Page 56 of 141 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 3505
    Word. Chain control on 80 in Colfax at the moment. Should make for a sporting day driving home for Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Snowing quite hard in christmas valley. Anyone getting out this morning? Thinking maybe let it snow just a bit more and head to Powderhouse? I know its late notice but given the circumstance a partner(s) would be preferable. Shoot me a PM if you are interested or if one of you guys are already getting out I'd love to jump on board? Merry Christmas everyone.
    Last edited by somethingclever...; 12-24-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Should make for a sporting day driving
    Indeed, seems like a day to avoid the roads as much as possible. Got out early in a sheltered wooded area. New snow is nice and fluffy but not bonding very well to the old stuff. Slough city.

Reports from p-house indicate good skiing. Reports from Carson pass not so much. Seems it rained higher there with widespread ice crust. Skiing at heavenry has been great above 8,250' with a rain crust below that. Perfect snow for young kids to shralp the trees. Storm came in with no wind at 7,700' and dropped a couple inches before the wind picked up and blew it elsewhere making it hard to gauge how much is accumulating up here today.

If the weather breaks tomoro night with some viz, we will have a rare Xmas day full moon powder night.

I also heard good things about P-house this morning from a friend. Safety aside, the lower angle terrain (sub 30) is skiing better right now anyway. Which makes sense with that crusty layer beneath the new snow.

powderhouse was unfreakinreal. Lower third we were still skiing on the rain crust even with 18" new. Top third there was no crust. The storm didn't even start til about 6:30 so I'm guessing everywhere is awesome now
    screenshot from hutchski's phone

hutchski and stoke

pirrows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4312.jpg 
Views:	1114 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	173875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powderhouse-011.jpg 
Views:	1116 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	173876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4309.jpg 
Views:	1099 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	173877  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Damn that looks legit ^^^. This heavy stuff looks like it was perfect boulder gap filler for over there.

Mt Rose was excellent today, hardly anyone there, light blower refilling all day. Going back tomorrow for more, UT bringing much bigger skis!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Lake Tahoe 2015/16 - Year of Godzilla Baby Jesus

West Shore report:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451008457.095444.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	173885
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451008469.491138.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	173886

Crust was wet this morning and bulletproof by afternoon. Cold winds were nuking pretty good - 25 mph sustained SW and W winds at 8k with gusts to 45. Winds slowed down by 3 PM. Oddly enough due to our aspect there was more wind and wind affected snow down low than up high, at least to 8800' where tree density and wind exposure changes. By mid-day about 18" on north facing north facing at 8500'. About 12" at 7000' and definitely riding on crust. In protected areas the upper 6" of the storm slab was sensitive but propagation potential wasn't really there yet. Didn't venture above 8800' as density of the upper slab was increasing and cracks were appearing. Mellow day at 20-25 degree turns but it was legitimately deep.

For shits and giggles dug a 1.7m deep profile (have a friend here from out of town) and it was basically consolidated rounds below the 12/23 rain crust with no sign of SH. Didn't dig in multiple spots. Snowpack is now 2m deep at 8500', well probably deeper since we left this afternoon.

Now let's see what the NW winds do the next few days.

Who's at Alpine Ghettos tomorrow? I think I'll be putzing around on one plank ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Holy shit. Deep pow from 8:30 to 4 on NV side of heave today. 2 dozen skiers up there until 10 am.

Good shit:
    The Big Carpet at Alpine is now closed for the day due to heavy snow loading. #alpinelifts
    https://twitter.com/squawalpineops/s...25831440564224

Going to head down to Mammoth early Saturday morning to work for the remainder of the holidays. Apparently it's dumping there to. Check out these pics from Wednesday of some slide activity on the mountain.

Climax goes big! Makes the fracture line in El Cap look small by comparison.

Avi 3, chair 22 area. From the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center web page, "Another active day of avalanches on the upper mountain as a result of control work on Mammoth Mtn. Several large avalanches went to the ground from gun shot rounds - see photo of Climax photo 8+ ft crown (Huevos to Upper Dry, Dragon Back 4, Paranoid 3). Hand charges and ski cuts resulted in failures within storm layer up to 18" deep."
    Merry Christmas everyone and may your new year be filled with face shots and pow days blurring together. Be careful out there and if anyone needs a crowd or snow report from Mammoth, don't hesitate to hit me up.

Enjoyed the sickness today at Northstar.

They now have a ski up Starbucks.

I grew a killer ice beard

Then a young lady came along and froze her tongue on my ice beard.

Damn fine day. All y'all ain't jinxed shit!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Mt Rose was excellent today, hardly anyone there, light blower refilling all day. Going back tomorrow for more, UT bringing much bigger skis!
    Best day in 5 years! Been a long time since I got that many face shots with fat skis! One of my best Chutes days EVER!
    Thanks Santa!!!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Yah. I was wishing I had brought the 138s. They were so fun Tuesday in the slush!
    Last edited by lepistoir; 12-25-2015 at 09:03 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Glad you guys in Tahoe are getting some, you deserve it after these past few dry years!

Not sure if Heavely was getting lake effect or not today, it got dumped on all day with refills with not many folks there. Best run of the year happened today!

They did this evening. 8"-10" in the edgewood parking lot between 4pm and midnight. Driving home this evening, the roads became clear around Ski Run. Up until 4pm it was snowing everywhere on the south shore
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I'll be in line at Zephyr early x-mas day. Red jacket, brown pants, Rossi S7's. No GF or kids with me, I'll be flying solo. If you are to, look for me and let's make some turns! So bummed I missed today.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I'll be in line at Zephyr early x-mas day. Red jacket, brown pants, Rossi S7's. No GF or kids with me, I'll be flying solo. If you are to, look for me and let's make some turns! So bummed I missed today.
    Mrs C and I will be there too, hopefully early enough to get there when they open. We'll look for you. Not sure what skis I'm bringing - thinking DPS 138, hoping it's as good as yesterday. Mrs C probably on Salomon Rocker 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Mrs C and I will be there too, hopefully early enough to get there when they open. We'll look for you. Not sure what skis I'm bringing - thinking DPS 138, hoping it's as good as yesterday. Mrs C probably on Salomon Rocker 2.
    Sounds good. I'm out the door sooner and headed up. Hoping to beat any accidents on the road and be earlier than two Mondays ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Enjoyed the sickness today at Northstar.

They now have a ski up Starbucks.

I grew a killer ice beard

Then a young lady came along and froze her tongue on my ice beard.

Damn fine day. All y'all ain't jinxed shit!
    Nice meeting you on the lift! I was the guy with the Billy Goats. I should have known you were on TGR.

Pretty amazing day at Northstar; way better than I expected.

Powderhouse was absolutely ALL TIME this morning. Zero stability issues, and very light snow. I managed 4 laps before guilt over blowing off the family got to me. The early birds set a ludicrously steep skin track, even by Tahoe standards. It was 13F when I started at 0745 and 20F when I left at 1115. Powder should hold up fine at those temps.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Some great laps in mott canyon today. Face shots, probably the deepest of the year.

Going to try to get into the backcountry this next week, if anyone needs a partner PM me because i need one too. Im a skinning newb (been bootpacking the past few years in JH), but im in shape, ski hard and can ski anything (steeps, trees, chutes)

I bet u know who to thank for that uptrack

Full moon tonight and cold pow on the ground. If the clouds break it could be an all time moon session. Holla if anyone wants to get out tonight

Oh..........merry Xmas motherfuckers!!!!!!