Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Ski / Winter Stuff - What's the one thing you have that everyone else should have?

I just haven't been into gear much the last 5 years or so. I've replaced things as needed, but everything I buy seems to be super bomber and doesn't really need replaced.

Aside from the regular ski equipment, and most basic standard apparel, what is the one thing (tech, apparel, equipment, etc.) that you've got that your friends, or the general public, haven't quite caught on to yet?

This is my not so trendy addition. If you haven't picked up one of these yet, you're missing out....

Just the new style neck warmers that can be pulled all the way over your face, or just worn under a helmet or hat.

Then, there's this. Fleece hoodie. Pretty badass for a layer. If you can get one with a hood that is oversized it fits over your helmet.

agree with the neck warmers/buffs/ face masks being so so much better than the turtlefur of yore

the fleece hoody is nice but will collect dog hair galore but I almost feel like all garments should come with a hood.

Ok maybe not ALL for you literalists but ski gear etc

.5L Platypus water bottle in the jacket pocket.

One of these:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442366301.562328.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  39.7 KB

Attached to one of these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442366328.203043.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	169645

Makes life in the PNW so much easier.

nothing to do till next April
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    nothing to do till next April
    ^^^I'm not sure what that means?

The platypus in the pocket seems next level. I have a couple friends who have mentioned that to me before. Now adding that to my list.

neck warmer looks great [on Sierra anyways...]

that's one thing i could look at, still rocking the turtle fur neck warmer, it's ready for replacement...R1 hoody works fine with a light or occasionally medium base layer under. Have the platybottle...

dunno, i've gotta whistle on a lanyard in inner chest pocket of shell, but hopefully most have similar somewhere as well...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Yup.

I have 2 original Turtle furs and 2 new that I love using for hats. Love.

I would say all my Arcteryx gear, until DD turned me on to Tomahawk ski wear.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

130mm SkiTote.

dudes --

union suit(s) --
    If its really Cold., wool from Swains ...
    moderate Temps., I have to find a new polyester ( even 50/50 is okay ; Just avoid Cotton. )

Seriously - gap free coverage is the bomb .

skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    130mm SkiTote.
    Sir. you date yourself ...

( and made me laugh )

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    another endorsement for this

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    ^^^I'm not sure what that means?
    I'm pretty sure he means be able to ski 100% of days until april

Small boot dryer. I have no idea why none of my regular ski friends has one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I have a Columbia hiking hat, you know the kind that the tourists wear when they go hiking in Sedona or the Grand Canyon. It looks sort of like a Gilligan hat with a larger brim on it. It's totally dorky but incredible for a long skin track in the sun. I also fold over a bandana and put the hat over that to give me even more protection. I feel like I'm in my own little cave of shade, I love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    130mm SkiTote.
    Ahhhh, just reading the word SkiTote floods my brain with memories of High School Ski Club outings. The long bus rides in the dark sitting next to so and so, french kisses, the urge to never wash a certain finger ever again, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Ahhhh, just reading the word SkiTote floods my brain with memories of High School Ski Club outings. The long bus rides in the dark sitting next to so and so, french kisses, the urge to never wash a certain finger ever again, etc.
    This could really revitalize their marketing campaign

surefoot liner + boot heaters

avalanche beacon

A vest and a headband for the up are my secret weapons that no one else seems to use. Not so cool looking but flexible for a lot of temperature ranges. MHW (and probably everyone else) makes some windstopper vest that I wear on most BC trips. I got some cold weather running headband which is awesome for ears warm + head cool as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I have a Columbia hiking hat, you know the kind that the tourists wear when they go hiking in Sedona or the Grand Canyon. It looks sort of like a Gilligan hat with a larger brim on it. It's totally dorky but incredible for a long skin track in the sun. I also fold over a bandana and put the hat over that to give me even more protection. I feel like I'm in my own little cave of shade, I love that.
    Yes, brim hats are $$. If it's cold, you can wear a touque underneath. Great for high exertion laps when it's snowing, much more overall breathability than a hood up, ones made with a waterproof/breathable fabric are really good for this, packs down to nothing ontop of the shovel blade. The wp/b ones I've also found to be nice for those really hot summer approach days, dunk it in a creek and it'll hold water between the two parts of the brim and slowly slosh water down onto your face as you walk and stumble.

Mesh base layers
    Fleece hoody - yes but prefer the hoods that zip up like a balaclava and can fit under a helmet (eg Patagonia R1 hoody)
    Yes also to the headband for skinning
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

A scarf.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<