Microsoft password lost

A client offered to sell me a refurbished desktop PC at a decent price with some nice software. I didn't need it urgently but took the opportunity. Left it sit for a while and when I went to boot it up turns out he forgot to reset password, and forgot what original was. Now he's kinda flaked out and unavailable. Hard to get too demanding with him given the business relationship.

I see several hits on google about starting in safemode and bypassing, resetting, but they are all a bit out of my realm. I would like to accomplish this without eliminating the software that is loaded (CS5 among others) as that was the main reason to buy it vs the actual hardware.

Anyone know of a surefire method to reset password?

Thanks.

kick your friend in the nutsack?

dont know what OS version you're running but this usually works...

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

^^^Yeah, something like that or Tinity tools.
    If it's a used computer, you should just reformat anyway. You have an OS disk?
    If not, you can just find an iso and use the code on the back (if it has one).
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thanks.

Windows 8
    No disk.

I see one of the dangers on the FAQ of that link is losing data, and there is no data (of mine) only the programs.

Engrish as a second language?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Thanks.

Windows 8
    No disk.

I see one of the dangers on the FAQ of that link is losing data, and there is no data (of mine) only the programs.
    never used that tool with windows 8 but im nearly positive that part of the OS Core has remained unchanged. I have also never lost data. Only potential data loss I could imagine is anything that might be associated with the account you are resetting. I would reset Administrator, rarely if ever is thee anything saved there.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Engrish as a second language?
    I think the coffee hadn't set in yet.
    Can you reformat with any 8 disk as long as the version matches? The serial number is usually tied to the BIOS now, so I'm not sure what you do.
    And clearing the account password generally doesn't result in any data loss. I've done it a few times before.
    ETA: it looks like you can clear a Windows 8 password like any other Windows NT based password, and then Windows 8 has its own built in reformat tool. Neato.
    No longer stuck.

The only issue that a password reset (or blanking the password out and making it so there is no password) is if you have any data that is encrypted and stored. There are tools to do it, boot disks, or you can just boot with another Windows start-up disk and work some magic with renaming a few files and copying a file onto the disk. However Windows 8 has capability of using a local password, or be tied to a Microsoft Live password online. If the user login has an email address then it is an online account that can be recovered if the person with the email address can follow the procedures.

Tinity tools- must be for the Tin Man. it is Trinity....

Me speak engrish good.
    No longer stuck.

No one try Ophcrack or UUkeys? these two are much better than ntpasswrd to reset windows password, which is really hard to use for beginners.
    Last edited by cwuirmm; 09-18-2016 at 09:35 PM.

I've used ntpassword a few times on Windows 8 and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cwuirmm View Post
    No one try Ophcrack or UUkeys? these two are much better than ntpasswrd to reset 7 windows login password, which is really hard to use for beginners.
    I will try , if i have password reset disk ,the problem is solved very well
    Last edited by Kamller; 08-24-2017 at 08:39 PM.