Page 114 of 140 FirstFirst ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 3488
    ^^^Did you ski V tree or the main bowl? Is the top entrance filled in? by the Saturday I'd expect a corn reset. Sunday looks like it might have a hard time softening up.

Yea, great coverage all the way around with pockets of powder and wind buff. I really thought west shore would have been a mucky mess given the temps but... DAMN!!

I had a little fun skiing with my drone yesterday:

Snow turned quickly at Alpine today but it was really nice from 11 - 1 off piste. High yellow was awesome later on and had surprisingly few tracks going back to the last storm so there were some actual powder turns. Heavier in Beaver and beyond but still worth a few hikes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1458856974.103339.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	523.6 KB 
ID:	178945

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1458857009.086488.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1,012.7 KB 
ID:	178946

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1458857050.223818.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	598.1 KB 
ID:	178947
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I had plans to go beyond West shore today, but dam if I did not leave my pack and skins at home, ended up doing 3 laps in West shore today with one boot pack to the top, still good winter turns to be had in there today. Only saw one other person today out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post

That is very cool. Could this be the beginning of the end of POV? Or at least the end of the beginning? One can only hope. (Apologies to Mr. Churchill.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That is very cool. Could this be the beginning of the end of POV? Or at least the end of the beginning? One can only hope. (Apologies to Mr. Churchill.)
    Yeah, Im curious as to the weather limitations, thinking wind over the ridge etc.,.. and, will it just follow you as you cruise along? lookout techtalk...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I had plans to go beyond West shore today, but dam if I did not leave my pack and skins at home, ended up doing 3 laps in West shore today with one boot pack to the top, still good winter turns to be had in there today. Only saw one other person today out there.
    I've never seen a boot pack out there. Bet it sticks out. And those runs hold good snow as long as the wind has played nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I've never seen a boot pack out there. Bet it sticks out. And those runs hold good snow as long as the wind has played nice.
    I saw several folks booting up there the day before, cant be to unusual!

So this edit not only has the camera pointed at the sky, but the mount camera work is super shaky too. Turns out the helmet mount I have does not quite lock into position. Nor lock the camera on really, as I had it come off twice on landings that I stuck. Sure, they were kind of flat and jolting, but clearly something is wrong. Also, you get to watch my son ski for the first minute. Tuesday was a blast, and the most fun I've had skiing this season. One of these days I'll get my angle right, ski hard, and make a clean edit. For now...

Porcupine still holding pow on the shady sides. Corn already developed on the solar sides

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    So this edit not only has the camera pointed at the sky, but the mount camera work is super shaky too. Turns out the helmet mount I have does not quite lock into position. Nor lock the camera on really, as I had it come off twice on landings that I stuck. Sure, they were kind of flat and jolting, but clearly something is wrong. Also, you get to watch my son ski for the first minute. One of these days I'll get my angle right, ski hard, and make a clean edit.
    Ottime. Do you have a gopro? If so, you need the little rubber piece that locks the clip into place. It dampens the vibration and locks the camera on. I missed mine for a day this year and spend a half-hour looking for it in the snow.

As far as the drone goes. Tuesday was the first day I was able to fly it in the winter. Every other time I've been up its been rainy, snowy or too windy. Tuesday, I could see the glass on Donner Lake. There was little to no wind on the ridgeline. The biggest problems with the toy are the self induced wind chill cooling the battery off, causing a full battery to act like it has no power left, which means there's a real chance it was going to get confused and fly away, the limited descent speed when it's in gps mode, and finding places that are open enough in Tahoe to not worry about running into trees.

Check out Xavier de la Rue's HEXO - a self-guided, tracking drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WER1-5EQqtg

So about Freel . . . .

I realize it's not the greatest descent in Tahoe, but I'd like to ski it at some because (a) it's the tallest peak in the basin and (b) it's there. What's the best time to do it? Do you approach it from SLT or Luther Pass? (I did Job's Sister from Luther Pass a few years ago and Freel didn't seem that far out of the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Sweet action! I'm gonna get a drone now just so my drone and your drone can have a drone-off!

Could this be the beginning of the end of POV? Or at least the end of the beginning? One can only hope.
    Drone footage is played out.

Why film in widescreen though? I'd think you're far enough away you should use a normal focal length so everything doesn't look like it's 25 degrees. Wide angle is made for POV.

Speaking of POV, I really want to see this footage:

^^^3 snowboarders absolutely went off on Roundtop either Tuesday or Wednesday. We couldn't believe the tracks they laid down given the snow was far from hero snow yesterday (it was definitely good). We were guessing there was a wind event the night after they were there because they'd have to be superhuman to lay down the tracks we saw as firm/chalky as the snow was. And they dropped all their lines without hiking them. Definitely some high caliber riders.
    Last edited by BGnight; 03-25-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Drone footage is played out.

Why film in widescreen though? I'd think you're far enough away you should use a normal focal length so everything doesn't look like it's 25 degrees. Wide angle is made for POV.
    Drone footage is played out, but nobody's complaining about epic heli footage from tgr! And wide angle was the default video setting after I updated the camera last week, one of a number of settings to geek out on while my bitters concern was how to strap the controller on my pack so that I wouldn't touch any controls while skiing down the slope.

Superstar Punani, I'm calling you out on a drone ski off! You have to take a shot of southern comfort for every run you take. The first one to crash loses!

Are those the mini lines lookers left of Roundtop? If so, I've always wanted to do that straightline just to say I did but they are pretty short pitches.

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Speaking of POV, I really want to see this footage:

^^^3 snowboarders absolutely went off on Roundtop either Tuesday or Wednesday. We couldn't believe the tracks they laid down given the snow was far from hero snow yesterday (it was definitely good). We were guessing there was a wind event the night after they were there because they'd have to be superhuman to lay down the tracks we saw as firm/chalky as the snow was. And they dropped all their lines without hiking them. Definitely some high caliber riders.
    Nice lines. Looks like one guy esploded.

pretty good looking tomahawk signature right there

Warming up for Saturday

Name:	DSC07971.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	783.2 KB 
ID:	179017

Name:	DSC08006_crop.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1,012.4 KB 
ID:	179018

Name:	12916296_10154115119984903_2176325452382156461_o.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	179021

Name:	DSC08020_crop0_crop.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	179019

Name:	DSC08058_crop.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	179020

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

Name:	DSC08020_crop0_crop.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	179019
    FTMFW.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

^^ That is rad.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    So about Freel . . . .

I realize it's not the greatest descent in Tahoe, but I'd like to ski it at some because (a) it's the tallest peak in the basin and (b) it's there. What's the best time to do it? Do you approach it from SLT or Luther Pass? (I did Job's Sister from Luther Pass a few years ago and Freel didn't seem that far out of the way.)
    The time my buddy submitted Freel we started from South Lake, and we overnighted above High Meadows - that would be a long day trip but feasible. Luther Pass-Horse Meadows is probably the shortest approach, but another route starts in South Lake and goes through Fountain Place.