Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thumbs up Freeride Systems outerwear

Seems like there should be a thread for these threads! MiCol's been cranking out stellar jackets and other gear for a bunch of years and supporting maggot-events and bringing general stoke, but apparently not everyone knows about the best jackets made in USA. And it looks like he's re-vamped the line a bit lately with a lot of light weight Neoshell options, so hopefully he'll fill us in on what's new.

http://www.freeridesystems.com/

My first experience with the Neoshell came thanks to his caption contest last year (above), and I think anyone who gets one of the new jackets in this stuff will be very impressed with how well it beads and breathes--especially when combined with the flow-through ventilation for which Freeride Systems' jackets have been known. The jacket above has a wider temp range than anything I've owned, which I credit to the breathability and the fact that it sheds water instantly on any surface steeper than what you see above--that pic was harder to get than it was to post!

Every feature on the Antero jackets seems completely thought out and tested, from the bomber zippers to the hood and cuffs. It's unusual not to see well-used maggot gear in Gear Swap, but in this case apparently none of us are parting with them, so that maggot discount looks pretty good!

Oh, if you're looking for the Sneffles hooded mid-layer, I think I just saw a L and XL on the site--awesome hoodie, I hope they make more!

Meh, I bought a jacket from their website at a good price. I jacket was fine and heavy duty. About a year later the zipper quit zipping, so I e-mailed them on repairing the zipper and a few weeks later I got a email with instructions on how to properly operate a zipper and that it was my fault the zipper would'nt operate properly and futhermore the jacket had not been washed prior to sending it to them. At least they offered to sell me another jacket at a "great" price. I declined and told them to throw it in the dumpster and I would chalk it up to lesson learned.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Meh, I bought a jacket from their website at a good price. I jacket was fine and heavy duty. About a year later the zipper quit zipping, so I e-mailed them on repairing the zipper and a few weeks later I got a email with instructions on how to properly operate a zipper and that it was my fault the zipper would'nt operate properly and futhermore the jacket had not been washed prior to sending it to them. At least they offered to sell me another jacket at a "great" price. I declined and told them to throw it in the dumpster and I would chalk it up to lesson learned.
    Rare I can put a screen name with purchase. I personally dealt with this issue and you know the details. Here are the details. You sent us a jacket that caused me to have to double bag it after opening due to heavy smoke, pet hair, and dirt. Literally made our entire office eyes water. You purchased during my pay a fourth on the 4th of july near the beginning of me making jackets. That means you paid maybe $60- $75 , I dont remember exactly but I can look it up if needed. None of my sewing people were willing to touch the jacket in that condition. No one was willing to wash it in their home machines and we were looking at sending someone to a commercial laundry to babysit the soiled jacket for several hours. The two way zipper was fouled because you did not operate properly. Not trying to dog you. its a simple fact that's how a two way zipper gets fouled. Before you sent it you were told we would replace zipper for free. Due to the terrible smell and dirt I offered you a brand new replacement for $60 or to send it back. It would have cost you about $30 to use some local seamstress in your area to fix. You balked and told us to pitch it in the garbage and you would be better served with your Mountain Hardware to walk or feed your dogs. I threw it away while it was still double bagged. We learned an important lesson...as much as we try , we cannot make everyone happy.
    Last edited by MiCol; 09-23-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Mike is the man. I've fondled and worn several generations of his gear and I continue to be more and more impressed. As the years go on, the fit, finish and materials just continue to refine and it has been cool as hell to watch. I can't wait to see the new Antero and check out the fresh seam taping! The belts are awesome too- if you don't have a FS belt just get the hell out haha.

He's sent out free gear ever year for Ullrfest without us even asking too... The guy fkn rocks. There is no other way to put it. Dude is maggot to the core and I couldn't be happier for him that all the hard work is paying off.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I have no desire to air dirty laundry on your company or hurt your future sales. Like I said the jacket was fine, the zipper just sucked, and I wanted to see if you would fix it. Your company did'nt seem to want to fix it so I moved on. Your reply e-mail stated that the zippers fall under YKK anyway. Good enough," money over the dam" is what I replyed.

I was lucky enough to win a FS jacket last year and put it through the paces.

I'm impressed enough that I wish they made ski pants...

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I'm impressed enough that I wish they made ski pants...
    FKNA this! The proto pics Mike posted last year have me waiting very patiently...hopefully soon!

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    I have no desire to air dirty laundry on your company or hurt your future sales. Like I said the jacket was fine, the zipper just sucked, and I wanted to see if you would fix it. Your company did'nt seem to want to fix it so I moved on. Your reply e-mail stated that the zippers fall under YKK anyway. Good enough," money over the dam" is what I replyed.
    I don't like leaving things like that situation was left. However, I am up against the wall when the situation was what it was. Your zipper would have been replaced free like we said, had the jacket not been in that condition. I don't think you were being that easy to work with. We will still make it right for you now, but telling me to pitch it in the garbage did not help. We are not VF Corp North Face but I really really try to offer the best customer service possible while operating on razor thin margins and consistently understaffed on the admin side. Anyone that has dealt with me or my company knows that we try to go above and beyond. This is the only instance in 5.5 years that ended like this that I know of. edit: That 2011ish fremont hoodless non seamtaped jacket cost us over $100 to make at the time

^thanks DW and Peruv

^ Pants , next year. I thought maybe this year, but I didnt like the outcome of the convertible bib nor the cuff fabric choice so I decided to hold off to get them to my liking and performance and not to launch this year.
    Last edited by MiCol; 09-23-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I am not butthurt. Good luck.

Top notch gear and a no BS owner who stands behind his product, props Mike to you and your staff. 40+ days on mine with one self induced, mild tear (self repaired) that would have shredded any other jacket I've ever owned. Definitely looking forward to a pair of pants and one of the new Neo's this year. Buy with confidence mags!

I bought an antero 2 jacket, in white, season before last. Thing is bomber and well designed. Repels beer, whisky, tomato salsa and lift shieve spooge with nary a spot. In fact it repels everything but women. It is also warmer than a post menopausal woman, and drier than a nuns vagina (credit Joe strummer for the latter)

Like Peruvian and dutchman I wish Mike made bibs.
    Last edited by TBS; 09-23-2015 at 09:01 PM.

I'm working with Mike to do a polartec hoodie with a FKNA pocket logo .
    Stoked about that hoodie. I got one and loved it so much I wore it all summer.
    Mike has taken care of a lot of maggots a lot better than they've reciprocated his way.

Michael is a first class dick.

Oh, I mean, FKNA ;?)

Seriously, I'd wrap my baby in his shells and shut it up with a belt should I have that economic and romantic [mis]fortune.

Edit to add: If I was broken down in my truck with a kicking and screaming wife and child, the only 3 things I would take would be a FRS shell for the baby, tied into the back of the wife, with a belt to find a truck to help me tow the heep.

To make it clear. And the third thing would be faith that it would get the job done.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 09-23-2015 at 09:50 PM.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Just ordered up a mid-layer hoodie on sale from FRS. The Sneffels - $55. http://www.freeridesystems.com/produ...oodie-midlayer

Super psyched to try er out, and happy to be supporting a mag project. Thanks MiCol!
    sproing!

Yep just ordered a yellow bross, stoked too. Shell might be next, are there some tech docs on the neoshell, or comparisons to other shell fabrics?

It's Polartec; their explanation is here: http://www.polartec.com/product/polartec-neoshell

Subjectively, it works better than other membrane fabrics at sucking out sweat and it actually doesn't block wind as completely, either. Obviously a slight adjustment in layering for high winds fixes any downside there, but I noticed right away that even with thinner layers I was actually still more comfortable than usual as the wind kicked up, I think because no sweat=no clammy cold. Hard to be precise about that, but like I mentioned, it is comfortable over a wider range of temps. I'm going to treat it pretty carefully and hope it lasts forever, but so far so good.

Neoshell is the absolute tits. Best waterproof/breathable membrane on the market, hands down. Polartec claims it's 100% perfectly waterproof, but in my experience (3 different neoshell jackets worn in every season for multiple sports), it will let some moisture through in a heavy deluge or prolonged contact with heavy wet snow, however the breathability is off the charts. Many Neoshell jackets don't even bother with pit zips cause they're not necessary. That's something no Gore-Tex product (any of them) can manage.

I tested a prototype Millet jacket back in Feb using Gore's ProShell intended for retail release this coming season (so the latest and greatest they had to offer) on a 6 hr tour in RMNP and it was like wearing a plastic garbage bag compared to anything in Neoshell. Gore is just way behind the ball in innovation right now and riding their brand recognition. IMO if all you're doing is banging lifts, you may prefer to go with a true hardshell, but if you ever tour, climb, or hike in the jacket, you should really be considering either Neoshell, eVent, or Powershield Pro. You just need to understand how to manage moisture and stay moving to stay warm in the unlikely event you get caught in some seriously shit weather.

I'm all set for jackets this season but would absolutely consider one of MIke's jackets when the time comes for me to replace my trusty Rab (also a Neoshell jacket).

PS Mike - what's the difference between the Antero 2 and Antero 3? (And why is the seemingly older Antero 2 more expensive?)
    PPS - You've got "Malden Mills" spelled incorrectly on the Antero 2 and Antero 3 pages
    Last edited by BrokeSomeRibs; 09-24-2015 at 03:26 AM. Reason: edited for grammarz and speling

Freeride Systems outerwear

I dunno. In my opinion Neoshell is too cold on the lift in storms and too warm when hiking in the calm and sunny (in my baselayer usually). I have no use for it at the resort.

I also do better in softshells when touring and needing protection. Neoshell just doesn't breathe enough. Its pretty rare that we get rain in winter, so a softshell has never let me down - never fully wetted out. Even with wet snow. When its snowing really heavy out here, they're usually decently cold and nasty storms and a very thin puffy is warranted for extra warmth which also provides enough of a barrier if its wet snow.

Its a good 3-season activity material though, imo. Hiking and climbing, etc.

I've always been impressed with Mike's jackets when fondling them and keep wishing I had a need for another jacket instead of already having too many jackets. Keep on making rad stuff, a superlight touring bib (softshell ideally, but I won't hold my breath) would be great, though I know I'm in the minority part of the market for that.

How high up the neck does the Sneffels midlayer go? My biggest issue with hooded midlayers is helmet use, when the layer comes up over the chin there's no way for me to comfortably wear a helmet.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Every feature on the Antero jackets seems completely thought out and tested, from the bomber zippers to the hood and cuffs. It's unusual not to see well-used maggot gear in Gear Swap, but in this case apparently none of us are parting with them, so that maggot discount looks pretty good!
    I've been taking a hard look at the Antero. Can anyone who owns one comment on the arms: are they articulated/gusseted so you can raise your hands above your head without the body moving much or the sleeves slipping down? This jacket will (hopefully) see a fair amount of climbing so that's important to me. What about the fit? Looks like it might be a bit short in the body and long in the arms compared to other companies? Or do people find it pretty proportional?

Also, Mike, what's the difference between the Antero variants: II, II Plus and 3?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I also do better in softshells when touring and needing protection.
    I've got one of those Schoeller Dawn Patrol jackets from BD's original clothing release and it's been pretty good in this respect, while also being reasonably wind-proof, and Utah-snow-proof. But waterproof it is not, nor is my MHW DryQ shell.

@auvgeek - there is all kinds of articulation/range of motion. As far as riding up when arms overhead, there's about 3" of lift at bottom of jacket (draw cord completely loose) when arms are straight up, and the sleeves do not ride up your arm more than maybe 1".

The jackets are quite roomy - I'm 6' & 200+ lbs in an XL. Maybe could have got away with a large, but I like the room for hydration squeeze, beacon, safety meeting gear, etc.

Lemme know if you want more info

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I've always been impressed with Mike's jackets when fondling them and keep wishing I had a need for another jacket instead of already having too many jackets. Keep on making rad stuff, a superlight touring bib (softshell ideally, but I won't hold my breath) would be great, though I know I'm in the minority part of the market for that.
    This. Once some of my other jackets and layers start to wear out I hope to replace them with a Freeride Systems piece. I'd also like a touring bib, but would be fine with Neoshell.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It's Polartec; their explanation is here: http://www.polartec.com/product/polartec-neoshell

Subjectively, it works better than other membrane fabrics at sucking out sweat and it actually doesn't block wind as completely, either. Obviously a slight adjustment in layering for high winds fixes any downside there, but I noticed right away that even with thinner layers I was actually still more comfortable than usual as the wind kicked up, I think because no sweat=no clammy cold. Hard to be precise about that, but like I mentioned, it is comfortable over a wider range of temps. I'm going to treat it pretty carefully and hope it lasts forever, but so far so good.
    What he said in bold. Like I said, I have worn my polartec hoodie in both hot and cold temps and it just seems to make my body temp perfect. It's just one layer, it's not a jacket but, for kicking around in a one layer hoodie that could be incorporated with any other layers, it's the shit. And worthy of the FKNA logo.

Splat, are you talking about polartec softshell material or Neoshell? I was referring to neoshell (much closer to a hardshell, but with some stretch) but as I'm sitting here in my Sneffles it seems clear that comment applies to both in different ways.