Page 55 of 140 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3488
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    While I agree with much of what you said, the above is ludicrous. Whether you're talking Canadian (D2) or American (R2), both happen frequently.
    R3 - Medium relative to path (this should be a no brainer)
    D3 - Could bury and destroy a car, damage a truck, destroy a small building or break a few trees.

Here's one on Red Lake Peak that regularly goes D3 and bigger

The view from Google earth. Note the lack of trees in the path as well as the adjacent paths
    Ok I took it too far; D3 possible and a larger more serious scenario might happen every 40 years or longer? My point was more so that I find it strange that I hear lots more stability chatter here in a relatively stable region than I am used to hearing in my other winter home base where stability is much more marginal and terrain is a serious issue. I think allot of that is due to the relatively high number of inexperienced backcountry users in the region. On one hand it seems like it's a good idea to spread awareness and discuss the potential problems within the snowpack, on the other it almost seems like fear mo geeing to keep people away from the backcountry by making comments about waiting to see the incident reports after the holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Ok I took it too far; D3 possible and a larger more serious scenario might happen every 40 years or longer? My point was more so that I find it strange that I hear lots more stability chatter here in a relatively stable region than I am used to hearing in my other winter home base where stability is much more marginal and terrain is a serious issue. I think allot of that is due to the relatively high number of inexperienced backcountry users in the region. On one hand it seems like it's a good idea to spread awareness and discuss the potential problems within the snowpack, on the other it almost seems like fear mo geeing to keep people away from the backcountry by making comments about waiting to see the incident reports after the holiday weekend.
    Do I detect the unmistakable aroma of Jackson??

Just kidding: I mostly agree with you. The terrain in Tahoe generally does not present the same issues present in big mountain terrain - by that I mean 2000+ ft faces, complex terrain features, etc. And our snowpack is generally far more compliant than intermountain and continental snowpacks. But the flip side of it that you may not have in your other range is that folks here are used to a lower risk snowpack and, as a result, have been lulled into complacency. While some of the chatter may be over the top, the amount of BC users, the casual mindset displayed by so many here, and the pent-up powder demand (from 4 years of blergh) suggest some extra awareness is useful.

Yeah that's the part i agree with.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I did not get much higher than 7500 feet today, but there was about 2 centimeters of dry snow on a supportable rain crust, with super saturated snow below it. The snow was not bonding at all to the crust layer which made travel without ski crampons very challenging. Could be problematic with new snow on top of it in open areas after the next storm depending how it comes in. Looking up high today on open slopes run runnels were visible most of the way up. Did not see crowns on the peaks I looked at, things seem to be locking up pretty well.

Crust layer

Anyone get out in Rose wilderness today?

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Hey Reno Folk,

Did you feel that quake overnight?
    Felt a single jolt in Truckee.

on the other it almost seems like fear mongering to keep people away from the backcountry by making comments about waiting to see the incident reports after the holiday weekend.
    It's simply a matter of the current number of new, inexperienced backcountry users in CA combined with our last few crappy years that make it a very likely mathematical probability. I'm a professional gambler, so I like making guesses on things. I also guessed (and was right), as a former wildland firefighter, that there would be a lot more firefighter deaths since I quit in 2005 due to the hotshot certifications of much less experienced crews.

Felt a few of them, I live off keystone by the uni.
    the "big" one had me get my emergency kit ready to get the hell out of dodge. The 3.4 on the screen shot was upgraded to 4.4 by the time I fell asleep last night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1450924357.756601.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	294.7 KB 
ID:	173828

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Hey Reno Folk,

Did you feel that quake overnight?

Magnitude 4.4
    Date-Time

23 Dec 2015 06:46:07 UTC
    22 Dec 2015 22:46:07 near epicenter
    22 Dec 2015 22:46:07 standard time in your timezone

Location 39.431N 119.789W
    Depth 8 km
    Distances

11 km (6 mi) S of Reno, Nevada
    11 km (6 mi) SSW of Sparks, Nevada
    18 km (11 mi) S of Sun Valley, Nevada
    25 km (15 mi) SSW of Spanish Springs, Nevada
    29 km (17 mi) N of Carson City, Nevada
    I was on the 6th floor of a tall concrete apartment building (I think 18+stories) and it definitely got a good wobble going

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I did not get much higher than 7500 feet today, but there was about 2 centimeters of dry snow on a supportable rain crust, with super saturated snow below it. The snow was not bonding at all to the crust layer which made travel without ski crampons very challenging. Could be problematic with new snow on top of it in open areas after the next storm depending how it comes in. Looking up high today on open slopes run runnels were visible most of the way up. Did not see crowns on the peaks I looked at, things seem to be locking up pretty well.
    Yup. Today at S@T we ventured off the piste some, and it was dust-on-slick above 7500'; just slick below that some, and deep chunky-monkey if you get into some sun-exposed below 7000'. The crust above 7500' was only breaking when one's ass fell on it. Anywhere that gets much more than a foot of fresh powder on it tomorrow is going to be unstable.

Fun day today though; glad I had sharp edges. Groomers were all hardpack getting vaguely icy in a lot of places.

Was this a mag out there?

https://www.reddit.com/r/skiing/comm...n_at_kirkwood/

To the Good Samaritan at Kirkwood:

I'm not sure if you frequent reddit, but on the off chance that you do I'd like to thank you. We, like everyone else who was at Kirkwood on Monday, were completely snowed in and were ready to spend the night sleeping on the floor of the lodge with everyone else. You noticed that you had a sleeping bag and we didn't, and offered me, my friend's family, and my friend's girlfriend's family the lodge/hotel room that you had previously booked. And let me tell you, that place was nice.

Monday was full of good surprises that bolstered my hope in humanity, but yours took the cake. I wish I had a chance to take your contact info to thank you afterwards, but unfortunately this is the best I can do. So, on behalf of myself and everyone who was with me that day, thank you so much, and I hope that you enjoyed the (2-3ft of) snow as much as we did that day (:

While it will be somewhat unstable the surface crust has a rough velcro quality to it unlike a complete rain/hard freeze crust that we sometimes experience. So in that respect it could be worse. It certainly does not appear tomorrow's storm will come in warm or wet enough to add any kind of adhesion to the layer below. The good news is the very stout crust should keep most slides from stepping down, and sheltered areas shouldn't develop too much in the way of soft slabs. It's also way more predictable than PWL's from buried hoar. It doesn't typically trigger remotely from low angle slopes below.
    This is a more typical avalanche problem that plagues Tahoe and when the passes are blacked out BC use will skyrocket. If I was a betting man.....
    Please don't go. And stay off my lawn while you're at it!
    Last edited by powdork; 12-24-2015 at 03:34 AM.

Skied Rose Thursday and Friday. On Thursday morning the web site was reporting 22" of new snow. Zephyr ran most of the day. The snow must have had some "liquid compaction" as it was nowhere near that deep. More like 3-5 inches of wet, spongy pow. Didn't know what to expect today, but colder temps and wind dried out the snow. Glad I waited as they bombed/blasted the shit out of the chutes. Riding up Northwest a large fracture line at the top of El Cap was clearly visible. Pretty much went down to the dirt. Hung out at the "Nightmare" gate and at 1:45 p.m. patroll opened it. Nightmare chute, Miller Time and Chaos all skied well. Definite rain layer as you got down by the lift. Five runs later I was beat and it got cold by 3:00 pm. Good day overall.

In case no one noticed its nuking out

Word. Chain control on 80 in Colfax at the moment. Should make for a sporting day driving home for Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Snowing quite hard in christmas valley. Anyone getting out this morning? Thinking maybe let it snow just a bit more and head to Powderhouse? I know its late notice but given the circumstance a partner(s) would be preferable. Shoot me a PM if you are interested or if one of you guys are already getting out I'd love to jump on board? Merry Christmas everyone.
    Last edited by somethingclever...; 12-24-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Should make for a sporting day driving
    Indeed, seems like a day to avoid the roads as much as possible. Got out early in a sheltered wooded area. New snow is nice and fluffy but not bonding very well to the old stuff. Slough city.

Reports from p-house indicate good skiing. Reports from Carson pass not so much. Seems it rained higher there with widespread ice crust. Skiing at heavenry has been great above 8,250' with a rain crust below that. Perfect snow for young kids to shralp the trees. Storm came in with no wind at 7,700' and dropped a couple inches before the wind picked up and blew it elsewhere making it hard to gauge how much is accumulating up here today.

If the weather breaks tomoro night with some viz, we will have a rare Xmas day full moon powder night.

I also heard good things about P-house this morning from a friend. Safety aside, the lower angle terrain (sub 30) is skiing better right now anyway. Which makes sense with that crusty layer beneath the new snow.

powderhouse was unfreakinreal. Lower third we were still skiing on the rain crust even with 18" new. Top third there was no crust. The storm didn't even start til about 6:30 so I'm guessing everywhere is awesome now
    screenshot from hutchski's phone

hutchski and stoke

pirrows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4312.jpg 
Views:	1238 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	173875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powderhouse-011.jpg 
Views:	1244 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	173876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4309.jpg 
Views:	1219 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	173877  

Damn that looks legit ^^^. This heavy stuff looks like it was perfect boulder gap filler for over there.

Mt Rose was excellent today, hardly anyone there, light blower refilling all day. Going back tomorrow for more, UT bringing much bigger skis!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

West Shore report:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451008457.095444.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	173885

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451008469.491138.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	173886

Crust was wet this morning and bulletproof by afternoon. Cold winds were nuking pretty good - 25 mph sustained SW and W winds at 8k with gusts to 45. Winds slowed down by 3 PM. Oddly enough due to our aspect there was more wind and wind affected snow down low than up high, at least to 8800' where tree density and wind exposure changes. By mid-day about 18" on north facing north facing at 8500'. About 12" at 7000' and definitely riding on crust. In protected areas the upper 6" of the storm slab was sensitive but propagation potential wasn't really there yet. Didn't venture above 8800' as density of the upper slab was increasing and cracks were appearing. Mellow day at 20-25 degree turns but it was legitimately deep.

For shits and giggles dug a 1.7m deep profile (have a friend here from out of town) and it was basically consolidated rounds below the 12/23 rain crust with no sign of SH. Didn't dig in multiple spots. Snowpack is now 2m deep at 8500', well probably deeper since we left this afternoon.

Now let's see what the NW winds do the next few days.

Who's at Alpine Ghettos tomorrow? I think I'll be putzing around on one plank ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Holy shit. Deep pow from 8:30 to 4 on NV side of heave today. 2 dozen skiers up there until 10 am.

Good shit:
    The Big Carpet at Alpine is now closed for the day due to heavy snow loading. #alpinelifts
    https://twitter.com/squawalpineops/s...25831440564224