Page 54 of 140 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3488
    I'm waiting to pounce when ostrander hut opens april. When my first lottery bid was rejected they sent an availability calendar with all the dates in april reading "n/a".

The fact that they included april on the calendar makes me believe they are thinking about it if we get enough snow...

All this snow must be too much for Kirkwood, they are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Its funny when people get so worked up about avi conditions in Tahoe like its a continental snowpack with serious terrain to manage. I know its nice to show off what you learned in avi 2 with the interwebz but calm down people, its just windslabs and an elusive pwl that will likely be gone by next week. The terrain here is usually so micro, true step down scenarios are very unlikely. Not to mention its hard to find an above treeline slope large enough to produce much more than a true class 2. Just be smart, know your lines, safe zones, how to read and manage terrain, when in doubt clean it before you ski it and stay away from obvious wind loading and its easy to avoid an incident. BTW Im not saying that trauma and burials CANNOT happen on micro terrain but your ability to mitigate that danger is much higher than in big mountain scenarios where hazzards like windslabs can quickly become serious problems. BTW there probably isnt a whole lot worth skiing with the heavy wet snow that just saturated the area until it snows again
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wtr_wallwhite_DestroyedSummitBuildingcreditLarryHeywood2.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	173777

A few folks won't get it
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I assume that's AM 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wtr_wallwhite_DestroyedSummitBuildingcreditLarryHeywood2.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	173777
    that's micro bro

Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

In the big picture ..... it's all micro.

Quote Originally Posted by RaccoonFace View Post
    I know this answer... Probably.

You need to look at your carb on the machine. At the bottom of it is a thing that looks like a cup hanging down that holds magic. At the bottom of this cup of magic is a fastener that can be removed with an open ended wrench (size I don't know).

- Turn gas off
    - Remove this fastener at the bottom of the cup of magic
    - Fuel will pour out but that's cool, wait for it to quit it.
    - Remove the fastener from the bottom of the cup of magic
    - Inspect this fastener

This fastener should be hollow and it will have 1 or 2 holes in it (look around the side of the barrel). I would bet my friend's paycheck that these holes are filled with caramel (lacquer).

If this is the case:
    - Get solvent and clean out these holes
    -- Do not use a sharp doodad to open these up because you can change the size of the hole and then it has the potential to run poorly.

This entire process may take 10 mins.
    Do i get to pick your friend whose paycheck i get? I mean c'mon it took two weeks not 10 minutes. Actually, it was very similar.
    The cup of magic

There was actually no magic in the cup, but there was this. Poured it out. Wiped it down. Poured some of the sea foam in there and pushed the spring loaded doodad a couple times to make sure it wasn't stuck.

Put everything back on and plowed the driveway.
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4269.JPG 
Views:	936 
Size:	287.5 KB 
ID:	173781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4271.JPG 
Views:	910 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	173782  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

It was really warm today at 7800. Cream cheese city out there.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

So, the snow at KW. A good two feet fell on Monday. During the day. Perhaps more. It was dense, but skiing the lower mountain was plenty fun. So, not that super wet stuff. But it was howling all day. We tried for CP after picking up my son from ski school (dude was out all fucking day), but after inching up for an hour, at about the same rate as cars turning back, we decided to head back at 5 or so. By then there was another several inches on the ground. We got back into the cabin, I dug out a parking spot on a pad, cleaned up the path, and dug out the back porch which had gotten buried in a roof slid. It was raining at 6:40. Hard enough for me to hear in from the ground floor. Which is essentially buried in snow now. There was about 10" of new snow on the ground. Super, heavy, wet, saturated to the bottom snow. We left around 8:20, over CP. Spur looked like it had not even been plowed since Monday afternoon. Never saw a snow flake. Lots of rain. Quick, easy drive down 50. Lots of down pours. Whatever snow was at 7750' or lower got very, very saturated today.

It was a blast to be in the valley as the snow piled up. Arrive mid day Friday, to clouds and wind. Woke up Saturday to a legit powder morning. It was a complete ghost town until 10:30 on Saturday. Almost eerie. Have not had a weekend like this in years.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I assume that's AM 1982...
    Yes. 7 killed, Anna Conrad lost her leg to frostbite after being buried for days. If you ski Bernie's Bowl it's named after Bernie Kingery, the mountain manager. If you ski Jake's--Jake Smith, a patroller. Powfiend has a point thought--all of the serious Sierra avalanches I'm aware of were during or immediately after storms. I'm not aware of any attributed to a PWL but I could certainly be wrong about that.

The most impressive evidence of avalanches I've seen were in the Dusy Creek/LeConte Canyon area, where my wife and were backpacking in the late 80's in July--can't remember the year. As we headed down Dusy Creek and then up Le Conte Canyon, every time we had to cross a creek or drainage we found ourselves scrambling over downed 3-4 foot diameter logs piled 3-5 high. Across the canyon was a 1500 foot slope with a swath of downed mature timber the length of the slope and a hundred yards across. There were still patches of avalanche snow on the canyon floor but none on the slopes above.

Spent the last 3 days at Northstar...I guess it kind of paid off as we did get to ski...some decent turns yesterday on Martis and Promised Land between drying out every other run in the Zephyr lodge. Today was soft groomer city but I was skiing with the kids anyway and they had a blast...so a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Woke up Saturday to a legit powder morning. It was a complete ghost town until 10:30 on Saturday. Almost eerie. Have not had a weekend like this in years.
    Fuck yeah. I rocked up at 9am and figured I stepped into some wormhole that took me back to Kirkwood 1995.

For starters, it took me 5 laps before I tracked out this whole zone by myself.

Then there was a 5-man Chinese downhill when Eagle popped around midday, then it was a nonstop powder orgy for the rest of the day. Best first day of the season I've had in years.

On Sunday, me and Clack went gaping at the Heave, sipping almond-milk lattes in our Bogners in between zipperlines on Comet .

Sunday night drive back was a shit show full of cupcakes who need to get some chains (File Photo #1 and #2 below)

Didn't you hear me? I said GET SOME CHAAAAINS, YOU CUPCAKES!!!!!!!

Name:	IMG_6546.JPG 
Views:	1313 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	173789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6541.JPG 
Views:	1317 
Size:	548.4 KB 
ID:	173790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6560.JPG 
Views:	1314 
Size:	424.5 KB 
ID:	173791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1393864093.318056.jpg 
Views:	1308 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	173787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1393864075.363273.jpg 
Views:	1289 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	173788  

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

Split Kook!

He said with a shit eating grin.

Good to know you are out and about

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Split Kook!

He said with a shit eating grin.

Good to know you are out and about

Name:	turtle-rick.jpg 
Views:	1297 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	173792  

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

Hugz and kissez.

Rip it up. You ski stuff I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Hugz and kissez.

Rip it up. You ski stuff I don't.
    Meet me at Bub's and I'll buy you a Coors Light

It's gonna be April before I get there

Doing some weekend warriorism around the Wood this weekend if anyone wants to link up. On a split and verts for either Wood sidecountry or C-Pass. Anyone heading up?

AC work on the Buttress at Alpine from yesterday with some funky beats keeping the vibe while the trees snap. https://www.facebook.com/WilliamMaun...2449625213440/ I've watched it five times on repeat, so...

^^ That was some micro shit right there.

SuPu that third shot was sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The most impressive evidence of avalanches I've seen were in the Dusy Creek/LeConte Canyon area, where my wife and were backpacking in the late 80's in July--can't remember the year. As we headed down Dusy Creek and then up Le Conte Canyon, every time we had to cross a creek or drainage we found ourselves scrambling over downed 3-4 foot diameter logs piled 3-5 high. Across the canyon was a 1500 foot slope with a swath of downed mature timber the length of the slope and a hundred yards across. There were still patches of avalanche snow on the canyon floor but none on the slopes above.
    Some pretty sizable paths in LeConte Canyon. Given snowfall history, maybe 1986?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    The terrain here is usually so micro, true step down scenarios are very unlikely. Not to mention its hard to find an above treeline slope large enough to produce much more than a true class 2.
    While I agree with much of what you said, the above is ludicrous. Whether you're talking Canadian (D2) or American (R2), both happen frequently.
    R3 - Medium relative to path (this should be a no brainer)
    D3 - Could bury and destroy a car, damage a truck, destroy a small building or break a few trees.

Here's one on Red Lake Peak that regularly goes D3 and bigger

The view from Google earth. Note the lack of trees in the path as well as the adjacent paths

Name:	red-lake-200.jpg 
Views:	1471 
Size:	414.3 KB 
ID:	173814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	1423 
Size:	360.7 KB 
ID:	173815  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Hey Reno Folk,

Did you feel that quake overnight?

Magnitude 4.4
    Date-Time

23 Dec 2015 06:46:07 UTC
    22 Dec 2015 22:46:07 near epicenter
    22 Dec 2015 22:46:07 standard time in your timezone

Location 39.431N 119.789W
    Depth 8 km
    Distances

11 km (6 mi) S of Reno, Nevada
    11 km (6 mi) SSW of Sparks, Nevada
    18 km (11 mi) S of Sun Valley, Nevada
    25 km (15 mi) SSW of Spanish Springs, Nevada
    29 km (17 mi) N of Carson City, Nevada

The heavy snowpack must be destabilizing the fault line!!