Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maine beta in November

Think we'll be road tripping back to Maine the first week of November for a few weeks of family time. Looks like we'll be staying near Kittery. Any suggestions for fishing ops, have a car and the willingness to drive a bit.

Particularly of interest would be landlocks and brookies, though any beach or jetty fishing I'd certainly be into as well. Better yet anyone want to take me fishing?

Fwiw...
    Not local to the southern area, but more than a few (from maineflyfish) seemed to fish the Middle Branch of the Mousam R. along and below the Massabesic Experimental Forest..becomes a stretch along the Kennebunk Plains Wildlife Mgmnt Area(WMA?)..and looks to meander for another 2-3mi downstream before crossing under I-95. No SEARCH function on the site..but seems as though some were getting brook, rainbows and browns...can't remember if LLs, but looks(looking at map) like a nice stream to try putting them in... *EDIT: Can't see why there wouldn't be good growth for browns = sea_run browns should bring that fishery along...
    DeLorme Atlas shows pretty well.
    Last edited by steved; 09-24-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Right on thanks for that tidbit.

...And to my best recollection(ATMBR), they've been catching & releasing a fair amount of holdovers....

Snapt, Are you from Maine originally? I can't help you much with the fishing there as I started fishing after I left 21 years ago... But I did grow up there and do know a budy who is a captain in that area if you are looking for a good guide.

I'm from CA but the lady is from Maine. By all means let me know the rec and if there's something going on I may book a guide though it sounds like I'll miss most of the stripah run?

FWIW....You never know about November weather around here....if you'll be up here close to Thanksgiving...that weekend is a big wkend for skiing at some of the resorts...SundayRiver(Bethel, ME) and Wildcat(NH, north of N.Conway..along #16). Whatever the conditions they try to do their best to make it look like the beginning of winter...

The Mousam is your best bet if you're not looking to drive a lot. Most of the big rivers close at the end of september but the east outlet of the Kennebec would be where to go for landlocks that time of year. That's a haul though. My best day fishing to date was on the St. George river up around Appleton that time of year, tons of brookies and some good size browns.

Thanks for the mention of the St.George amiller. I've only gone down to watch the canoe race, in the spring...when they avoid the ice..;-) Last time down, ~3yrs ago, I spotted a lot of nice water....jeez, the more one looks at the DeLorme Atlas...the more it amazes me of the amount of water south of Skowhegan/Farmington lattitudes. Snapt, a good representation of how we, in the NE, have done our best to screw the place up with all our roads & highways eh'? So many streams, ponds/bogs and lakes...

Does Maine get much of a return for atlantic salmon or do you have to go further north for that?

Link for Maine Atlantic Salmon info:

Maine 2015 Trap Counts

As you can see...the Gaspe region, as well as across the St.Lawrence into Labrador do much better...

One of these days...a trip to the Gaspe is on my to-do list.
    Last edited by dfinn; 09-25-2015 at 01:48 PM.

So, he's a friend of my best friend from High school and we were supposed to go out with him last year, but it ended up not happening. He's supposed to be awesome, though I hadn't looked at his site and he doesn't seem to do fly fishing (though that is what we were supposed to do). http://www.gcovecharters.com/www.gco...m/Welcome.html

I'd give him a call...

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    One of these days...a grip to the Gaspe is on my to-do list.
    I have some friends who have done some DIY trips up there on the cheap. Rented a car and played the beat lottery each day and rented a cheap cabin. Wanna go?!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I have some friends who have done some DIY trips up there on the cheap. Rented a car and played the beat lottery each day and rented a cheap cabin. Wanna go?!
    Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    though it sounds like I'll miss most of the stripah run?
    Ayuh

Check with LL Beans for any tour info. They are in Freeport about 45 minutes north of Kittery, oh and while your up there, there is always this http://www.mainebeercompany.com/how-...ts-right/#beer
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Stop in at SOME brewing and say hi to Dave!

Haha, I'm currently living in Southern Maine. I never really fish freshwater in Maine usually only salt…with that said let me know if you have any interest on doing some exploring.

-T

Don't forget that you are right next to NH in Kittery. Isinglass and Lamprey rivers are right nearby and have good fishing, but most are catch and release only after October 14.

Bump, fall trip got pushed back to this August, will be there for 2 weeks or so. Some time in Berwick, Portland, Lincolnville. Interested in a beach I can striper fish from. I'm told in August dawn and dusk are best, anything but a slack tide. Mackeral fishing either side of high. Any suggestions on beaches, flies, if I need waders are appreciated!

Ferry,Higgins and Scarborough beach near Portland. Outgoing tides, 1-2 hr before low. Waders are good, I have some neoprene paddling pants for wet wading in the summer too. Crab flies, clousers, big fucking feathery clousers. Stripping baskets are popular too. Stripers hit like a cement block. Good fun

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Ferry,Higgins and Scarborough beach near Portland. Outgoing tides, 1-2 hr before low. Waders are good, I have some neoprene paddling pants for wet wading in the summer too. Crab flies, clousers, big fucking feathery clousers. Stripping baskets are popular too. Stripers hit like a cement block. Good fun
    Thanks! August fish during the day or stick to low light hours? If anyone wants to fish beers are on me.

Ideally not bright sun mid day but let the tide be your guide. Take whatcha get, ping me when you get here. If I'm around I can meet u down there. I'm in Portland, land of craft beer and small plates

PM sent, if nothing else looking forward to booze and lobster.