Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mice!

Mice!

Anyone else at war with these little fuckers since the nights have started to cool?

I've spent 50$ on all manner of traps and killed 4. One of which I caught red handed in the pantry and went Iceman style and bludgeoned with the nearest object which happened to be Ms. Snapt's rolling pin. Now I owe her a new one.

They lick the peanut butter off the standard traps http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/bm032-24
    Same with these fancier ones http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/bm130-12
    This expensive live capture thing let them right in and back out http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/bm333-4

The only success I've had thus far is this device: http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/bm944-12
    Only issue being is it seems to strangle them rather than break their necks so I'll hear it go off in the middle of the night and listen to a Mouse's death cry. Lovely.

I finally found their infil route along the hot water heater pipes and filled in with steel wool. All baking goods and pasta are double zip locked. I'll be gone most of November so I can't really invest in a cat till after then, and I'll need a kitten to introduce to my border donkey.

I bought the hippie packets that make everything smell minty and they seem to have helped slow things a little.

Short of buying the rodent Old Sparky what else am I missing? http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/m260

I would build the bucket but I'm pretty sure the dog will just eat the peanut butter...

My dog does the job
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442162807.692866.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	169575
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

We have a constant war going, the cat keeps most out but in the garage we use the glue traps and they work great. The aspca says they're cruel, so there's that.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

We've gotten at least a dozen since temps are in the 30's overnight. No fancy strategies... Just put a lot of traps out... Not sure what brand we have, but they're the white plastic ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Guy at the hardware store said they'll chew their feet off with the glue traps and then bleed all over the place, any experience with that?
    My dog's a pussy when she's hears them in the house...

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I would build the bucket but I'm pretty sure the dog will just eat the peanut butter...
    Build the bucket. There must be someplace to put it that the dog can't get to.

When you are gone for November, antifreeze in the bucket will keep the smell away.

Combo of PB and cheese mushed into an old school trap works for me. If they are adept lickers, they will be drawn into the buffet for a nibble on the cheese.

Bucket:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Stop using bird feeders. Seriously.

that's quite the engineered bucket. I just strung wire...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Ultrasonic repellents may actually work. We had a problem with mice and sure enough no signs for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    that's quite the engineered bucket.
    For real, my floor plan is basically a big studio so its hard to keep the pooch away.

For real, my floor plan is basically a big studio so its hard to keep the pooch away.
    Wait... dogs?... mice? I built my bucket for the HT thiefs in my house. I suppose it would work for mice, too...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

...they'll chew their feet off with the glue traps and then bleed all over the place, any experience with that?
    Yes they'll do that and more likely get stuck half on/half off and drag the glue trap out and around the floor while crapping every step of the way. In Moose, lived in a little cabin in the woods and became experts at catching/destroying/ridding them from from our abode.

I'm sort of a Decon person. Cruel yes, but effective. It even recycles because mice eat the dead Decon mice and die as well. Mice who have consumed Decon decay with a weirdly pleasant "country" smell. It just smells like the woods. Just like iodine in water makes me think about backpacking.

In the end however, we found the most effective mouse control was an astute cleanliness. That was pretty hard w/ four kids crammed into a tiny two room cabin. But it worked.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I have been told that peppermint patties mashed ontolthe old-school traps are quite effective. Too solid to be licked off, too sticky to slid off, and the mice love them. Haven't tried it myself, because we only get dumb mice that fall for the peanut butter every time.

Get a kitty. My place is mouse free.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442164715.208832.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	169576

Chipmunk free too.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442164765.380170.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	169577
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Amazing how fast they can nail chipmunks. My girlfriends cat wakes up from a deep sleep, goes outside looking groggy (it's old), and, bam, dead chipmunk in thirty seconds.

snapt, there's nfw they're licking the peanut butter off if the snap traps are set right. There's like two ledges inside the piece that holds the end of the clasp, you want to be on the outside edge, not on the inside, they're fucking hair trigger set like that (to the point that you can barely put them down without them going off). Seriously, there's no way they can lick it off.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    snapt, there's nfw they're licking the peanut butter off if the snap traps are set right. There's like two ledges inside the piece that holds the end of the clasp, you want to be on the outside edge, not on the inside, they're fucking hair trigger set like that (to the point that you can barely put them down without them going off). Seriously, there's no way they can lick it off.
    This. If you aren't sweating a little when you put the trap down, it's not set right.

Totally sweating, just crammed cheese in the bait holes to hopefully make it more effective. At the moment I can hardly set them down without going off.

I put a little clear scotch tape to ensure the peanut butter stays on the trap and forces them to work at it a bit.

Also, buy some foam gap filler and seal your house..problem solved.

Totally sweating, just crammed cheese in the bait holes to hopefully make it more effective. At the moment I can hardly set them down without going off.
    Definitely not a good chore to undertake if you're hung over.

Had luck with these:

http://m.lowes.com/pd/TOMCAT-Press-a...-Mice/50259657

And these:
    http://m.lowes.com/pd/TOMCAT-Kill-an...-Mice/50259655

I have tried everything and found that they escape 50% of the time from the glue traps.

I can't imagine using the poison and not knowing where they are as the basement, where I get 95% of them, stinks when I trap and kill them until I remove the kill.

PIC easy-set traps work great but Amazon says they're discontinued, I'll try those tomcat ones, the Victor traps are nerve-wracking sometimes.

Cat is still the winner. The problem is that now she has a taste for blood. She started bringing in mice from outside through the pet door and leaving them for us as gifts.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...