Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Anyone else on here never own a credit card?
    Is this a trick question? Pretty sure no one on TGR has ever owned their own credit card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Is this a trick question? Pretty sure no one on TGR has ever owned their own credit card.
    Possess, have in his/her wallet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Possess, have in his/her wallet, etc.
    As opposed to having it in someone else's wallet? That's actually one of the key benefits of having a credit card.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    As opposed to having it in someone else's wallet? That's actually one of the key benefits of having a credit card.
    Yea sometimes I keep mine in my sweaty ass crack and when I hand it over to the clerk at the grocery store she can get a nice whiff before swiping it!

Bet the mag stripe stays nice and dark. Well played.
    Hugh Conway sucks

I, like El Chup, killed the CC game pretty hard for a while. Mostly AMEX and Citi Card cards during the halcyon days of 2014-2015. Totally amped up our travel game at a fraction of the cost. 7 tix to Costa Rica, 12 tix to Turks and Caicos, 8 tix to Big Island HI, couple tix to UT/MT/WY in the winter, 4-5 domestic tix to here and there... Decent amount of time and effort required for sure. Kind of lost track exactly, but I'd guess we put out 3K in cash to acquire the 1.5-2.0 million miles/points/credits cashed in for the above. Over the long haul I'd say we knocked about 85% off our air expense.

Fun racket, but rules to the game have changed. If you wanna head down that rabbit hole head to Flyertalk.

Bump

Just realized I'm under the 5/24 rule, so looking to get back in the game. I used to follow a FatWallet thread that summarized all the current CC deals, but FW is no more. Is there a simple resource like that these days? I know the info is on reddit, but reddit is difficult to navigate, and it seems like I have to wade into long discussion threads to find what I want to find.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We just switched some stuff around, ditched a card and got the Capital One Venture card. The 2 miles per dollar spent is good, the way you redeem them for travel is super easy and works perfect, and they have some side deals (like 10x points when you use Hotels.com) which are pretty nice. My priority was getting and using points for travel. We pay the balance monthly so interest rates were not really a concern, I'm not even sure what they charge.

My biggest regret about getting it is now they'll use some of my money to keep funding their damn commercials.

The points game has changed a lot. Take a look at the site doctorofcredit.com for up to date credit card bonus info - the guy who runs it doesn't favor any cards over others because of referral kickbacks (vs, say, the points guy).

I'm over 5/24 until about April next year, then will be back at it with more strategy involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

RIP fatwallet. the tgr for cheap bastards.

I stopped doing app-o-ramas years ago, but I was usually doing it for the signing cash.

If you're looking for points, chase has a 3% cash back points for the first year offer that my wife just picked up.

Pen Fed has 5% back on gas, 3% on groceries, and 1% on everything else
    $100 Statement Credit for $1500 in 90 days.

Looks like chase and B of A are doing $200 cash for opening right now.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The points game has changed a lot. Take a look at the site doctorofcredit.com for up to date credit card bonus info - the guy who runs it doesn't favor any cards over others because of referral kickbacks (vs, say, the points guy).
    Thanks!

I'm mostly just looking for sign up bonuses (miles/points/cash).

I'm not looking for cards to be a regular in my wallet. I already get 2% cash on everything, plus 5% on some things like utility bills, cell phone bills, Discover's rotating categories, and 3-4% on the Costco Visa for certain things. So sign up bonuses are my motivation.

Looking at the Capital One Venture right now, they denied me a year ago but I've been quiet on the credit card game since, so they may approve me this go round.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Capital One Savor

unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases.
    one-time $300 cash bonus once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening

It won’t help Danno but Discover doubles cash back over the first year. So that 3% is 6%...

Just got a Chase Saffire for our Europe trip. We'll see how that pays off.

If you have room at Chase, check out the ink business preferred. 80,000 points when you spend $5k. Basically $800 cash or $1,000 in travel. Plus you get 3x points for any travel purchases and no foreign transaction fees. Perfect card for BBI Yurp.

Technically it’s a business card but I just said I rent my house out and had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    RIP fatwallet. the tgr for cheap bastards.
    Slickdeals has some of the same type of discussions as Fatwallet did. They do not have a specific Finances forum, but a good number of credit card offer discussions if you do a bit of searching...

Doctorofcredit FTW.

Don't forget to hit up the banks for retention offers on your old cards. Bonus points/miles/cash with no hard pull.

Doctorofcredit also has good info on checking and savings acct signup bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Just got a Chase Saffire for our Europe trip. We'll see how that pays off.
    I like mine, sapphire reserve.. Annual fee is offset by travel credits and other perks, points add up quick and booking travel / transferring the points is easy. lots of perks (airport lounges, and other deals). Points 3:1 travel and dining, 1:1 everything else. When i signed up they offered 100k points for 3k in 90 days but now i think it's 50k?
    If you refer someone you might get 50k points referral bonus.
    I use it for everything and pay the balance, not sure about interest rate. we get a free plane ride almost every year with the points. Would recommend.

Hmm, I think I need a new card. I run about $75k-$100k thru cards every year between work and personal. Most of that is flights, hotel and dinners. Flights will stay on SW, hotels Marriott, but maybe I should go for a discover card for the rest to get cash back.

The Southwest companion pass perk is hard to beat. This year we’ve taken or scheduled 12 one way flights. Probably $2-3k for my wife’s tickets and I haven’t paid for a personal flight in years.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The points game has changed a lot.
    Ain't that the truth. Man, the days of churning the Citi AA Exec card as fast as you could repeat for 100K AA miles + $300 a pop are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thanks!

I'm mostly just looking for sign up bonuses (miles/points/cash).
    In a vacuum I'd get the Chase Ink Biz Preferred and the Chase Sapphire Reserve, knock out the min spend on each. Eat $545 annual fees, walk away with parting gifts of $300 travel credit + 130K Ultimate Rewards. Redeem those Ultimate Rewards for $1950 in airfare/hotels prior to paying 2nd annual fee.

If you're gonna keep the card long term, Capital One Venture is a great card. I have had it forever.

Did anyone else get this?
    Bank of America
    Who’s been my cc company on auto pay monthly for the full balance for at least a decade, sends me a letter that actually looks real, demand letter for SS#, occupation, addresses etc due in 10 days or they may need to restrict or close my account?

All info they already have.
    Never missed a full balance payment
    Credit score well over 800..

Weird? Automated required government bullshit?
    BOA in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Did anyone else get this?
    Bank of America
    Who’s been my cc company on auto pay monthly for the full balance for at least a decade, sends me a letter that actually looks real, demand letter for SS#, occupation, addresses etc due in 10 days or they may need to restrict or close my account?

All info they already have.
    Never missed a full balance payment
    Credit score well over 800..

Weird? Automated required government bullshit?
    BOA in trouble?
    Scam
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Scammer that happened to get a BofA customer (you). They don't need that info.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Wow. Super legit looking printed paper letter.
    Seemed fake, but still kinda surprised.

I mean I’ve gotten hundreds of email scams and thousands of phone calls but not sure I’ve seen a printed color with envelope snail mail.
    Times they are a changin.

Call them, with a number you have (eg the phone number on your card) to confirm, if you want.