Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I'm agreeing with you. Calm down. Beautiful town. Much nicer than Rutland. Big summer trade, too.

It can't snow soon enough...
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'm agreeing with you. Calm down. Beautiful town. Much nicer than Rutland. Big summer trade, too.
    chill pill taken

congrats to powdr, but killington is a dump and then there is rutland. oh my, and I am not talking about all the bad press from the drug issues there. it is a decaying city.

Yes Killington is a shit hole. Grew up skiing Pico/Killington... Would so much rather stay over at Pico.

That being said having a WC event there is an awesome opportunity for the area and for the large community of racers and fans on the east coast that hasn't held a WC since WC finals at Waterville if I'm not mistaken.

In theory it's a great venue as well. Yes it's not Aspen (which it replaces) but Super Star is a great race hill for women. The trail ends right at the bottom of the resort which will lead to bigger crowds and better likelihood that the race will be a success and continue in the future. This is a huge issue with the men's WC events at BC. Having that finish line so far up the hill just limits patrons and exposure. If I remember correctly this is an issue with Iceface as well. I remember going to watch World Jrs there eons ago and having to walk a ways up from the base area to get to the finish.

This will be a huge boost for the local economy that time of year as well as potentially creating better conditions in that area of the Mtn for skiers after the event is over (provided they don't fuck up the injection like Aspen a few years back) as they will be forced to blow a lot more snow on not only superstar but most likely surrounding trails as well.

Only issue is weather that time of year. Hopefully it's cold enough to make it happen.

Cummings aren't Mo either.

There are plenty of lodging options between Ludlow and killington. No one is going to be partying in rutcan. I also picture this happening on supahstar. What a scene that could be. Massive parking lot party.
    Again, I really hope this happens!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Yeah, I'll bet the international ski race travelling circus is going to be really impressed with Rutland and up the access road to the base. First class accommodations along with fine food. Oh, and the service! I almost forgot! Well trained, smiling, and courteous.

By the second night, most will be looking at their phones, wondering where they are winding up next, and how soon. It ain't Beaver or Kitzbuhel, that's for sure. It ain't even Vermont with all the little village with the white steeple in the valley charm thing. But that's how NBC will try to spin it.
    I have no clue where most will sleep, now that I think of it, unless the nightly rate goes up to a grand and more on the free market, which it may. Talk about profit. But, then, the dust settles after a few days, and it the same old same old old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Why in any way, shape, or form would it make more sense to hold the first EC WC event since 91 up in bumfuck Adirondackland? When was the last time there was even a WC event at Whiteface? Weren't the 91 events at Waterville or somewhere?

I guess you're saying that because Whiteface has existing facilities (from 1980!) the WC should go there (BTW, I've raced on that hill and it is a great venue as far as the trail goes, so from a purely skiing perspective it makes sense, but the WC has other ($$) concerns)--but that's not how the selection works. This is a single stop on the WC circuit, not the Olympic games. Killington can throw up some stands in a week and be basically ready to host this thing (yes, I understand the technical work on the hill that needs to be done--I'm guessing the hill has already been homologated). And Killington itself is actually better suited to hosting a major skiing event (especially in November) than Whiteface is (which is one of many reasons the Olympics will never return to Lake Placid).

Benny, have you ever been at a WC event or worked on something like that?

(Still possible Killington's owners are morons and everyone will take a bath on this, but I don't understand the Lake Placid part of this equation.)
    We host the World Cup moguls and Aerials every year. Its amazing to watch. Why not the downhill events? I volunteer when I can and get some cool perks from an easy and fun gig.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Fuck Whiteface.
    Have it where people can drive to and it's gonna rock!
    This is will be a great way to kick off a season. The energy will be huge!
    Superstar or the recently renovated Highline?
    I hope this happens!
    Dude, that's harsh. We have roads. You CAN actually drive here. Its a beautiful drive too

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    LP has great facilities for a wc race and plenty of lodging

Exactly. Everything is basically in place.

I'm curious out of all you guys that are bashing Whiteface and Lake Placid, how many of you have actually spent any time here? There are hotels, motels, vacation rentals, and different lodging to host the world cup easily. Whiteface hosts big races all the time.

Don't hate on the face. or LP. its a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, I'll bet the international ski race travelling circus is going to be really impressed with Rutland and up the access road to the base. First class accommodations along with fine food. Oh, and the service! I almost forgot! Well trained, smiling, and courteous.

By the second night, most will be looking at their phones, wondering where they are winding up next, and how soon.
    Benny, this is just bitching for the sake of bitching at this point, isn't it? Using that logic half the teams would have hung themselves in Lake Placid by the second night out of shear boredom. Do you honestly believe accommodations in Lake Placid or Wilmington NY are so much more luxurious? You think the Austrian team is really going to confuse some dumpy little B+B with St. Moritz? Three words that could strike fear into the heart of any world traveler: upstate New York. Most of the teams and officials will probably never even see Pico, let alone Rutland (which is kind of like VT's version of upstate NY).

I'll tell you how it will go: they'll all fly into JFK and the top brass and athletes will squeeze in a day or two for NYC before puddle jumping up to Lebanon. Whisked right to the Killington Grand where they'll be feted by Powdr's top brass and assorted others. Training and races over the next few days before puddle jumping back to JFK and off to the western US/Canada. The guys who run all the FIS and KMS races (some of whom go out to the Beav to work on the Birds of Prey races) will have things so finely oiled that even the French will struggle to find something to complain about (aside from the food, obviously).

The only risk I see is if it's 60 degrees and raining, which is always possible--but I think that was the case for about half the races in Europe last year. And it's a given that Killington has its shit together in terms of dumping 20 feet of manmade onto Superstar.

They race in Bansko fucking Bulgaria every year--for some of the teams Kmart will be like the New York Palace (there are only about 1000 condos all around the base area, most of which are huge compared to what you get in Euroland).
    [quote][//quote]

I see that you haven't spent much time in Lake Placid recently. It's much much nicer than, well, Rutland and Rt. 4. It is far from "upstate NY". It ain't Plattsburgh. Fuck, it has serious ski racing history, too. Cool bobsled run.

Whatever. I'll watch the debacle on TV and then pray for early snow for real skiing. All the money shitheads will make their coin, and jump on their puddlejumpers, as you say, and it probably won't impress a soul about KMart. Anybody who skis knows what's happening in Vermont, before they jump on the plane for their one week out west.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    We host the World Cup moguls and Aerials every year. Its amazing to watch. Why not the downhill events?[
    As I said before, I think the race hill is excellent--probably far better than anything Killington would use. If the only consideration was the quality of the events (the skiing), Whiteface would win hands down (well, except if you're talking about a DH which is kind of a joke for the bottom, flat part of the mountain but which you'd have to do for the Olympics--I think Whiteface just barely hits the men's minimum vert). But I think it's very problematic for spectators, and you can't really compare the Alpine WC to freestyle--probably 5 times the size in terms of everything (ski gear, athletes/coaches, reps/techs, officials, assorted hangers on and press). And depending on venue 10-100x more fans.

I'm curious out of all you guys that are bashing Whiteface and Lake Placid, how many of you have actually spend any time here? There are hotels, motels, vacation rentals, and different lodging to host the world cup easily. Whiteface hosts big races all the time.

Don't hate on the face. or LP. its a good spot.
    I like it--don't know it that well but have enjoyed it and like the skiing history that's there (flattest mogul course on the WC, though!). Some decent skiing, too. I just don't think LP is anything close to what WC Alpine is looking for (again, probably mostly comes back to $$--and a lot of political bs). If I were running the Olympics and had to do it on the EC I'd put it there (but I'd also probably eliminate all the events except for skiing and hockey--maybe luge for fun. And I'd revive ski ballet for sure and make them wear neon fartbags.).
    [quote][//quote]

Placid is pretty nice. Route 4 and the access road don't compare

Killington is owned by morons

I get that placid is sweet. I caught Phish there in '96, what a shitshow. Downtown was not ready for that wookfest. It is a great town, way cooler than central VT. No nans beautiful town
    But think about how many people are within 4-5 hours of killington. It's a no brainer All the prep schools and academy's and colleges. It's gonna rock! Killington will make this an event that the athletes look forward too. The support will be unanimous.
    Party!
    Last edited by buttahflake; 10-02-2015 at 04:09 PM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I hope it works out. Kudos to Powdr if they pull it off, maybe it will be a new beginning. KMart is a great hill.

My SO lives between Manchester and rut-vegas, I will probably end up there sooner or later. I have already worked in rut-vegas once. When I compare rutland to burlington, I just wonder what went wrong.

The neighborhoods at the north end of town have beautiful old homes that are dilapidated. Proctor is gorgeous. It's just a shame what happened to rutland. When I worked in town, I just used to shake my head at the locals. Everyone is related, it is like appalachia.

Burlington vs Rutland? The U of V, for one, and the incredible natural beauty of the Burlington waterfront facing the Daks. Burlington still has it's issues, but, it's too pretty and filled with too many smart people to become Plattsburgh.

Yes Killington is not up to par when it comes to the luxury and food of the western resorts but it is so far down the list as far as importance and honestly USSA doesn't give two shits about what the Austrians think of Rutland. There is plenty of lodging for the teams and all the shit that goes along with the circus. Plus it's women and it's tech events so there won't be nearly as many people if it was a speed event. If the race is pulled off successfully and attendance is on par with what they expect then they will do it again the next year.

I doubt Killington is thinking it's gonna get a lot of repeat business from Europe due to this event (who would fly from Europe to ski in VT?) it probably just comes down to a way to increase revenue at a slow time of the year and have their resort on National TV.

This event is all about trying to grow the sport. It is much easier to get so many more people to the event than when it's in CO.

It'll be interesting to see if they try to do a City event in Boston in years to come. Night SL from the top of the roof at Fenway maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post

(who would fly from Europe to ski in VT?)

Good question, if you consider Britain part of Europe. There has been a fairly large group of Brits there for years, basically arriving after the Presidents Week rush. I know, I have always been perplexed at the phenomenon, and queried the well mannered and well spoken Brits a lot on the lifts. Best I can tell, it's cheaper than the Alps, and they seem to like it. I always leave them with, take a Xanax and keep on flying to Denver. You'll like it more. I don't understand why they aren't in France, but, I guess they like us more. I guess we're more their peeps. There's a lot of nasty history between the French and them. I guess. Weird.

Benny I get why you hate this country. You live in hell.
    One up is a way of life.
    Get north and it gets ugly, but it gets way more real. Lack of pretension is a good trait.
    People like genuine people
    No one likes an asshole from the tri-state
    Just like no one wants to deal with a Frenchman. Pretentious dickweeds suck, no matter where you are.
    Is the west filled with dickweeds, yep.
    New England is pretty fucking chill, Benny. It doesn't surprise me that the Brits come back year after year.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Killington is like the Seaside New Jersey of the ski world. That's where they should have done the Apres Ski reality tv show.

So who gives any fucks about that place other than that weird guy that wouldn't shut up about the place exploding or whatever and his buddy that loves Steamboat.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Killington is like the Seaside New Jersey of the ski world. That's where they should have done the Apres Ski reality tv show.
    Last season for me at Kmart
    November 3rd-May 24th
    How long was yours?
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

Last season for me at Kmart
    November 3rd-May 24th
    How long was yours?
    Take a lap
    Meh....still don't give a fuck. That sounds like a lot of days skiing shitty shit.

Anyways, relax, I'm totally fucking with you.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Meh....still don't give a fuck.
    Apathetic losers who ski only when it's bluebird/pow.
    Meh... Your skills suck westerners
    crab in my shoe mouth

May 24? I don't ski mud. Buy a bike.

I have a stable of bikes, Benny
    Me likes rides
    crab in my shoe mouth

I'll head up there and drink some beers with you Buttah, getting stoked already! COWBELL!

j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Apathetic losers who ski only when it's bluebird/pow.
    Meh... Your skills suck westerners
    This is awesome. I know, if you can ski shitty shit at Killington you can ski anywhere in the world! blah blah blah. No one cares how core you are. Ya it's true, I'm sort of a fair weather skier and I totally admire the tenacity of some people and especially of the core right. It's great, I'm not into it but I am impressed non the less.

I read this hearing Donald Trumps voice. It was funny for me. xoxoxo