Page 76 of 140 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 3488
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'd like to see a combination /integration of some sort between a couple of the smaller local areas, at least for pass purposes. Like a Rose - Homewood - Sugar Bowl combo.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Like the old SugarWood pass. I doubt you'd see Homewood on it though, with JMA being the minority owner of Alpine still (AFAIK).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Could be marketing BS:

Marketing director Mike Pierce said staff was told earlier this week Buser intended to officially put the property up for sale.

Mt. Rose includes about 1,200 "skiable acres," with a mix of private property and land leased from the U.S. Forest Service. Also, some of the private property along Highway 431 is zoned for commercial use which could make it more valuable on the market.

"There is ability to develop real estate on that side," Pierce said.
    If my memory serves correct somewhere around 2007 to 2009, during the last major overhaul of the Mt Rose Hwy, the owners of Mt Rose paid to extend a sewer line all the way to the resort with the hopes of one day building some condos on private land that Mt Rose owns by the new parking lots on the Rose side. This, along with Mt Rose already having approval to move forward with Atoma, may make Mt Rose appealing to someone with aspirations other than skiing.

An owner that has tens of thousands of pass-holders would diminish what make Mt Rose so unique, a locally owned mountain that makes money!! Atoma offers the potential for what Vali likes. I cringe at the thought of Vail and all those pass holders overtaking our little piece of heaven.

We need to go Co-Op a la Mad River Glen!!

Quote Originally Posted by gageyk View Post
    I cringe at the thought of Vail and all those pass holders overtaking our little piece of heaven.
    The number of of total skiers and riders globally is basically flat to declining. Like golf... If it is a zero sum game where would all those new visitors to Rose come from? Vail model is not to sell real estate to skiers, it is selling a vacation lifestyle to washed up old boomers.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Like the old SugarWood pass. I doubt you'd see Homewood on it though, with JMA being the minority owner of Alpine still (AFAIK).
    Homewood, Boreal, Diamond Peak, June Mountain, and some small resort in Montana currently have a deal where passholders get four free tickets to each of the other places. A Rose-Sugar Bowl pass would be sweet.

I could be wrong, but I don't see a lot of real estate opportunities around Rose.

Vail said a while back that they're trying to get away from the real estate focus. Might be BS, though.

Sugar Bowl + Homewood + Rose would make a lot of sense. Sure, JMA (homewood) still owns a big piece of Alpine but it's not like they're even doing any kind of crossover whatsoever the way Squawlpine and SB and Sierra have for the past 2 seasons. On the other hand, JMA is busy focusing on their big development... which IMO has almost no chance considering the lack of infrastructure along the west shore. Can you imagine that place being built along with the Squaw village? What a traffic nightmare for the entire north/west side of the lake.

Is Rose on private land like Squaw or would it be the rights to a lease from the USFS?

Also, I wasn't skiing KW that much pre-Vail, but it sure seems like not a lot has changed. Maybe vail can finally finish the lodge at TC after the previous owners demolished that nice rustic original lodge and replaced it with a tent city.

Speaking of the wood, Saturday was great fast fresh tracks that turned horribly, knee-twistingly sticky after it got just a little bit chopped. Fortunately the combination of skiers packing it down, windbuff coming over the cornice, and the clear cold overnight temps, the snow was fantastically fast and chalky and edgeable on Sunday.

Also did a few slackcountry laps up the red cliffs about dawn; there's a nice hoarfrost layer on the surface right now (at least W/NW aspects) so we need some wind and some wet snow to knock that soon-to-be persistent weak layer away.

And can't help myself but share a pic of the lady KB on the first spin of the T-saddle T-bar:

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Is Rose on private land like Squaw or would it be the rights to a lease from the USFS?
    Both. See: http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=39.32...z=14&b=t&a=sma

But no idea what the condo potential is on their private parcels. Sounds like some, but not a ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

In other news Tahoe is going off! 4 quality drops with powdork and Nacho today, back at the car the beer was pretty tasty!

Noice

U guys look into main hall?

We looked into the skiers left entrance, I like to see a little more snow in there, the snow was pretty wind effected also, but might have been been better down lower once you got into the main chute, snow was much better where we dropped, go get it and tell us about it

After braving Saturdays gale force winds at Rose and taking yesterday off to watch football, I was back out at Rose today. From Galena it appeared to be socked in, but a quick check of the web cams showed that most of the Mtn was above the fog. Gorgeous day with no crowds, winter snow, and first non windy day I've skied in over a week as Rose is one of the few Mtns that rivals Mammoth for wind.

Saddle Chute. All the chutes were skiing well with good winter snow on the shaded Northern exposures.

Did a bunch of laps just outside the area boundary in Manzanita Bowl/Hanks. Smooth, untracked snow with just a hint of corn starting.
    So tempting to just keep going as the bowl just stretches on for another 1000ft easy.

Heed the sign! Time to go left, as I wasn't prepared for the alternative. It would be easy to just get in the zone and keep going.

Never get tired of this view! My last run of the day routine. Slow down, check out the view, be grateful for another day of skiing. Sounds like sunny and warmer days till at least the weekend. Back out tomorrow for sure.

Kirkwood was skiing primo this weekend. Chair 4 is still hot. Great year 2016 is.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

yesterday was good from the first run to the last. started off the shoulder of becker

then moved up to the peak

tahoebc even brought his telemarktips steeze with him

then across the valley to echo peak and mini halls
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	becker-echo-053.jpg 
Views:	1440 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	175577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	becker-echo-065.jpg 
Views:	1431 
Size:	336.0 KB 
ID:	175578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	becker-echo-084.jpg 
Views:	1422 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	175579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	becker-echo-249.jpg 
Views:	1436 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	175580  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

∆∆∆ awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Hasn't their party line been all year "we can't bomb if it's dark" to explain late openings?
    Perhaps the booms in the dark at squaw produced by this

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines...ice=tablet&c=y

^^ Right, it could have been the gazex - didn't think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Yes there has been a big avy down to that area...
    I just don't ever remember being stuck in the breezeway and I've been there on some big days w lots of bombs. Just never had that experience in any recent times.
    I think that it might have been because the howitzer was being used. I can't remember the last time I saw that.
    not counting days 2016-17

I love the howitzer.

I really need to get to hall of the gods this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Me too. When are we going?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

squaw is back to former glory..

palisades are going off. I did Main chute and it was great, saw a lot of tracks down the chimney sweep, not sure if anyone braved the harder lines.

Looks like they finally got around to grooming cornice bowl and land bridge. now we have more options for hauling ass ong roomers than just red dog and siberia bowl

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post

It was a conga line up there all day today

ShakyKnees enjoying the 4 day old pow today

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    It was a conga line up there all day today
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I heard it'll be tracked out by EOD tomorrow!

Another great day exploring new (for me) terrain - Thanks Tahoe BC!