Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting Into Trail Running?

So I'm crazy busy with school and kind of bored with mountain biking. I need something new to do that's inexpensive and keeps me healthy. I just turned 40 and I'm not in top notch fitness form right now, I'm not fat or anything just not as lean as I'd like to be. Is trail running a good thing to get into? Is it boring? Do I have to wear those funny looking shorts? Is it going to fuck my already fucked up body more?

Thanks.

Smile

Best kind of running there is IMO. Wear whatever is comfortable, shoes with trail running tread are nice, but not necessary for a lot of trail running.

But yeah, you should probably buy the latest and greatest shoe, those little water bottles that go on your hands, GPS watch, compression running tights before you even attempt. Also make sure to sign up for mapmyrun so you can humble brag. Will probably need an instagram account for the obligatory selfie at the high point.

Edit- you will probably need to develop a shoe quiver. Budget $800 to get into this sport.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Trail running is nice. This is a great time of year to start too. The leaves are changing. Temps are modest. Build some fitness now and then you ought to have the trails to yourself once the snow really begins to accumulate.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Thanks. What kind of milage should I start out with?

Don't forget to link mapmyrun account to Twitter and Facebook, plan for at least an additional 2 hours a week for social networking this new sport. Make sure to let everyone you know you may be contemplating a marathon.

Outside of the above, I dig trail running just wish i lived somewhere I could do it right out the back door, seems counterproductive sometimes to get in the car and drive 20 min to go for a run.

Not far. That's for sure. Build the miles and speed slowly. Walk intermittently if you need to. Don't push too hard cuz, at 40, you're old as fuck and you'll tear shit up if you try to go for big mileage and distance before you have a good athletic base. Just get out there a couple of times a week and see how your bits and pieces hold up. It'll be obvious if you overdo it, ya know?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Don't forget to link mapmyrun account to Twitter and Facebook, plan for at least an additional 2 hours a week for social networking this new sport. Make sure to let everyone you know you may be contemplating a marathon.

Outside of the above, I dig trail running just wish i lived somewhere I could do it right out the back door, seems counterproductive sometimes to get in the car and drive 20 min to go for a run.
    There are trails right out the door. Not great biking ones tho and that's part of the thing with biking, I have to drive across town to the trail head.

I'm thinking facebook updates about my training for a marathon and a big winter of ski touring will get a lot of likes. I'll probably do a lot of hash tags too like, #Trainingsohard #ThiswinterI'mgoingoff! #soblessed #lovelife etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    There are trails right out the door. Not great biking ones tho and that's part of the thing with biking, I have to drive across town to the trail head.

I'm thinking facebook updates about my training for a marathon and a big winter of ski touring will get a lot of likes. I'll probably do a lot of hash tags too like, #Trainingsohard #ThiswinterI'mgoingoff! #soblessed #lovelife etc.
    This is a solid, fucking plan. Within a few weeks you'll have 1,000 new "friends," and not a single old one. But you'll have the kind of portfolio that can easily get you a position as the fifth man in an eight-man dragon boat crew, or maybe even a spot as the third alternate to run "support" for a major ultramarathoner.

Seroiusly, though, there are trails outside, you known what a running shoe looks like, and presumably you know your own body. There really shouldn't be any other questions. I take up trail running about twice or three times a year, I highly recommend it. The taking it up part at least, you get one good jog in, you feel great, then you don't do it again for a few months.

What kind of milage should I start out with?
    Trail running rule #1: Think time, not miles. Start with, say, a 30 or 45 minute jog/walk. Don't get all macho stupid and run the uphills if it's more efficient to walk them. World class ultrarunners walk some uphills. (Yeah, they can walk uphill fast as fuck, but it's walking nonetheless.)

Typical conversation among ultrarunners goes something like this:
    "Did you run yesterday?"
    "Yup, I ran four."
    "Good work. I got only three in."
    Translation: One guy ran 4 hours; the other guy ran 3 hours.

Trail running rocks. I don't think it's boring because I like the scenery on trails I go on and usually include a peak or high point. I hate running laps at a track or on roads, and I think the unevenness of trails helps develop more muscle groups.

I use regular shoes with extra forefoot cushioning - Asics Gel-Nimbus in my case - and shorts that are a little longer to prevent chafing - Patagooch Nine Trails I think. I run on rocky trails so I like my shoes with extra forefoot cushioning or protection. I've seen some nice shoes supposedly designed for trail running, but I don't believe they're necessary. It might be worth getting some advice on what fits/suits your foot from a running shop. I know what works for my foot so usually pick up last year's at a discount.

I wear shades usually - light ones, with sticky-type pads.

My distance varies on how I feel, elevation gain, weather, time available, etc. Solid advice above from Cruiser and Big Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Trail running rule #1: Think time, not miles. Start with, say, a 30 or 45 minute jog/walk. Don't get all macho stupid and run the uphills if it's more efficient to walk them. World class ultrarunners walk some uphills. (Yeah, they can walk uphill fast as fuck, but it's walking nonetheless.)

"Did you run yesterday?"
    "Yup, I ran four."
    This...just like mountain biking is to road biking, a 5 mile run on a trail is vastly different than 5 miles on pavement. I like trails because they keep your mind active vs running on the road gets boring fast.

So I'm crazy...
    We know- that's why you're here.

I need something new to do that's inexpensive and keeps me healthy.
    Running shoes (any fucking kind, so long as they fit you properly and don't cause any owies), and a water bottle, or two, as you mileage (and temperatures) increase.

Is trail running a good thing to get into? Is it boring?
    That's for you to decide. Go out and fucking run. Report back here with your conclusions. Happy trails!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post

"Did you run yesterday?"
    "Yup, I ran four."
    I wish I listened to all the good running advice posted by Big Steve and others over the years, but I'm too fucking impatient. I started running regularly a few years ago. I ran too fast and tried to run too many miles without letting my body recover. I got hurt. Had to take time off. Then I'd do it all over again. I knew I what I was doing wrong, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to be able to run fast all day now.

Then I had a conversation with a coworker that opened my mind. He was a D1 college runner who runs 2:30 marathons despite being a busy dad who only runs 4 days a week. He told me, "I get passed all the time by fat fucks who run marathons an hour slower than me. I bet your one of those guys." He was right.

This spring I slowed the fuck down. I get passed by fat fucks who are huffing and puffing. But I can run for a couple hours and wake up feeling pretty fresh the next day. And when I do run hard I'm much faster than before (but still not fast). I made more progress in the past 5 months than in the previous 5 years.

So don't be like me. Walk the hills. Increase the mileage gradually. And run pretty darn slow most of the time.

Don't worry too much about miles or time right now, just go out for an easy short run that is comfortable. Walk when you need to and allow your old fucking body to adapt slow to the changes. As above run slow to go fast, especially for the first six months to a year depending on your body. You will soon find yourself going longer and faster without the injuries or stress. Get a heart rate monitor if you don't have one, figure out your zones and run in the lower zones until you body lets you up your game. (See Big Steve's links in the running thread.)

It has worked for my even fucken older body, and I have not had a single injury or problem. I am off to do another half in about two weeks.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Best part of trail running is no real gear to gather or fiddle with. Put on your shoes and go.
    Big bonus of trail running in the fall is getting strong on the downhills always translates to being ready to ski. At least for me.
    I also agree that walking/hiking is part of trail running. As your fitness improves you'll find yourself running through sections you always used to walk. It is all about time, not distance. Listen to your body too.

Hey thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to try it out this weekend.....I hope. I'm just buried right now with Biology, Nutrition, and Chemistry homework/studying. My biology instructor thinks this intro community school course is taking place at Berkeley or something of the like. It's kind of pissing me off.

Those sound like nursing school weed out classes. Trail running became 95% of my outdoor recreation while doing nursing pre-reqs and in school. Best bang for your buck, after crossfit of course ;-)

I've recently started running instead of riding bikes because of a broken wrist. I ran CC and track all through high school, but was burned out and sick of the pain cave so I stopped running completely and rode bikes after that. Over the years I started and soon stopped running a few times, experiencing all the things mentioned in this thread...going out the door like a hero then walking funny for 4 days afterwards.
    Last year I finally figured out the 'slow' thing and that has helped immensely. Running feels good, and it hits parts of your body that get neglected on the bike.
    With this injury I've been heading out to trails instead of the Sugarhouse Park loop from my house. I wouldn't say I'm so much 'trail running' as doing something else....I call it 'Hogging'. Hiking + jogging = Hogging.

Despite my relative newb status, I would recommend a nice pair of trail running shoes. The wider footprints have great stability for ankles and padding for the bottom of your foot on sharp rock edges. It feels like running on little clouds. You don't have to go full retard with Hokas, there are other, lower profile options out there.

For those who do want to go the Hoka route, watch STP. With a 30-40% discount coupon they are reasonably priced. I got Conquests there, added a high end insole and run the shit out of them. They still feel great, and are my training shoe because they are fairly heavy, especially with the insoles. Race day show is a pretty light weight Clifton, which are like running on clouds after training in the heavier shoe. I now get them even cheaper at a Deckers outlet here in town. Not sure I would pay full retail for Hokas, which are great, but not $180 great.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The best time for trail running is when the horseflies and mosquitoes are in full force.
    Stirring up a wasp nest is also very motivating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Not far. That's for sure. Build the miles and speed slowly. Walk intermittently if you need to. Don't push too hard cuz, at 40, you're old as fuck and you'll tear shit up if you try to go for big mileage and distance before you have a good athletic base. Just get out there a couple of times a week and see how your bits and pieces hold up. It'll be obvious if you overdo it, ya know?
    I love the honesty in these posts.

Really though, solid advice overall, and I think you've got a good base to get out and start. The hardest part is motivating. I like to cross train, doing different activities different days of the week-this keeps me from getting lazy and skipping a session.

I don't see how you can be bored of mountain biking and think running is the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    You don't have to go full retard with Hokas
    You don't have to, but they sure are nice. Just about all I run in these days.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    I like trails because they keep your mind active vs running on the road gets boring fast.
    Your stride is also constantly changing and your perceived speed is higher. Road running makes me want to stab myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    I don't see how you can be bored of mountain biking and think running is the answer...
    Heh, definitely some truth there. 90% of the suffering on the up, 10% of the fun on the down! Still though, running can take you a lot of places a bike can't.

Shoe choice is personal and subjective. I'm currently in Hokas on trail and road because they are easier on my aging body, but I ran most of my ultras and thousands of trail miles in traditional trail shoes, e.g., Brooks Cascadia and PureGrit, Montrails, and finished at least 20 ultras and put in hundreds of trail miles in road running shoes.

Trail running noob should avoid worrying about gear. Just get out there in whatever running shoes you've got, shuffle the flats, walk the uphills and learn to run the downhills. Have fun. And be careful that you don't catch a toe and take a big ol' faceplant.