Page 69 of 140 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 3488
    Just saw that slide footage on Snowbrains. Wow. That's crazy... lucky dude. Glad he's OK. We were there that day... I think we skied right through his avy debris...

Anyway, that was an awesome day...

Could only pull off a 1 day trip... how's the conditions up there? Wet?
    Last edited by telek; 01-21-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by telek View Post
    Skip to 5:14 in this vid...

Don't skip to 5:14, the whole video was pretty awesome.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Wow, what a cougar day at the heave.

nice!

today was a pleasant surprise. more fresh snow than expected. looks like it snowed down to at least 5k ft at some point late in the storm (at least on the western slope).

The helicopter's presence in searching for the kid was very eye opening because it was very noticeable. heartbreaking. i hope he is found soon.

Ripping the Bowl apart
    So Precos and the Pailades where open Friday?

Just saw that slide footage on Snowbrains. Wow. That's crazy... lucky dude. Glad he's OK. We were there that day... I think we skied right through his avy debris... and almost got swept down myself through the same area... I think we went down one gully (skier's) left of the slide? Skip to 5:14 in this vid...

You guys are so much better than me.

Hold on to your asses:

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Looking for a touring partner for Wednesday if anyone's interested? Looks like it should be a nice weather day. Obviously caution and a conservative approach with the current setup. I'm open to skiing anything that makes sense and is safe. Shoot me a PM if interested.

KW delivered today. Had 4 runs off the top with my 10yr old nephew. He wanted to start with Cham, so it was not a bad beginning. Then I had four off 5 with my 7yr old nephew and my son. So much fun watching them in the powder. Got a good work out picking up my son. Gotta love the harness.

Pali and backside were still closed when I left around noon. Did they eventually open?

Pali was closed all weekend. Figured it was due to the rain on Saturday and fear of wet slides. Today it seemed weird that they went to work on the backside and did not yet have Pali open.

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

Pali was utter windstripped, refrozen garbage last weekend, the worst conditions I found anywhere at KW. I imagine it's very slide-prone right now.

Bunches of fun at Vailwood the last few days. Oodles even.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Hold on to your asses:

Do you think Squaw will close the upper mountain? Another money hold!!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    A lot of people have said that zone was closed that day but hasn't been confirmed. Does anyone actually know?
    Patroller told me it was closed (and that the poaching might affect the possibility of Palisades opening in the future). FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    That right there is why I work and ski at a shitty little ski area in the central Sierra. No lift lines. Evar.
    No shit. Skied untracked until 4 yesterday. Was literally the only one back in the trees by Doubleshot/Skyline after you guys reopened 8. Then skied right to my truck. Tahoe is awesome, but I love our shitty little ski hill!

Lots of small slough slides out of Gate 2 at Sierra. Anything over 35 deg slid and propagated throughout the immediate area. Breaking 6-10" deep 10-30' across.
    Snow Flake Killer

Isn't that the mystery chute from a post a couple months back that no one could identify? What /where is it?[/QUOTE]

Ya its terminal cancer. Line is aesthetic, skiing is...meh

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Patroller told me it was closed (and that the poaching might affect the possibility of Palisades opening in the future). FWIW.
    that makes a lot of sense. someone poached it when it was closed, so if we permanently close it no one will poach it. On the contrary--it will just be more poachable.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I think he launched the rock in the far upper left corner of the photo below, and then got flushed in the gully that drains just above and to the right of the stand of trees above Hidden Gully. Through the little slot between the trees and that lone tree.
    You thinking something like this? Pretty crazy ride to walk away from unscathed.

^^ Nice Drawing I bet that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Permanently closed FOREVER?

Quote Originally Posted by stanmarsh View Post
    You thinking something like this? Pretty crazy ride to walk away from unscathed.

I skied a few laps of some soft served ice cream during the snain storm Saturday afternoon and skied over some avalanche debris beneath the chute as drawn. The closed signs were in place on Saturday, but I have no idea if they were closed on Friday. The snow pack has filled in significantly to a mid-season feel, and separate from avalanche hazards, there's enough snowpack to open the Palisades now.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    that makes a lot of sense. someone poached it when it was closed, so if we permanently close it no one will poach it. On the contrary--it will just be more poachable.
    Maybe just part of the zone was closed and part was open? And the idea being that if people aren't going to respect the closure then fuck it we'll close the whole zone? I'm completely guessing of course as I am not familiar with the intricacies of SB at all.

In a similar vein, think about the Palisades at Squaw and when they choose to open them. Do they ever open on weekends anymore regardless of conditions? Too many from the B&T crowd making their jobs harder. I'm not even sure but is that no weekends deal actually official policy now?
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 01-19-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rads63 View Post
    Permanently closed FOREVER?
    Don't know (hope not, it's finally coming back into shape). Patroller just said that it was a touchy issue now given the slide.
    Last edited by teledad; 01-19-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

In a similar vein, think about the Palisades at Squaw and when they choose to open them. Do they ever open on weekends anymore regardless of conditions? Too many from the B&T crowd making their jobs harder. I'm not even sure but is that no weekends deal actually official policy now?
    It's getting very rare, but they do occasionally open it up on the weekend. Seems like a lot of concern is around keeping tourons on the traverse from getting straight lined in their poopenhausen. Other than spring, it seems to be limited to short sessions when the snow happens to be good on sat or sun.

I hope they don't close sb palisades permanently this season. It's looking very good to go at the moment. Better than other years than when its already open.

It's surprising that homeboys shared a video of them poaching. Didn't a mag on this site get some super bad shit from kirkwood for doing less.

Placer county sar called off their search for the missing kid

Anyone make it upto rose today? Way to wet and heavy on the summit. Hoping that relay might be high enough for some decent turns