Page 39 of 140 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    Another over hyped storm. I knew 12-24" at lake level was total bullshit. I bet we get less than 8" at lake level (I'll put money on that)

"There were some forecast adjustments made to account for latest model trends.... Current forecast amounts range from 1-2 feet in the higher Sierra, 6-12 inches down around Lake Tahoe and Truckee, 8-14 inches for Mammoth Lakes, and little to no accumulation for lower Western NV Valleys"

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Damn that sucks. Is it gonna require surgery or heal by itself?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1449637340.247627.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	581.6 KB 
ID:	173084
    No surgery. It is supposed to fill in with fibrous tissues. From my quick reading it may be the 'best' way to break your neck....
    I'll be back soon. I am not going to stop after 74 months. I will let the subcranial stuff heal awhile, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Another over hyped storm. I knew 12-24" at lake level was total bullshit. I bet we get less than 8" at lake level (I'll put money on that)

"There were some forecast adjustments made to account for latest model trends.... Current forecast amounts range from 1-2 feet in the higher Sierra, 6-12 inches down around Lake Tahoe and Truckee, 8-14 inches for Mammoth Lakes, and little to no accumulation for lower Western NV Valleys"
    Welcome to the thread. Nice first post.
    I'll betcha $5 I get more than 8" at my house in South Lake..
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I wouldn't bet anything....I'm going to need that money for apres beer after skiing a ton of fresh new snow

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Another over hyped storm. "
    See BA's latest FB post. Models had a glitch this afternoon and evening. 00z and others back on track and he said no changes to his forecast from this am. I'm gonna buy some premium octane for the blower tomorrow and see if I can turn it into a cement thrower

Here's my Kirkwood report from last Friday...I had some fun.

http://snowbrains.com/noodling-the-n...rkwood-120415/

nothing like the original, but still nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nooks.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	659.5 KB 
ID:	173090  

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastPDR View Post
    See BA's latest FB post. Models had a glitch this afternoon and evening. 00z and others back on track and he said no changes to his forecast from this am. I'm gonna buy some premium octane for the blower tomorrow and see if I can turn it into a cement thrower
    unless NOAA says the same I'll believe them over some dude with a weather blog. And you're on powdork! $5 less than 8" by Friday noon (unless you're sandbagging me and live at 7k) I hope I lose.

According to google i'm at 6,350'

And he and noaa are using the same models. One of the main differences is that NOAA keeps to a specific posting schedule 3am and 3pm (and between 8 and 10pm during weather) whereas Bryan updates his site in the morning and Facebook whenever it needs to be updated. You 'll also note that on the 10:19 update from reno, NOAA is now calling for 3-6" at lake level with the initial wave thursday morning and early afternoon plus another 5-10" thursday night friday morning. It's kind of like they changed back to the original forecast without admitting they were wrong.
    Last edited by powdork; 12-09-2015 at 02:26 AM.

Maybe I'll just makes bets on the under for snow totals this season as a happiness hedge

Yeah the point forecasts don't have a good hold on it apparently. I put it right on the ridgeline at kirkwood and it listed maximum gust at 50 mph.
    Wind being dialed up and later but still has a sharp drop off in the morning. I was counting on just a few hours lower lifts in the afternoon but full day close is probably a good bet.

On Sugar Bowl (as a long time passholder):

I think the midweek closures is just an early season (I hope!) low snow thing. Used to be all the snowmaking was over on Judah (and Xmas Tree for the racers) and in low tide all that would be open was the groomer under the Jerome chair. Now they moved all that to Lincoln so they can get more terrain open. But that increases operating costs (2 chairs plus the gondola, more area to patrol, groom, etc.) for what are likely a handful of midweek passholders eating bag lunches and bringing their own booze. I'm sure they did the math and decided to save the limited snow for the weekends.

I've heard the idea that Crow's will run in storms but haven't actually seen it work that way. It can't run unless Disney is also running unless they're going to snow cat people over to the base. Usually when there's a storm it's low viz and I'm sure patrol doesn't want people in the woods - they usually close off South Dis (Nancy's, Sugar Bowl) as well. Then drop ropes and open Crow's (and under the chair on Lincoln) the next day when things clear up.

Long time CEO Rob Kautz just retired, they hired someone from Mammoth/June. Will be interesting to see if that changes anything.

Thanks TD. Derp moment for me re: Disney needing to run to get to CP Chair. Though, I've probably mentioned it before, two Marches ago we were skiing onto Lincoln, Disney and CP with no lines in a pretty sizable storm, while Squaw was closed and Alpine was mostly. Alpine opened Summit at 1pm that day, I think when the winds started to die. Seems like winds overall weren't that bad though, compared to what they could be? 10-12" of accumulation on the car while we were out for 5 or so hours. I distinctly recall Lincoln running (though I'm pretty sure under chair, The 58, etc. were closed), Disney running (SB and Nancy's closed), and CP Chair running. Closures coincided with the most serious slide terrain, which makes much sense. We skied CP area (e.g. Strawberry Fields, chair line), Disney Nose, and RP area from Lincoln.

I wonder if they'd let people hike over to CP Chair from Village Lodge when they do have to close Disney. It's not that much vertical to the base...

I'm also interested to see what happens with the new CEO/GM. I was reading up on him a few weeks back and it sounds like he was quite well-regarded at Mammoth. In discussions with meter-man, he noted how much he loves MMSA because they run everything possible in huge storms even when the top is closed. New guy at Sugar Bowl is the former VP of Operations at MMSA...
    Last edited by LightRanger; 12-09-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

i would wax and scrape with cold then rub on some warm
    Great idea. Cheers!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Anybody have a jig for rossignol fks 14s, that you would loan me for a few days. Trying to mount a fellow alpine employees skis before it snows. Will compensate with good beer.

I went up to Tahoe for LiketoRide's birthday. It was a reunion of the old crew

CellPhone Pics of the day -----------------------

It got a bit windy Saturday afternoon

The snow was surprisingly good

The BirthdayGirl- rippin

Tracks

Weather was pretty nice Sunday

It was a good weekend, kinda like winter

Re:sugarbowl. I've skied Disney chair under nuking conditions when the mountain was eventually shut down. It was shutdown though because it was too windy to operate the gondola and ops had to deal with getting their guests back to the vehicles parked at the lot on donner pass rd.

Is it still looking like a decent storm coming through the end of the weekend? Making for a good day on Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Here's my Kirkwood report from last Friday...I had some fun.

http://snowbrains.com/noodling-the-n...rkwood-120415/
    Nice work--I saw the tracks going into the fingers from chair 11 on saturday. I was wondering whose those were...

You were the only one to hit it I think

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    You were the only one to hit it I think
    Poach?

Quote Originally Posted by zpooch View Post
    Is it still looking like a decent storm coming through the end of the weekend? Making for a good day on Monday?
    Yes - Monday will probably be the best day of them all. But a lot depends on openings and all of that, so I'm skiing Sunday - Tuesday just to be safe. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Poach?
    More likely balls.

73 degrees in the East Bay. Very odd.

Nah...didn't hit Fingers but did hit lower Norms as they had a gate to enter above the closure. I'm a rule follower

(12 hour penalty) Up here at Mt. Rose we got 4 feet. brian setzer guitar lesson resumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Kirkwood was a bit bonier than expected this weekend. Started out with outer sentinel Saturday to find that down routes were still somewhat limited. New snow was surprisingly consolidated which should be good for base building and rock cover. We still need a solid 3 foot dump to really set us up. On piste was fun, bumps and dust on crust/ice. Also I got speed checked going 10 mph- not patrols fault, he was cool and doing his job, it's just the way it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Nah...didn't hit Fingers but did hit lower Norms as they had a gate to enter above the closure. I'm a rule follower
    somehow you made that reported dust on crust look fun.