Page 63 of 140 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 3488
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Shitty visibility at Alpine this morning and they finally closed Summit around 11 in a complete whiteout. Scott and Lakeview have been good though and you can actually see. Heavy snow but still fun.

The top 6 inches or so is not bonding well at all, go over anything steepish or rollovers and it just cuts loose in mini slab pieces. In other words, don't expect much to open at Squaw up top today (duh).
    Patrol friend of my son told him Squaw was holding off on shooting some stuff to give the fresh a chance to bond to the rain layer.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Patrol friend of my son told him Squaw was holding off on shooting some stuff to give the fresh a chance to bond to the rain layer.
    That's a good call for sure. I know everyone always wants everything to open ASAP but it's early January and I'd rather get some more coverage. Maybe Friday will be the day instead of tomorrow.

Got stuck leaving Alpine Meadows while they did control work above the road. It's been a while since that happened. It was nuking after 1pm or so, so tomorrow should be good too. Took a late blind lap off Summit and it would have been great if I could have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jed peters View Post
    TahoeBC--nothing wrong with doin' the whole Boulder-Stagecoach shuttle! If you can time the bus right, you can literally ski right up to the bus as it's opening the doors....Done that many a storm day.
    Another option is to catch the lift at the mid-way station. Still, it can be a pain.

Thought I heard HV got turned down for a new lift proposal because it would require a few trees to be cut down?

midway station?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I think some of u missed his point. That lift puts way more pressure on great terrain that doesn't really need that lift. It's my resort home run as I live right near there so I too would be just fine if that lift doesn't spin. Yes they were going to put in a new lift but got shut down due to potential old growth loss.

We didn't get shit up here out of these systems but Luther skied well the last couple days with about 8-10".

The North Bowl chair breaking and creating safety hazard will sway the decision makers. Maybe just a new fixed grip lift?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    midway station?
    Yeah, my bad, my mid-way is to take North Bowl rather than ski down to Boulder and take the lift or shuttle to Stagecoach. Personally, I rather ski down to Vista or Easy St. and take a cab...

If I remember right that new lift was gonna not only replace Northbowl but Olympic also, which would have taken out some old growth trees. In the end they just replaced Olympic with a high speed lift. They could replace North bowl in it's current location I believe, but it would be a shame cause that terrain would get skied out super fast. I expect it will happen at some point.

Edit: here was the old plan that got shot down because of the tree removal

Last edited by TahoeBC; 01-06-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Sugar Bowl was better yesterday....at least for the 195 kuros. Everything was smooth and untracked and no people and pure awesomeness yesterday. However, they didn't get too much new snow over night and it was super fluffy, so it got tracked fast and those shovels just caught on everything. That being said, I have a new knee, so that could be part of my pussification. Still a rad day, just realized I like a smaller ski for cut up shit......which I impulsively bought at 4 am yesterday... a volkl one 186. Should fit the bill between untouched days and cut up days. Have fun this week. I had to clean the fridge and the house just to get out the past 2 days. Got a 3 week old....love that the wife still lets me ski

Her name is Hayden Ray Connolly, 9lb 14 oz, born dec 16 and is going to be a ripping skier.... like her dad

that arm though

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Sugar Bowl was better yesterday....at least for the 195 kuros. Everything was smooth and untracked and no people and pure awesomeness yesterday. However, they didn't get too much new snow over night and it was super fluffy, so it got tracked fast and those shovels just caught on everything. That being said, I have a new knee, so that could be part of my pussification. Still a rad day, just realized I like a smaller ski for cut up shit......which I impulsively bought at 4 am yesterday... a volkl one 186. Should fit the bill between untouched days and cut up days. Have fun this week. I had to clean the fridge and the house just to get out the past 2 days. Got a 3 week old....love that the wife still lets me ski

Her name is Hayden Ray Connolly, 9lb 14 oz, born dec 16 and is going to be a ripping skier.... like her dad
    Mazeltov!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Congrats Mark.

9 lbs 14 oz... +++ vibes to the wife.

Congrats on the baby. That's rad.

Regarding north bowl--I'm totally okay with it being closed. Personally I like it being closed and doing the whole shuttle thing...cuts down on the skier traffic.

Reset button pressed at Alpine this morning. Great conditions all over.

“I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Full reset at Squaw as well. KT was ridiculously good considering it was open yesterday (did it shut down early?). Seems like people are finally satiated after a good start to the season so it isn't getting tracked out nearly as fast as in recent years. Those new glades around Heidi's they cleared out off Red Dog ridge were a nice addition. Wind exposed areas around Headwall and Sibo were hit and miss but overall it was very soft out.

Last edited by TahoeJ; 01-07-2016 at 06:37 PM.

Looks sick. #calculatorsnow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

^^ Haha, it took me a second to get that. Damn screen shot function.

Powder, the corner-stone of any nutritious breakfast!

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Thanks for the photo whatsupdoc
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1452223998.080278.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	174629

Dumb??
    Last edited by Bosco; 01-07-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Dumb??

^That's awesome!
    We had a nice run from the top of mountain

mountain was good from the top

most every turn on mountain was good

except the one after this

woah, another good one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-029.jpg 
Views:	1358 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	174640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-043.jpg 
Views:	1360 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	174641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-jeff-1a.jpg 
Views:	1330 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	174643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-062.jpg 
Views:	1335 
Size:	289.9 KB 
ID:	174644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-076.jpg 
Views:	1337 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	174645  

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Silverado was going OFF today! they managed to open it around 1:15-1:30?

I got in Gate #2 about 10 back and it was niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. sketchy slidey snow though. They bombed it and it slid literally 15-20 minutes before we went in. also saw a skier trigger a small slide as I was riding up the chair after my first run. apparently a few people got tangled up in a good sized slough right before that, too. stay safe out there

^^ There was a lot of sloughing and mini slides today all over the place. I gave up on Silvy around 1 so I guess I just missed it (my legs were dead by then anyway) - I'm surprised they opened it to be honest.

For example: https://www.instagram.com/p/BAP2Uh_Ev44/

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastPDR View Post
    Thanks for the photo whatsupdoc
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1452223998.080278.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	174629
    Nice. That's print-worthy for sure.

Skied Rose the last three days, with Tuesday's storm riding being the best so far. The stoke my 11 year old has for skiing is awesome.
    Makes me feel I've done at least one thing right as a parent.

Chasing him through the trees off of Bruce's during Tuesday's storm.

Race to make last chair. We made it at 3:57 p.m. Not sure how much longer until he's better than I am.

We got back out early on Wednesday (4th) chair to discover that the slide side got hit by some heavy winds i.e. slab city. Skied the trees on the Rose side until the chutes opened. Miller Time was the run of the day with deep untracked pow that was way less wind affected.

With the boy back at home, and me with tired legs I slept in and did the afternoon session today. Light was changing throughout the afternoon from sunny to fog/flat and everything in between. Still found some fun untracked in the trees, and busted out a quick 10 runs in 2.5 hours.

Shot from the top of Bruce's looking down on the bottom of the Zephyr with Reno under the clouds.

Last run of the day looking West towards the summit of MTR HWY and the lake hidden by clouds. All said, the combination of snow, storm riding with the boy all day made this a great week. We'll be back out tomorrow.