Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Five Ten Maltese Falcon. End of story until you go back to flats.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    x3 on Pearl Izumi...other than running shoes (which they are relatively new into) I have never been disappointed w/ something from PI.
    Solid deals to be had on the x alps at tangier outlets, at least last time I checked. They seem like nice shoes.

I've only ever had Shimano, and will never buy anything else. Insane value, durable as fuck, ugly as balls. I'm OK with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Specialized Rimes. Xc shoe with some walk ability and the sole has great traction. All the specialized shoes I have had seem to fit my medium arch.

Five Ten uses same rubber as their climbing shoes for super grip, and once broken in they fit like a glove yet stiff in the sole to protect the foot

Another vote for PI X-Alp Enduros. I scored a pair off STP for $60ish a few months ago and have been stoked on them. Good on the bike and for hiking/scrambling around.

Went to a large shop and tried on most models from shimano, specialized, 5ten, giro, fizik, mavic, sidi...ended up with the giro terraduro. The Kestrel had a weird, sorta narrow fit around the toes unlike my usual 5 tens.

Note: early runs of the terraduro had delam issues. the bikeradar.com review concluded that in fact that issue has been fixed.

At any rate, anyone looking for a less mesh oriented shoe that's easy to walk in and has a grippy sole should consider this Giro.

I can see now why some Kestrel reviews complain about it being hard to achieve the right tightness on front and rear simultaneously. My hunch is that a kestrel II is around the corner.

Maltese Falcons felt ok. Didn't accommodate my high instep very well and the midsole was softer than I'd prefer. For DH I have several pairs of 5.ten flats.

IME shimano suck cuz they don't fit me and specialized are great cuz they do fit me

so either buy the shoe that fits you

OR just like with ski boots ... get the red ones
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-24-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

STP has the X Projects, pretty cheap with the 35% off code.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Anyone try on any of Northwave's all-mountaining shoes?
    I like the Shimano m162 for their stiffness, fit, and walkability, but they are ugly as fuck and look like baseball cleats for kids who can't tie their shoes.
    Something more sneaker like with similar performance, especially ankle/knee stability would be nice. Tried the 5.10 Kestrel and the heel was awful. Hard and flat. It hurt. Maybe the new lace one will be more comfy.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Mavic Scree
    Gtex is a waste of money in a mtn bike shoe....or any shoe for that matter. Aside from your urbanite rain walker maybe.

And yeah, buy the red ones.

Whatever fits is best, but I really like the longevity of my sidi mtb shoes. I bought them for $200 in 2000, they have a super stiff sole and they still work today through years of commuting, mountain and road riding. They aren't going to last much longer, maybe two more years, but they've lived through three different mountain bikes and I'll probably replace my current mountain bike before I buy my next pair of shoes.

Dominators? Went through 3 pairs (over ~15 years). Upper lasts well but eventually the nylon sole softens up and gets flexy. Trying Spiders now (newer SRS version with the carbon sole), pricier but a really nice fit and stiffer than the Dominators.

Yeah Dominators. With the slick nylon soles. The toes flex, but from the ball of the foot to the heel is still stiff as.

I got about 10 years out of a pair of Northwave Kameleons. The heel lugs have fallen off a couple of times, but they didn't effect the riding performance of the shoes (just walking), and were easy to glue back on. I think it was because I kept them in my car, and the heat softened the glue.

Just got a pair of Northwave Nirvanas as a replacement. Haven't ridden in them, but I like the fit and stiffness.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Wtf is the deal with Torbal. Why would.I want my shoe all twisty?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Gtex is a waste of money in a mtn bike shoe....or any shoe for that matter. Aside from your urbanite rain walker maybe.

And yeah, buy the red ones.
    not really the reason for getting the scree. Its is fairly weather proof though.

Huge Lugged soles that actually grip the groun, stiff sole to transfer power and Mavic build quality. My Screes nad drifts do not receive nearly as much use as my Furys but the Fury last forever.

Wtf is the deal with Torbal. Why would.I want my shoe all twisty?
    Its nice when you are leaning your bike over in turns or finessing over/through some techy stuff. Your heel can move independently of the plane with the pedal (to a point). Pearl Izumi X Project do a similar thing. They also walk and balance well off the bike.

The M163 that replaces your M162 is a nice shoe. A lot svelter than the 162.
    /end -corporate shill-

So it works like suspension?
    No longer stuck.

bumping this 2 year old thread rather than start another one.

Been using a pair of Sidis that I scored for free a few years ago, but they are getting pretty beat up. I'm such an out of shape hack that I walk a fair amount of uphills, so looking for a reasonably priced pair of shoes that are reasonably comfortable to walk in. Thoughts?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Lots on sale at Jenson right now. What's reasonable?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This is a perfect bump. Was gonna ask the wife for a pair of mountain bike shoes for my birthday. I like the look of some of the 5-10’s, but help Danno ( and me ) our with some suggestions!

I've been running Giro Terraduros for a couple years. Pretty happy with them - comfy for pedaling and decent for walking.

Early versions had durability issues. Newer versions are better, but not totally bomber. Sole started to separate in mine recently, so I used some shoe goo type stuff to re-attach everything. So far that seems to be working well. All that said, I rarely have a pair of shoes last more than ~2 years, so the Terraduros are doing about as well as anything else I've owned.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    which ones? heard the kestrals are pretty good but a little pricey.
    Huge fan of the Kestrel. I have the "pro" I think its called with Boa instead of Laces. Nice and stiff for a "walkable" clipless shoe.