Advice Needed: Weekend Trip From Wroclaw (Next Weekend)

Not a parody thread. 90% chance of it happening. While I would prefer to visit my sister in the Stuttgart area, the cost is too prohibitive for a good ROI on a weekend jaunt. I'll save that for the trip home the weekend after that and have more time. Munich is out, the travel cost isn't much better. Plus, I need survival tips while in Wroclaw. Polish is not one of the languages that I know how to count to ten in. And how on Earth do you pronounce all those consonants?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Cracked Cow?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Not a parody thread. 90% chance of it happening. While I would prefer to visit my sister in the Stuttgart area, the cost is too prohibitive for a good ROI on a weekend jaunt. I'll save that for the trip home the weekend after that and have more time. Munich is out, the travel cost isn't much better. Plus, I need survival tips while in Wroclaw. Polish is not one of the languages that I know how to count to ten in. And how on Earth do you pronounce all those consonants?
    What are you looking to do and age?

Drink, Mongrel, check shit out?

Mid 40s. Check shit out. I don't drink much when I am by myself.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Auschwitz.

There seemed to be a charter bus connection from Wroclaw when I was there in june for few days.
    Crushing place.
    And dont worry about the poles. A bit sullen in the beginning (like slavs in general..) but awesome peeps when you get to know them.
    Never mind their varying levels of english, compliment them, teach them all the naughty words and enjoy the 0.5€ beers that you will get as
    a token of friendship. Food is generally quite crappy around those parts but if you stick to some grilled meats (with paprika) you usually get some ok stuff.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

jgb@etree Guest
    Dude... Go find the gold train(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Auschwitz.

There seemed to be a charter bus connection from Wroclaw when I was there in june for few days.
    Crushing place.
    And dont worry about the poles. A bit sullen in the beginning (like slavs in general..) but awesome peeps when you get to know them.
    Never mind their varying levels of english, compliment them, teach them all the naughty words and enjoy the 0.5€ beers that you will get as
    a token of friendship. Food is generally quite crappy around those parts but if you stick to some grilled meats (with paprika) you usually get some ok stuff.
    Thanks. I hadn't thought about Auschwitz. I may have to pencil that in. Not festive but definitely a piece of history. And define crappy food.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Dude... Go find the gold train(s).
    Yes, forgot about that. You could turn your trip quite profitable if you happen to find the lost Amber Room in some booby trapped and buried
    train, hidden in a cave.. TR of the year, perhaps?

Edit: And crappy food? Well, it is not like the food is totall crap. But mainly the quisine is about boiling stuff into oblivion so that you cant
    taste shit. Or over grilling meat without any kind of spices.
    So, to put the eastern bloc quisine into one word : Beige.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Yes, forgot about that. You could turn your trip quite profitable if you happen to find the lost Amber Room in some booby trapped and buried
    train, hidden in a cave.. TR of the year, perhaps?

Edit: And crappy food? Well, it is not like the food is totall crap. But mainly the quisine is about boiling stuff into oblivion so that you cant
    taste shit. Or over grilling meat without any kind of spices.
    So, to put the eastern bloc quisine into one word : Beige.
    Hehe. Sounds like old school British. That describes what my father-in-law likes. My mother-in-law, RIP, gained an appreciation for food with flavor, even if she still did boil most things if given half a chance. The last meal I cooked for her was grilled salmon. She was pretty out of it, but one could tell she appreciated it. She liked her broccoli with some crunch to it still. That was one of many things we connected over. I always leave the broc in for an extra 20 minutes for her husband. Is it really supposed to be brown?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

false alarm. mgmt changed it's plans.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    On the topic of Auschwitz, a visit there would be better if you were spending time in Krakow, much closer. I got a very weird vibe there, this history of mass murder intermixed with tourists taking pictures of everything and the occasional selfie. Been there once, have no desire to return.

I don't really have any good advice on things to do there if you end up visiting, I was drunk the majority of the time I was in Poland.

And in case anyone is wondering, it's pronounced Vrotswaf.

Agreed its disturbingly awful, but should be seen by everyone. Wroclaw is a pretty cool city, like most of EE plenty of soviet era architecture, lots of buildings still with .50 cal rounds on the exterior. Some cool castles in the surrounding countryside. Bishop Gardens, botanical gardens and lots of scenery at the university. Also, many 12-14th century churches, etc if that's your thing.