Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Nice to have the 15-16 thread up. Beverages by that top right sponsor at the conclusion of the workshop presentations. You can get tickets at: www.ltccconnect.com
    Click on the A-Z index and scroll down.

STOKED!

1. I humbly request we change the name of the thread or do I gotta see GODZILLA BABY JESUS concerned it will get old esp of we have a shit year
    2. ONG that bear
    3. We have a couple spots for a ski house in alpine meadows, families w kids in either 2nd grade-ish or early teen-ish would be the best fit. Just off the main road in that development w two entrances (elk canyon? Can't remember name).

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Shall we start a pool for guessing the date of the first 12"+ deposit, to be measured at Donner Summit Snow Lab?
    I dunno -- when's your mom/wife/gf planning to be there?

(Someone had to do it.)

Quote Originally Posted by JAREDS View Post
    3. We have a couple spots for a ski house in alpine meadows, families w kids in either 2nd grade-ish or early teen-ish would be the best fit. Just off the main road in that development w two entrances (elk canyon? Can't remember name).
    You're presumably talking about Bear Creek. But there are three entrances. (Pro tip: The number of reflectors on the sign posts will help you find the one you're looking for when driving in the dark.)

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Welcome... Again!
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I know I'm not the only one hoping for more pow and less dork this year.
    not counting days 2016-17

I wanted a Sugarwood pass this year but they said its no longer available. I bought full price passes to both mountains, so f- you corporate America, you cant stop me. ha ha

I think the Sugarwood pass has been gone for something like 10 years ... unless you mean the new SB/Woodward combo (guessing not from "both mountains").

Legs of Steel present PASSENGER

screening Thurs. Oct. 8th @ Homewood

tix: http://skihomewood.com/lake-tahoe-ev...iere-passenger

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

We Are Blank presents BLANK. THE MOVIE

screening Saturday, Sept.26th @ 9pm @ Moment factory in Sparks, NV

more info:

http://www.momentskis.com/blogs/news...-premiere-9-26

Whats the deal on buying passes around here? Spent 6 years riding in Colorado and now I'm in the bay area for the winter. I know I can be EPIC! with vail again, but not sure I want to ski N* or Heavenly, but Kirkwood might be fun. Or should I just stick with the split board and bet that I won't want to ride lifts?

Ever heard of Squaw? Alpine Meadows? Gold Tahoe Super Pass gets you 4 days at Sugar Bowl and Sierra too - or you can just get a pass at SB and get some days at Squawlpine. But yeah, I don't think anyone in this thread is going to tell you Kirkwood sucks. Actually, they might.

Can't go wrong - any of those options is better than most of Colorado (talking I-70, not CB or Telluride... or I guess Aspen).
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 09-23-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Sexy thread title
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

If KW was still independent and the SugarWood pass was still around they would sell a fuckload of them, including to me.

Edgnar, for BA skiers it's generally Epic Pass, Squalpine pass (with SB and Sierra days), SB (with Squalpine days), or perhaps Kirkwood only unrestricted (assuming they haven't gotten rid of it). Or Mountain Collective (paid for between the days at Squalpine and Mammoth alone, plus Taos because... The Nino) and skins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Whats the deal on buying passes around here? Spent 6 years riding in Colorado and now I'm in the bay area for the winter. I know I can be EPIC! with vail again, but not sure I want to ski N* or Heavenly, but Kirkwood might be fun. Or should I just stick with the split board and bet that I won't want to ride lifts?
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    If KW was still independent and the SugarWood pass was still around they would sell a fuckload of them, including to me.

Edgnar, for BA skiers it's generally Epic Pass, Squalpine pass (with SB and Sierra days), SB (with Squalpine days), or perhaps Kirkwood only unrestricted (assuming they haven't gotten rid of it). Or Mountain Collective (paid for between the days at Squalpine and Mammoth alone, plus Taos because... The Nino) and skins.
    I've got KW only, but mostly because I have a 4 yr old, a sometimes a place to stay in the valley and a school teacher wife who wants to ski on holidays. I would not discount the Heave, especially in a good year with low snow levels. But if you have never been there or N*, they both have their purpose. For instance, in a storm, KW could be completely shut down due to wind/snow/lifts/power/management issues and N* will be open to the top. Just hope the pow is not too deep, cause the star is not too steep. It is also nice early season to stretch the legs on long manmade groomers. At least that has been the case the last several years until it snowed finally in February or something.

^^ This is a good point. I primarily ski at Squawlpine but get an Epic pass too for windy days when the upper mountain is closed - and the tree skiing at N* on storm days is actually pretty fantastic (especially since most of the clientele there is soft and they're all in the lodge while you ski fresh tracks all day). Plus being able to go over to Kirkwood makes having both passes a no-brainer if you can afford it (you can save a lot more money not buying $15 burgers and $9 beers). A few years ago when I didn't get both I regretted it.

If you lean more towards the backcountry there is good BC access out of both Heavenly and Kirkwood, add a 25$ snow park pass for hitting up Carson pass and your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    If you lean more towards the backcountry there is good BC access out of both Heavenly and Kirkwood, add a 25$ snow park pass for hitting up Carson pass and your good to go.
    i'mma JONG out for a millisecond here, but when you purchase a Snow Park pass, is it only good for a specific area? i.e. would I need to buy one for Carson Pass, one for the West Shore (Blackwood), one for North Shore (Castle Peak), and one for East Shore (Rose area)?

Sweetgrass Productions presents JUMBO WILD
    Thurs., Oct. 20 @ Art Haus Cinema, Tahoe City

tix: http://tahoearthauscinema.com/shows/jumbo-wild/

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    i'mma JONG out for a millisecond here, but when you purchase a Snow Park pass, is it only good for a specific area? i.e. would I need to buy one for Carson Pass, one for the West Shore (Blackwood), one for North Shore (Castle Peak), and one for East Shore (Rose area)?
    Snow Park passes are not location specific. The pass is good for the season and allows parking at any California snow Park. Nevada doesn't have the same program (no parking permit needed know the rose area) .

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    No good for all of California I believe, I was just zeroing in on the south side of the lake and being better for BC access IMHO. On the South side I utilize the Echo Lake snowpark area a lot also.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1233

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    No good for all of California I believe, I was just zeroing in on the south side of the lake and being better for BC access IMHO. On the South side I utilize the Echo Lake snowpark area a lot also.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1233
    unless my speed-reading skills suck incredibly, it looks like the pass is good for all the locations they list on the right-hand margin in that link you posted. The list looks to cover North, West, South, and East shores pretty extensively:

Balsam Meadows
    Blackwood Canyon
    Carson Pass
    Coyote
    Donner Summit
    Eastwood
    Echo Lake
    Highway 108
    Hope Valley
    Huntington Lake
    Iron Mountain
    Lake Alpine
    Meiss Meadow
    Rock Creek
    Spicer
    Tamarack
    Taylor Creek
    Yuba Pass

PS:
    you can purchase 'em live and direct at Alpenglow in TC, Dave's in TC, and Dave's in KB.

I'm in Truckee / Tahoe City tomorrow trying to find a house my wife will agree to move into. Anyone up for a MTB ride in the afternoon around there? Starting in TC around 1 or so and will probably end up doing a Watson loop and ODB / Deer Creek or maybe Painted Rock / Missing Link but I'm flexible. PM me. Planning to check out Paradise Waits at Squaw later that evening as well.

Sno Park passes are also good in Oregon and Idaho. You have to know it though because I did get a ticket at an Oregon Sno Park near Mount Thielsen despite the pass visibly displayed. http://www.powdork.com/2013/three-vo...in-three-days/
    when i got to the car the ticket was under the wiper basically covering the sno park permit

I love the legs of steel movies, but that was one of the weakest trailers i've seen. we are blank on the other hand looks fknawesome

i still have a lot of editing to do on the front page.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    we are blank on the other hand looks fknawesome
    Josh D won rookie of the year at the premier last night @ the IF3 film festival
    Snow Flake Killer

Tomorrow Night in TC

Conquering the Useless
    tix: http://tahoearthauscinema.com/shows/...g-the-useless/

How about some NZ stoke from a month ago...

Remarkables...tasty it was!

Cardona...laps with my son made the trip!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    How about some NZ stoke from a month ago...

Remarkables...tasty it was!

Cardona...laps with my son made the trip!
    September 25th, and the Godzilla Baby Jesus thread already has video of some great powder skiing.