Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Killington is owned by morons

Ha ha, was thinking of her, too.

Pretty sure that was post 10k, so that has to stick...

Wednesday's Cave, only open when it's closed.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

BUMP.

Official estimate is that it will take 144 hours of snowmaking for this, in November. Good luck.

http://www.skiracing.com/premium/kil...ld-cup-circuit

Pretty sure they used to get 8k fans for the bear mountain mogul challenge back in my VT days. No reason to think they can't get that to watch the best in the world. Other than the fact that BMMC is in April with 60 degree temps and rad slush bumps instead of November rain and icy hardpack patch skiing.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    Pretty sure they used to get 8k fans for the bear mountain mogul challenge back in my VT days. No reason to think they can't get that to watch the best in the world. Other than the fact that BMMC is in April with 60 degree temps and rad slush bumps instead of November rain and icy hardpack patch skiing.
    Well.....aside from the strong possibility that there will be little to no skiing available to the public on that weekend, the KBL lodge area just doesn't handle huge crowds that well. You're going to have people bussed up from Ram Head, Snowshed, and Vale lots, all converging on one very limited spectating area and modestly sized lodge and umbrella bar. I'd say a 5K+ person crowd in the KBL area is pretty seriously packed, especially if there is no public skiing.

Or, do they go all out to accommodate a 10K person crowd, and only have 2K people show up....?

Way, way too many variables here, it's highly likely to be an epic fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Well.....aside from the strong possibility that there will be little to no skiing available to the public on that weekend, the KBL lodge area just doesn't handle huge crowds that well. You're going to have people bussed up from Ram Head, Snowshed, and Vale lots, all converging on one very limited spectating area and modestly sized lodge and umbrella bar. I'd say a 5K+ person crowd in the KBL area is pretty seriously packed, especially if there is no public skiing.

Or, do they go all out to accommodate a 10K person crowd, and only have 2K people show up....?

Way, way too many variables here, it's highly likely to be an epic fiasco.
    Rain is the biggest variable
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Oh, yeah, I'm sure this South Park watching child is, like, so cool he's going to get the big hug from the cool race people. Snork, snork.

Is everybody here 16, and I just didn't know?

South Park. How can anybody older than 20 watch that shit? You know, people who discovered girls.
    Just saw this. Lol. Benny the dinosaur.

I'm not cool. I'm just not an ass hole like you.

^Ha ha... Benny = Barney

Idk... they had it pretty well covered last fall. Granted, you never fucking know, but I wouldn't bet against them.

And I am totally there. Should be an amazing event and turnout. [anti-jinx]
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BGSTi_403 View Post
    Sure do - for a number of years too. But a couple of things:

- Bansko has 5,000'+of lift serviced vert
    - Race course starts at around 9,000' in elevation
    - Race happens in March, when they have had 4 months to accumulate / produce snow

Which brings me to a question: in Bansko, they usually close the race course for up to 6 weeks before the race to shape, freeze, groom, etc the base which is 5'+

In some years, Kmart may only get 1 week of snowmaking weather prior to Thanksgiving, and even with a big snowmaking push every year, they barely go top-to-bottom by then.

How are they going to guarantee the snow cover is up to code for this event?
    I've only been skiing for 30 years or so but I'm pretty sure you don't need five feet of snow to lay race skis over on ice.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Killington is owned by morons

Per Alpinezone Greg, Killington not only has the best snow in the US, it has the best snowmaking capabilities as well! And "hot Italian Jersey babes" to boot! I bet he's rubbing one out thinking about the excitement of the US women tearing up his playground.

My dad sent my this announcement about tickets for this going on sale just this morning. Even he (not a huge skier) mentioned how the eff can they promise snow, or even snow making temps that early in the season. Even beaters like my dad get it. No offense dad

EDIT: I hope to hell it sells out keeps my condo rented. Usually stays rented anyway, but this can't hurt.

The Olympics will never return to Whiteface because the NY state government, corrupt as it is, are pikers compared to the scum that run the IOC, and will never dip their toes into that cesspool until it's cleaned up, which looks very unlikely, because FIFA is taking up all of those legal resources right now.

I just think that POWDR is a bunch of idiots. I thought that when they shut down the annual party (using state patrol!) at the base of Bear at K the first year they owned the place. A thirty year tradition, and those idiot Mormons thought they could bring their stupid values to the northeast without any consequences. Lost a ton of customers and customer loyalty with that one, and have been trying to fix that for a few years now. Who the fuck was behind that? Did they do any market research at all? Hey, I don't tailgate and hang at the party, but hundreds and thousands do. Pretty fucking stupid. And now this race. Hey, they lost PC due to stupidity, but, somehow, they own the race? What kind of crony corruption is that? Pick the best venue, not the buddy to another buddy's ski hill in Vermont, because he's all sad that he lost his western hill.

If you want real freaks, you always gotta go FIFA first...

Chuck Blazer, former President of CONCACAF, lived in two apartments on the 49th floor [of Trump Tower]". The second of the two apartments was occupied mainly by his cats.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-unruly-cats/

Somehow they'll scrape this event together, but the weather will fully determine at what cost. I'm just hoping it doesn't affect their regular early season schedule TOO badly, last year my home mountain didn't open until January.

I have the misfortune of skiing at Bachelor Butte before and since powder came into town. I won't go on about that rapid decline, but I am curious about the tail-gater they shut down at killington. When did that happen? Sounds like the same crap "YOU WILL DO AS WE SAY" attitude they brought out west.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    I have the misfortune of skiing at Bachelor Butte before and since powder came into town. I won't go on about that rapid decline, but I am curious about the tail-gater they shut down at killington. When did that happen? Sounds like the same crap "YOU WILL DO AS WE SAY" attitude they brought out west.
    The BMMC? It's a shell of it's former self. They banned the party, then allowed it in the parking lots, then brought it back, then they pissed off the one guy who was holding a large BBQ because they though he was making them look bad, so he doesn't do it any more. It was pretty tiny last year.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post

It happened the first year Powdr owned Killington. Took a ton of people by surprise. Like I said, major season ending event at Kmart for a long time. They brought the goddamn state police into the parking lots like storm troopers to put it all down. What were they thinking? It was easy for any family to avoid, if that was their issue. Shit, I skied there for years and never really had to deal with it, because it was confined to Bear, out of sight and mind. They've been trying to walk that one back ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post

There's a big difference between early season and late season conditions. It may be warm in April, but they're working with a pretty decent base. Bear doesn't even open until January sometimes, as far as early season goes.

Plus, you can see the entire length of Outer Limits from the bottom of the hill and the lodge. You only see a small portion of Superstar from the bottom, and the lodge is positioned awkwardly to spectate from. As said above, it's way outdated for crowds, too. Duck, tall people.

Bachelor Butte in Bend Oregon used to have one of the longest seasons in the country (closing date the 4th of july) and free ski lessons for every kid in the Bend school system. Then Bachelor got the benefit of Powder Corp's visionary leadership and all that ended. Oh well, at least they manage to consistently charge more money for less mountain year after year.

SOLD OUT....

release said something about likely not adding more seats, but plenty of room at the "base area" for spectators. I mean if they want to "spectate" and not really see anything but the finish line...cmon up!

Whatever. I'll watch the debacle on TV
    Between this and Benny's predictions about Magic I'm guessing he's consumed enough crow to last a lifetime.

Hope you actually were watching, Benny. Seems Kmart did about as good a job as any other WC venue does--and probably better than some.
    [quote][//quote]

You got lucky. A few more degrees, and no lucky snow a few days before,........

Not really. The week before it had been in the low 20's up there every night, maybe even colder. They had no problem getting that base down. Seriously, how often is Killington unable to put a fair amount of snow down by Thanksgiving? I'm sure it's probably happened, but I can't recall it (back in the day I used to count on skiing there by the end of October, and definitely had a few days during the first week of October).

They did exactly what I expected--put more guns on Superstar than even seemed possible (they had one gun every 6m--I've never seen so much snow being made in one place). They weren't taking chances, and I think passing the snow control was almost a formality. I know you want to be Trump-like in this, but I really don't see any way this was close to not succeeding.
    [quote][//quote]

How quickly you forgot last year.

Besides, succeeding for whom? The racers? The other people who gave a fuck? Killington? The latter probably lost a ton of money. But, I guess I'm going to be subjected to that hype from the beast for a long time. WC, FTW! Woot woot.

Effect of eating crow is grasping at straws? Who knew?

How quickly you forgot last year.

Besides, succeeding for whom? The racers? The other people who gave a fuck? Killington? The latter probably lost a ton of money. But, I guess I'm going to be subjected to that hype from the beast for a long time. WC, FTW! Woot woot.
    In Bennys world success isn't a possibility.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime