while(chain lube helps a ton)
    My pack was starting to have that problem. It was also getting filthy, so I finally just threw it in with a load of laundry. It came out nice and clean, and the zippers all work like new now.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I used a Hyper 3.0 for a couple seasons. Really liked it, super light weight and comfortable and it held a ton more stuff than you would have thought. The huge hip pockets were awesome. Unfortunately it pretty much fell apart on me, main zipper pulled away from the backing material, one side of the hip belt pulled out of the pack, and the material wore out completely in a few other spots. That's the price of being so light weight I guess.

I use a dakine nomad for what you are describing.
    Off the top of my head I carry; multi tool leatherman 2 tubes pump patch kit zip ties chain breaker quick link breaker roll of gorilla tape tire levers, 2 Sam splints pocket mask, small first aid kit with gauze gloves bandages etc, head light lighter. Fill one of the side pockets with granola bars and the other I stuff a rain cover in. Still room in the big pocket for a fair sized zip lock stuffed with sandwiches and a banana or something. Outside pouch can carry helmet or sometimes an extra water bottle if I want more than full bladder+bottle on frame, straps on bottom can be used for a jacket rolled up.

Cool, thanks for that info. At 18L it's even bigger than the Osprey Zealot. Sounds like both are good choices, hard to go wrong with either. Seems like Zealot has a slight edge on ergonomics and Nomad a slight edge on capacity and possibly durability (just looking at pics and guessing, also based on my experience owning Osprey and Dakine packs).

Also sounds rad that you are well prepared for all day rides!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I love my ergon BA3

reasonably light (comparable to the osprey packs, much lighter than the dakine stuff), expandable, lots of straps to carry a helmet/pads, huge outer sling pocket to stuff layers and whatnot into.

A regular old camelback Mule has powered me though a lot longer rides than your talking about.

They added some integrated clips that work great for hooking helmet straps on the back, very stable. But half the time I just hook my helmet to my handle bar to keep the weight off my back and for quicker access.

I have a bigger Osprey for days in which I need a shitload of layers, more for winter riding or when I pack my portable trail tool into a site for a day,

http://shop.camelbak.com/mule/d/1347_cl_5808