Thread: Resume pros?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Resume pros?

What is your go-to source for creating a solid resume? Thoughts on spending some money to have a "professional" help me re-write the whole thing?

so many templates online I doubt you need a pro to write one for you

Just helped my bf put together a fresh resume and it is nice to be able to collaborate with someone who knows your strengths too (sometimes we overlook them ourselves)

or better yet just post it here and we can edit for you

Resume pros?

Speaking as a former VP of HR: those "professionally created" resumes never impressed me. Like baby bear said, just use a free online template.

The main thing that impressed me was work ethic. I looked for someone who, when I contacted their previous employer, showed up everyday on time, properly dressed/equipped, and did a full day's work, day in and day out.

That includes volunteering. I was way more impressed by someone who listed several years of volunteer work for one non-glamorous organization than by someone who listed 10 days of volunteering in Costa Rica.

Not sure how my advice works in the brave new world of online resume screening software.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I concur. Phish, do you have a friend you trust who is a huge grammar/spelling/syntax/writing style nerd? I'd find some templates you like, mess around a bit, and then bounce ideas off that person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Simple traditional templates? If you google it you get like 5000 different looking templates. Is there a true "standard" template out there?

I think I can find a template based on a current job search that came from a career counseling agency. Will look for you. One piece of advice they gave was that for the online resume screening you should shoot to have 75-80% of the exact words used in the job posting in your resume. Meaning, make sure you have a significant amount of the exact same words as they use in the "requirements." If you're not using the online submission this won't be as important, obviously. (if you're sending directly via email, for example)

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    I think I can find a template based on a current job search that came from a career counseling agency. Will look for you. One piece of advice they gave was that for the online resume screening you should shoot to have 75-80% of the exact words used in the job posting in your resume. Meaning, make sure you have a significant amount of the exact same words as they use in the "requirements." If you're not using the online submission this won't be as important, obviously. (if you're sending directly via email, for example)
    Those online forms really stink. I sent one in this past week and it looks at the PDF that is your resume and it tries to pull all the info from it and autofill the info on to its forms. So then you have to go in and edit it/reenter it on their forms because it only correctly copies and pastes about 75% of the info. Since I took the time to have a nice neat resume/cover letter/reference sheet/etx I feel like filling out their forms is a waste of time but I went ahead and wasted my time anyway - and I say wasted because it is a job I am overqualified and underqualified for almost equally so I feel like it is a longshot...unless the HR lady is like Harry and then I have a chance of landing an interview.

What I did when putting my resume together (a couple lost opportunities back) was I gathered a couple friends resumes and studied them, put my info together, then looked at the online templates and picked one that worked the best for me. Same with the cover letter. I found it really easy. No different that picking music that I like...but for me just getting an accurate resume put together and sent out in hopes of an interview is good enough for now. Fully employed and busy as shit and not in a field where an obscenely awesome resume is needed to pry open the doors.

Is the bar that high for for baristas and fry cooks? If a "professional" is needed for you to pull together a resume I think some remedial edumacation might be required. Like BB said the best help on you can get is to have someone that knows you have a look and give advice.

Of course posting it here would generate some quality entertainment... are you looking at a medical profession?
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Just make sure you spell Sbarro correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Simple traditional templates? If you google it you get like 5000 different looking templates. Is there a true "standard" template out there?
    There is probably a fairly standard or conservative approach for whatever job or industry you are targeting. Smart googling can probably find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    I have heard the kids these days are copying the job posting and pasting it into their resume in .5 point size and white font, so the auto filtering software picks up all the key phrases.

^^^Good idea.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

The resume screening software is such shit- I honestly think it is a huge reason so many people are looking for work at the same time as so many employers say they can't find d qualified people. Lazy fuck no nothing hr people don't help. Then again, they could be too busy keeping employees from suing the company.

Sorry for thread drift-
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by suburbs View Post
    I have heard the kids these days are copying the job posting and pasting it into their resume in .5 point size and white font, so the auto filtering software picks up all the key phrases.
    I am absolutely going to do this on my next resume. Fuck the resume screening bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Just make sure you spell Sbarro correctly.

Resume pros?

you guys are a few years late on that one, but the point remains -- pull & reuse as much verbiage as possible from the rec.
    Last edited by shroom; 10-22-2015 at 09:10 PM.

This here site has a ton of good info and tips for creating a good resume. The guy who runs it is a bigwig recruiter. I've employed a lot of the suggestions on the site and have had success with my resume, coverletter and interviews.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

epicski
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi