Page 71 of 140 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3488
    Being charged a felony for skiing a closure is fucking retarded and exactly what I hate about skiing in America. Let people take responsibility for their own actions. I rode this same zone on Monday and there was hardly any debris visible in the apron. Doubtful that burial was even a possibility in this instance. everyone needs to calm the fuck down people go for rides all the time

But everyone is an expert on the internet! Sugar Bowl slide is old news. I'm curious about the slide JT was in... pretty sure he's got a GoPro rolling every time he steps outside... wonder if footage will surface.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Being charged a felony for skiing a closure is fucking retarded and exactly what I hate about skiing in America. Let people take responsibility for their own actions. I rode this same zone on Monday and there was hardly any debris visible in the apron. Doubtful that burial was even a possibility in this instance. everyone needs to calm the fuck down people go for rides all the time
    Enjoy the ride.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

It's a misdemeanor charge.

And if he wanted to get caught in a slide with no consequences, plenty of shit to ride in the backcountry that won't slide onto runs where somebody easily could've been traversing below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

These accidents seem to illustrate the main element of danger in the California snowpack: complacency.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    And if he wanted to get caught in a slide with no consequences, plenty of shit to ride in the backcountry that won't slide onto runs where somebody easily could've been traversing below.
    One thing that confuses me about that. Now, granted, it took a big ass stomp to trigger, but if open terrain below was in any way put in danger, shouldn't patrol have bombed it to avoid the possibility of a natural release? I know those guys (and gals) know their shit so I'm sure there's probably a good explanation, but that does seem to be a contradiction of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    These accidents seem to illustrate the main element of danger in the California snowpack: complacency.
    Tahoe 24 bro! Let's ride.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Ya and I think these Pro Skiers aren't doing anything to stop that mentality. You would never see any of them post "Skied the low angle today because of a burred weak layer." These guys are constantly surrounded by cameras, guilds and rescue personnel that they risk their lives and others around them just for a few 'likes' on FB. They should be setting an example for others who follow them, but instead they just promote "I'm the best skier on this mountain" no matter what the avalanche conditions. How many 'likes' do you get for your willingness to endanger a whole group.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    One thing that confuses me about that. Now, granted, it took a big ass stomp to trigger, but if open terrain below was in any way put in danger, shouldn't patrol have bombed it to avoid the possibility of a natural release? I know those guys (and gals) know their shit so I'm sure there's probably a good explanation, but that does seem to be a contradiction of sorts.
    Possible they bombed it and it didn't slide but that landing impact made it go.

Also possible that they weren't worried about it going naturally and were waiting to see if it would stabilize so they could open the terrain more quickly with more depth to cover the rocks.

From the limited amount I know about resort AC, both seem like possibilities to me. Somebody else chime in if that's offbase.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Hearing chatter of a lot of skiers / riders in the area getting caught in slides and not reporting it to save face... kinda lame IMO.
    Yeah I was wondering if JT's slide was going to hit the news... I think my wife told me about the slide in Coldstream on Sunday...

As far as the SugarBowl instructor search and rescue being suspended... definitely very sad news. As a part time coach with the SB ski racing program, I didn't know him as he worked in a different department. We all go thru extensive training at orientation every December, and given the 4 year drought with low snow... I think it has been easy to "let the guard down" in terms of avy conditions/tree wells etc. We definitely have a "real winter" this year, which has been hard to explain to some of the younger athletes I've worked with over the last couple weeks who haven't experienced a winter like this. They think skiing in a hoody all season long is "normal".

Anyhow, be safe out there. We have a long season to go and there will always be another day to get after it.

Changing topics briefly: I want to put my GF in a half day beginner lesson. Any recommendations on the best place based on a combination of price and quality? It can be anywhere in the basin or nearby areas. I don't exactly stay up to date on the ski schools.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

I think i missed it, were the guys on private property or usfs land?

The jt article is annoying, no statements about errors in decision-making or anything like that.....

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Changing topics briefly: I want to put my GF in a half day beginner lesson. Any recommendations on the best place based on a combination of price and quality? It can be anywhere in the basin or nearby areas. I don't exactly stay up to date on the ski schools.
    Diamond Peak or Rose... ??

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Depends on her stoke level. Kirkwood is so easy on the student with the combination of lodge and beginner lifts 7 and 9. Don't have to walk much.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Depends on her stoke level. Kirkwood is so easy on the student with the combination of lodge and beginner lifts 7 and 9. Don't have to walk much.
    ...aaand better skiing for him. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    ...aaand better skiing for him. Good call.
    Yeah, that might be a winner. Good combo. Thanks.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post
    Yeah I was wondering if JT's slide was going to hit the news..
    Is this South Lake JT? He ok??

Riding A.M. today was interesting. Every run went from good to o.k. to shit as you went down. Things are looking much more filled in than a week ago up high.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Dude claims the only sign they saw was a resort boundary sign and no closure sign. More info here: http://www.sierrasun.com/news/202443...gainst-man-who

I'm skeptical. Whenever I've skied in that area, the signage was pretty clear.
    If it goes to trial it's 1 snowboarder vs 12 old white people. Best he cops a plea. They're not going to send him to jail if he pleads. Community service most likely and maybe a fine.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If it goes to trial it's 1 snowboarder vs 12 old white people. Best he cops a plea. They're not going to send him to jail if he pleads. Community service most likely and maybe a fine.
    Could make bigger OB / closed signs for the bowl.

Enjoy the ride.
    Hell in a bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Is this South Lake JT? He ok??
    JT Holmes. There's news stories out there. Unconscious but dug out quickly and was relatively okay.

JT Holmes. There's news stories out there. Unconscious but dug out quickly and was relatively okay.
    Ah yeah was just reading that. Skiing technical avy terrain on a NE slope in CONSIDERABLE conditions. Gotta get that cover shot!!! But hey, they all had beacons so it was like totally ok.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Here's what that terrain looks like.
    Didn't shoot enough potatoes at it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Yep. Not a DA, so not sure the max penalty if they took him to trial. Unless he has a record though, I find it hard to believe a judge would allow jail time, plea or not. Probation at most. But likely just some community service time.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Maybe you'd be happier in the Alps. They don't really close stuff or control most of it--they just tell you what the avy danger is and you're on your own. But if you cause an avalanche that injures or kills someone, even "within" a ski area (there's not really a boundary--there's on piste and everything else you go to jail, even if the person or people you injure or kill were doing the same thing you were doing.