Page 91 of 140 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 3488
    Sounds like everything is moving, at least by Tahoe standards. Let's hope some stuff holds on. Obviously Sugar Bowl feels good about it.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

we got over 20" in 12 hrs. at 6200', with erratic high winds the whole time.
    high ridge top winds may reload all of todays paths. tomorrow looks iffy.
    sounds like both the Van Ettingers and the East Gully paths went out on the AM road
    basically everything above the Deer Park loop. doubt if anyone is in the parking lot
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Can anyone explain why every spot forecast on NOAA I click on for Monday shows the same temps at 9-10k feet as 6-7k feet (mid 50's)? This doesn't seem right.
    I think the spot forecast function on NWS forecasts (where you used to be able to click a specific point and get a point forecast) has not been working correctly since they moved to the new interface about a year ago. That's been my experience anyway. Post up if you figure out how to get to work!

Rose was pretty sweet this morning doing laps on zephyr; heavyish, especially on the open runs, but hey, untracked all over the place.

Now though, whole resort is on wind hold.

Also just heard Headwall at Squaw slid. Into lift shack.

So the plot thickens on where to go inbounds tomorrow. Lots of terrain will still be pristine, but looks like winds will still be an issue, both for new loading and wind holds with this southwest wind cranking again in the afternoon. Where is less likely to be fucked from the wind tomorrow

Winds has really picked up on Kingsbury. I was going to go tour but it is pretty horrible out. Snow is super heavy.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Also just heard Headwall at Squaw slid. Into lift shack.
    From my brother (Squaw employee):
    "Red Dog Face slid all the way to the base of Squaw Kids. Headwall to the bottom of Siberia, out into Mountain Run and hit the top of Squaw One. Not sure what the lift shack looks like."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    From my brother (Squaw employee):
    "Red Dog Face slid all the way to the base of Squaw Kids. Headwall to the bottom of Siberia, out into Mountain Run and hit the top of Squaw One. Not sure what the lift shack looks like."
    Didn't the Squaw One top lift shack get banged up by a slide a couple years ago?
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

Finally got red dog open at 1:30. Lower red dog slid from the junction of dog leg down to the magic carpet this morning. All the little steep pockets in the gully slid as well.

The snow is a thick layer of heavy wind buff, on top of a layer of less dense snow that was protected from the wind, on top of a solid rain-soaked melt/freeze crust.

Ski patrol was posted at the top of red dog telling everyone offloading to wear a beacon and ski with a buddy. It was a nice touch of added drama.

Mt. Rose was awesome this morning. Empty, windy = refills every run.

Thinking about Squaw or Alpine tomorrow...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Famous last words. Lotsa dead experts out there. be humble, not cocky.
    no i just don't like the alarmism. yeah it's dangerous out there if you're going into the alpine, or into any avalanche terrain really. but to try to scare everyone into staying at home by saying the danger is extreme (when there already is a danger rating labeled extreme and we weren't there) is alarmist and unnecessary. there was still plenty to ski without ever waiting in a line or being in danger.

and what good does it do telling everyone at the top of a lift to wear a beacon. at that point you either have one or you don't.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Thinking Squawlpine too tomorrow. Looks like chair 6 and 10 went at Kwood today. Curious to hear from somebody here how it was

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Didn't the Squaw One top lift shack get banged up by a slide a couple years ago?
    Sounds familiar. Can't remember though.

Quote Originally Posted by stanmarsh View Post
    Ski patrol was posted at the top of red dog telling everyone offloading to wear a beacon and ski with a buddy. It was a nice touch of added drama.
    Interesting. Haven't heard that one before. Did they check with Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows Marketing Department beforehand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    no i just don't like the alarmism. yeah it's dangerous out there if you're going into the alpine, or into any avalanche terrain really. but to try to scare everyone into staying at home by saying the danger is extreme (when there already is a danger rating labeled extreme and we weren't there) is alarmist and unnecessary. there was still plenty to ski without ever waiting in a line or being in danger..
    You must like reading Schralph's posts then, like me.

and what good does it do telling everyone at the top of a lift to wear a beacon. at that point you either have one or you don't.
    At that point, they might choose a safer route down, like the groomer track.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Yeah, it made no sense. It's also a lot easier to buddy up at the bottom of a 3 person chairlift...

no i just don't like the alarmism. yeah it's dangerous out there if you're going into the alpine, or into any avalanche terrain really. but to try to scare everyone into staying at home by saying the danger is extreme (when there already is a danger rating labeled extreme and we weren't there) is alarmist and unnecessary. there was still plenty to ski without ever waiting in a line or being in danger.

The patroller was clearly talking about BC riders, now you are talking about lines inbound?

No I'm talking bc. Did powderhouse today and lived. Maybe I was just lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Thinking Squawlpine too tomorrow...
    Yeah, the Ski-Bus I am on is scheduled to be at Squaw tomorow.
    I wonder if they'll divert to No(slides)Star?

A shame to hear about Red Dog Face sliding.
    I love me some Red Dog tree's on a powder day (although, for me, it's been a while)

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

"Ski patrol was posted at the top of red dog telling everyone offloading to wear a beacon and ski with a buddy. It was a nice touch of added drama."

I've seen them do this a few times over the years. I'm always like "uh huh, ok dude", as I ride off solo with reckless abandon.
    IT'S NEVER SNOWED 2 FEET OVERNIGHT AND BEEN WINDY IN THE HISTORY OF LAKE TAHOE. UR ALL GONNA DIEEEEEEE!!!!

Heavenly went off today, couple lift served skins but faceshots from the time they opened at 9:30 till I threw in the towel at 4:15, so fucking good today, actually got better the whole day as it consolidated some, 2:00 was the best untracked run of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Thinking Squawlpine too tomorrow. Looks like chair 6 and 10 went at Kwood today. Curious to hear from somebody here how it was
    Six opened around 10:30 and then closed due to wind. It re-opened shortly thereafter. Sentinel was closed most of the day but did open for a while. 10 opened at 2pm to a small crowd and was worth the wait. It was almost fully blown in at closing time. Eagle and Sunrise did not open. Hopefully the wind dies enough to get Sunrise open tomorrow. Heav looked like the call for today as TBC said.

Jeez, tomorrow's not looking much if any better than today, wind-wise. NWS for Slide Mtn. Is talking about 50mph winds, gusts to 75.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    That would be the slide that killed patroller Andrew Entin

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    The patroller was clearly talking about BC riders, now you are talking about lines inbound?
    Since when does Squaw have an open boundary or BC access off of Red Dog?