Mazatlan anyone been there?

I need to go to Mazatlan the first week or two in November to visit my mom her friend, they do a huge amount of sitting around doing nothing and that isn't going to work for me. Been looking on other sites and it seems besides the beach and central market there isn't that much to do. I know I can occupy some of my time by getting shitfaced so I've got that covered. What else?
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

been a number of years, but i took a group tour up to Copala and some other rural places, something like this one. Kinda cheesy, but had a few interesting aspects...and free beer. Could try to catch a game of their AAA semi-pro baseball team. Often there's something going on Sundays, somewhere. Big market, concert, etc...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by teletripper View Post
    I need to go to Mazatlan the first week or two in November to visit my mom her friend, they do a huge amount of sitting around doing nothing and that isn't going to work for me. Been looking on other sites and it seems besides the beach and central market there isn't that much to do. I know I can occupy some of my time by getting shitfaced so I've got that covered. What else?
    https://www.tuscl.net/postread.php?PID=17204

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I've been there, but have no idea what to do aside from sit around and drink. The places I went that summer after I was in Mazatlan were both not that exciting to visit and currently the site of scary drug violence. There were some cool barrier islands up the Sinaloa coast, but that was a few hours north if I remember right. Looking at the map now, it seems like there might be similar places closer, but I'm not sure how safe they are at the moment.

Some cool old art Deco hotels right on the beach with good surf... Surf, eat fish tacos, drink beer, repeat.
    sigless.

Seems like a reasonable plan.

Go watch the bullfights

Take a boat ride over to cabo and do some surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    Take a boat ride over to cabo and do some surfing.
    My take on Mazatlan is that it seems like a place that tried too hard to be something that it is not. Cool.
    Its a bit of a dump along the malecon. Outdated hotels and shitty westernized food.
    The "old town" is quite cool however. As with anywhere in Mexico, the father I get from Westerners and tourists, the better it is.
    As far as taking a "boat" to Cabo, keep in mind its about a 17 hour ferry across the Sea of Cortez to Lapaz.
    I was bike touring and took the truckers ferry to Lapaz, VERY rough seas and quite an experience.
    There is some surfing in Mazatlan but it is not really "in town"
    The "centro" and inner old city provided some great cheap meals while I was there.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

I traveled with a young buck down the whole coast to Zihuatenajo and Mazatlan was the only place the police fucked with us during the 3 week trip. Woke us up in the middle of the night (after taking some stuff) while camping on the beach. Small town and not my favorite! Cool experience but wouldn't do it today. Scary scene down south, I saw lots of AK"s on young soldier boys. Intense having then search our car.

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    My take on Mazatlan is that it seems like a place that tried too hard to be something that it is not. Cool.
    Its a bit of a dump along the malecon. Outdated hotels and shitty westernized food.
    The "old town" is quite cool however. As with anywhere in Mexico, the father I get from Westerners and tourists, the better it is.
    As far as taking a "boat" to Cabo, keep in mind its about a 17 hour ferry across the Sea of Cortez to Lapaz.
    I was bike touring and took the truckers ferry to Lapaz, VERY rough seas and quite an experience.
    There is some surfing in Mazatlan but it is not really "in town"
    The "centro" and inner old city provided some great cheap meals while I was there.

I didn't realize it was actually that far to the tip of the peninsula. There's no surf in the winter in Maz. All swells coming from the north are completely blocked.

I never went to Mex and didn't surf. Activity wise I think the water is going to be your best option. Rent a paddle board, snorkel, scuba, day fish for marlin, go sailing? Lobster is in season year round, well it's not actually in season but you can definitely get it whenever.

http://travel.usnews.com/Mazatlan_Mexico/Things_To_Do/

Cheers, have fun

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    I traveled with a young buck down the whole coast to Zihuatenajo and Mazatlan was the only place the police fucked with us during the 3 week trip. Woke us up in the middle of the night (after taking some stuff) while camping on the beach. Small town and not my favorite! Cool experience but wouldn't do it today. Scary scene down south, I saw lots of AK"s on young soldier boys. Intense having then search our car.
    How long ago was this ? Those kids with guns are "military" I presume on one of the many road checks. My take is that those road checks are looking for guns and drugs and not at all interested in fucking with a tourist but I may be wrong. I had never had my bike bags checked while touring but was quite accustomed to being woken up on a bus ride and having a crew of young soldiers toting guns board the bus and snoop around. For me it made me feel a bit safer.
    The police waking you up and stealing from you is not cool !!
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    How long ago was this ? Those kids with guns are "military" I presume on one of the many road checks. My take is that those road checks are looking for guns and drugs and not at all interested in fucking with a tourist but I may be wrong. I had never had my bike bags checked while touring but was quite accustomed to being woken up on a bus ride and having a crew of young soldiers toting guns board the bus and snoop around. For me it made me feel a bit safer.
    The police waking you up and stealing from you is not cool !!
    That was 15 years ago! And yes the road check "kids" weren't too bad but they did single out the gringos n the old BMW. Those were random though.

Going through the each state crossing wasn't bad but at each one we were treated differently.

The camping incident was scary, we were barely dressed and they were demanding money. We refused to unlock the car and they finally left. In AM a bunch of dumb random stuff was missing.

And an old dude jerking off on the beach, that was pleasant but that happened to me in isla mujeres and in Hawaii as well.

So many good memories of the trip outweigh the Mazatlan part! good food, cool towns and genuine people.

El Chapos favorite place.

HS graduation trip there was a guy selling weed by the pool, some how we were dumb enough to get in a cab with him and as soon as we took off the guy turned around and said "policia",

Luckily he was kidding and only stole our money.

I'd go inland. Some of the coolest mountains/canyons in MX are 1-2hrs East of Mazatlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I'd go inland. Some of the coolest mountains/canyons in MX are 1-2hrs East of Mazatlan.
    This is what I'm looking for, I know I'll find photo op's but any suggestions?
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Bump, who’s been recently, what should I hit?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I liked visiting Copala (and we went to some other town? I can't remember) but I'm a sucker for history and old cities with cobblestone streets and old architecture and whatnot. Copala was started by Spanish explorers mining for gold IIRC. Really fun seeing some of the small, old towns outside the city IMO. Also outside of town, Los Osuna tequila farm is a great way to waste a few hours and really cool.

In the city, El Faro lighthouse is free, good excercise, and has absolutely amazing views, recommend a visit there... The Malecon is overrated, but there's a really cool oceanfront infinity pool you should see (by Playa Olas Altas, had to look it up), mostly because right next to that pool, is where the Mazatlan Cliff divers jump from, which is a must-see IMO. (Tip the divers)

Those are a few of the things I remember from when I was there a couple years ago.

My dad got me a titty drink mug from there. Mom was thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    My dad got me a titty drink mug from there. Mom was thrilled.
    They are called "Female Body Positivity Coffee Tea Cup" now.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1032710...sr_gallery-1-4
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    They are called "Female Body Positivity Coffee Tea Cup" now.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1032710...sr_gallery-1-4
    Titties and beer, that’s why I’m here.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy