Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 85
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    4,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    They keep coming in droves though eh? Agreed the place is dated. Still Skis fine most days though.
    Yeah the skiing is one of the few reasons Kmart is still a good option. I imagine with their October through May season, snow making is a where their focus is year after year.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Yeah the skiing is one of the few reasons Kmart is still a good option. I imagine with their October through May season, snow making is a where their focus is year after year.
    Huh. And here I thought the skiing was the only reason for anyplace to be an option.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,776
    Always plenty of happy skiers there in the fall and spring, which is when I usually ski there, sure there will be plenty this season. With the price of diesel down and lift tickets likely up they should pull in some extra cash this fall.

    You want old? run down? go to Smuggs or Bush North.
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    7,821
    Thursday February 5, 2015
    Easily the best day of the year, in central VT.
    The two runs I made down skiers right from the top of the fiddle, will be etched in my hard drive for a long time.
    Love Kmart
    crab in my shoe mouth

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    On the field
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Thursday February 5, 2015
    Easily the best day of the year, in central VT.
    The two runs I made down skiers right from the top of the fiddle, will be etched in my hard drive for a long time.
    Love Kmart
    Skiers right so minty
    Left ovation top to bottom don't tell anyone who gives a shit about amenities

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,049
    Shhhh, there is no good skiing at Kton!!!

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    14,724
    Haha, Kmart is New in the Box compared to certain resorts in WV.

    Quit yer bitchin.
    watch out for snakes

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pico, VT
    Posts
    3,982
    Interesting questions to ponder. You have to figure Killington is all in on snowmaking (as others have said) for a few more years. They won't admit it, but resorts are all banking on some TERRIBLE ec winters, and allocating limited capital accordingly.

    As far as new lifts or upgrades to old ones, probably will focus on Pico, snowshed and superstar in the next 10 years with new quads or six packs. Bear quad might see a biggish maintenece project (e.g. rebuilt drive, or new chair pads etc.) but will stay a fixed grip forever. Half the fun of that chair is the slow pace permits more intimate heckling of those on OL. Ditto for outpost at Pico which I think is even older.

    BUTTAH STFU. Nothing good over there to see.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

    "You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

    "I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

    "It's simple science." -lionelhutz

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,252
    Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    Interesting questions to ponder. You have to figure Killington is all in on snowmaking (as others have said) for a few more years. They won't admit it, but resorts are all banking on some TERRIBLE ec winters, and allocating limited capital accordingly.
    Wasn't last season back east kinda epic overall? Isn't the Polar vortex expected to return?
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pico, VT
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Wasn't last season back east kinda epic overall? Isn't the Polar vortex expected to return?
    Last season north-of-Boston had moderately above average snowfall, and below average temperatures. A good season. Epic? It's in the eye of the ski-pole-holder

    Going forward: No one knows. A safe bet though is on a need for increased snowmaking.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

    "You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

    "I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

    "It's simple science." -lionelhutz

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    7,821
    It was epic last season.
    For us, that means we had a six week window, wherein, we did not get above freezing. Doesn't sound like much, but it made for a great run of quality sliding. We never know what we're gonna get, but banking on snowmaking, is money well spent.
    And GP is right, I've said too much.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pico, VT
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    It was epic last season.
    For us, that means we had a six week window, wherein, we did not get above freezing. Doesn't sound like much, but it made for a great run of quality sliding. We never know what we're gonna get, but banking on snowmaking, is money well spent.
    And GP is right, I've said too much.
    I totally agree BF: we had a 6 week window of great skiing. probably better in your neck of the woods than mine.

    I'd just point out that we in VT/NH/ME/NY/MA get a 4 week window just about every year, so calling 6 "epic" or "all time" is (I think) a disservice to ec skiing.

    no doubt about it though, there were a lot of good times and high fives last year. great fun. can't wait to see what we can get into this year
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

    "You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

    "I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

    "It's simple science." -lionelhutz

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    36,037
    Of course it was Epic. The late season was the best in thirty years. I called a buddy of mine on his cell on April 20 or so, expecting him to answer anywhere else than the fork in the road of Cascade and Flume, and he was going down Flume. It was actually open, and he told me coverage was awesome. That fucking trail is barely open in January sometimes.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY/Pittsford,VT
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Of course it was Epic. The late season was the best in thirty years. I called a buddy of mine on his cell on April 20 or so, expecting him to answer anywhere else than the fork in the road of Cascade and Flume, and he was going down Flume. It was actually open, and he told me coverage was awesome. That fucking trail is barely open in January sometimes.
    And to think K didn't even receive 200" last season. I think 198" was the total.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,756
    Couple of good dumps last season. The key was that it stayed cold for good stretches to keep the goods in the woods.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Fran/x Boston/x aspen/x stowe
    Posts
    376
    Feels like a Vail Resorts Target. Vail has to be itching to get a NE ski area to launch the Epic Pass into. That would put a dent in everyone else and capture some seruous vacation travel to the western resorts from two fo the biggest east coast metro areas. The Park City battle no doubt put ding in PWDR's capital plans as a whole. Overall, I don't see a huge problem with Killington at the moment. It isn't what it could be but it is still one of my favorite places to ski in NE. And, the new Peak Lodge is beautiful.
    live the life.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    soaring on the shitwinds
    Posts
    7,308
    Needs 12 pack lifts with dick heaters and GoPro chargers, clearly.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,061
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Needs 12 pack lifts with dick heaters and GoPro chargers, clearly.
    Heh. Well said.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    36,037
    Hey, at least they have snowmaking and working chairs. And it's open on Wednesday.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  20. #45
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,252
    Quote Originally Posted by maskinut View Post
    Feels like a Vail Resorts Target. Vail has to be itching to get a NE ski area to launch the Epic Pass into. That would put a dent in everyone else and capture some seruous vacation travel to the western resorts from two fo the biggest east coast metro areas. The Park City battle no doubt put ding in PWDR's capital plans as a whole. Overall, I don't see a huge problem with Killington at the moment. It isn't what it could be but it is still one of my favorite places to ski in NE. And, the new Peak Lodge is beautiful.
    I can't imagine for the life of me that powdr would lose Killington to Vail as well, but money is money. If Vail takes Kmart powdr might as well just dissolve totally. What's left? Las Vegas ski and windells?
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    On the field
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Hey, at least they have snowmaking and working chairs. And it's open on Wednesday.
    Yeah Benny you tell em
    I can't believe I just agreed with him
    K-Ton is doomed

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Up in ya face!
    Posts
    3,426
    Killington is the worst. Don't go there. Do Jersey Vermont!! Maple syrup gives you ebola!!

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by maskinut View Post
    Feels like a Vail Resorts Target. Vail has to be itching to get a NE ski area to launch the Epic Pass into. That would put a dent in everyone else and capture some seruous vacation travel to the western resorts from two fo the biggest east coast metro areas. The Park City battle no doubt put ding in PWDR's capital plans as a whole. Overall, I don't see a huge problem with Killington at the moment. It isn't what it could be but it is still one of my favorite places to ski in NE. And, the new Peak Lodge is beautiful.
    While I soooooo wish Vail would buy Killington, having skimmed their SEC reports, I don't think they are interested in the eastern market. They have all the figures that say who is buying multi-day tickets online, epic passes, and booking trips. A large percentage come from the northeast already.

    They recently bought two midwestern hills, these are like 200-300 ft of vert and would be considered feeder hills. So, you have an epic pass to Afton Alps outside Minneapolis, then hop on a 2 hour flight to Denver for a long weekend at Summit county a few times a year.

    While some some people who ski Killington might go out west once a year, Killington is more competing with the west (not very well) as a destination resort, and could not really be considered feeder mountain. If Vail came in and dropped $50M to make Killington totally awesome, it would draw some visits away from their western resorts.

    But, I really hope I'm wrong!

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I can't imagine for the life of me that powdr would lose Killington to Vail as well, but money is money. If Vail takes Kmart powdr might as well just dissolve totally. What's left? Las Vegas ski and windells?
    Copper. I'd say it's more likely they sell out Copper to Vail, more than anything. And then connect it to Breck. Anyone want to bet this happens within the next 10 years............?!

    http://www.epicski.com/t/141818/spec...erconnect-ever

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,415
    Last November didn't suck at K-Mart either.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442325585.567629.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	169622

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •