Durango/Silverton weekday BC partners

Experienced splitboarder and avy savy. 5 years in the durango area. All my friends are weekend warriors. Who wants to get after it on the weekdays?

silverton area weekday BC

will be in the area month of february. solo traveler. also avy savvy. secured the addie s hut, feb 21-25, on top of Red. Great hut, look online--won't let me post link.

Great access to US Basin, surrounding areas. Sunday to Thursday.

no ski partners yet. looking for anyone with a little fitness and some avy xp to partner up with.

maybe you're interested.

A few of us are planing a multi-hut trip over there, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by once/year View Post
    will be in the area month of february. solo traveler. also avy savvy. secured the addie s hut, feb 21-25, on top of Red. Great hut, look online--won't let me post link.

Great access to US Basin, surrounding areas. Sunday to Thursday.

no ski partners yet. looking for anyone with a little fitness and some avy xp to partner up with.

maybe you're interested.
    I'm interested, but probably won't know until closer to that time. I understand there may not be spaces available somewhat last minute.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

To be honest I think the hut system around here is not that great. Most terrain can be accessed from the road. Huts are overpriced and some even require catering and other bs. I recommend a vrbo in town. You have more skiing options and you can hang in silverton at night.

Following the hut tangent, with regard to Red Mountain Pass, I'd agree ^^^. The huts around there are not far off the road. But the old Treasure Mountain and existing Bonne Belle Hut http://www.bonniebellecabin.com/ are pretty far up a different drainage that doesn't see as much traffic and has access to a lot of acreage.

That said, I'm around there most mid Februaries and usually do some kind of tours just off RMP. But I'm a checkenshit about doing big lines like Red or Turk and usually just f00nt around less exposed slopes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

That's true about Bonnie belle, but after multiple trips to bc and staying in hits for $5-15 per night I just can't do it.

Understood. Supply and demand though, especially with the new San Juan building regs.

Can usually find a rental in town for half that. And by doing so have access to way more terrain. 550 corridor is not crowded and has tons of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    Can usually find a rental in town for half that. And by doing so have access to way more terrain. 550 corridor is not crowded and has tons of skiing.
    This is bullshit! 550 is stoopid crowded, hotels are crazy expensive, skiing sucks and it's usually fuckin raining! DONT EVER GO THERE, IT BLOWS!!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Staying in town is a great option, but there is a special joyful delirium staying in a hut, be it in the San Juans, BC or Yurp that I think is different enough to warrant calling it out. Going out to scope the stars when it's calm or just standing near the door if it's a baler, making food, being isolated up in the mountains with friends. It's just cool.

Tried to rent the opus hut last year on somewhat short notice. The guy was requiring us to let him cater. F that. We've got snowmobiles and plenty of capable cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Staying in town is a great option, but there is a special joyful delirium staying in a hut, be it in the San Juans, BC or Yurp that I think is different enough to warrant calling it out. Going out to scope the stars when it's calm or just standing near the door if it's a baler, making food, being isolated up in the mountains with friends. It's just cool.
    Agreed! BC and Yurp huts are the shit (so I've heard)! San Juans blow
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I've already secured the addie s just off 550 on RMP, but thanks for the advice. Dont mind its access to the road, or missing out out on silverton bars. I'll be coming off a 4-day tour from RMP to telluride, so a bed and a woodstove are all I'll care about.

So I'll bump this thread closer to feb 21-25, see if folks are interested in anything. Mostly looking for bc partner or two to head up for chill tours in the u.s. basin area. Since I'm solo, and the addie s has plenty of space, that's simply an additional option, and anyone interested can make a gametime call. BusterH is 100 percent right--There's just something about being out there, even in a fancy more-or-less roadside quasi-hut, really more of a cabin, like the addie s.

Will be in silverton/t-ride/ouray/ophir all of feb, unless El Gordo does not materialize. Reach out if you like to ski.

I hope some of you mags are out on RMP today with your rock skis gettin some.

Winter!

I'll be coming down for my free day at Silverton and wouldn't mind a day or two in the BC. Real flexible. Whats wrong with Silverton's web site? Locked up.

Anyone heading out next Wednesday/Thursday? I'll be coming through to ski silverton on the weekend. Would love to get some turns in. I'm avy minded, not the slowest, and will buy you a round for showing me around.
    Last edited by Skip Dooley; 01-08-2016 at 01:30 PM.