Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Layering question

I am wanting to change up my inbounds layering system this year. I have all merino base layers but am looking at getting a Patagonia nano puff jacket to go over my base layer then my shell.

Anyone run a similar set up? I have not owned a light down sweater, I usually run fleece under my shell. I am wanting to shed some weight as well as bulk. How well does the nano puff breath? To much heat retention for inbounds riding? I run a little on the warm side but my resort that I ride at is short on vert with longish chair rides so not a lot of time to work up a sweat skiing.

I wear atom lt hoody over base layer with a shell most days inbounds. Seems to be the best combo I've found. Keeps me warm on the chair and not too hot on the down. Nano puff would be great.

I adjust base layers for the weather.

Like most of these things, this is highly personal. I also run on the warm side and there is no way that I would wear my nano puff inbound unless it was very cold. I usually ski with a light and medium long sleeve under my shell and nothing else. Otherwise I would sweat constantly.

What are you wearing now and are you too warm, too cold, too moist, etc...

Seth

My go to these days is a merino baselayer, patagonia R1 hoody, then shell. Works great for around 0ºC. Little chilly on long lift rides, but great for going back down.

If it gets much colder ill either swap the R1 for my Atom LT, or just add the Atom LT into the mix.

I feel like this setup covers everything I need.

Agreed on the weather thing. If it gets colder I have a vest I can toss over the nano. Warmer, just vest over merino. Really concerned about breath ability and if the nano would be to warm. Sounds like a good combo though.

I don't have a nano but have a BD puffy. It's very warm under a shell. I would imagine, if anything, you'd be too hot.

Seth, I run a 150 merino base, light fleece pullover and fleece jacket then a shell. For normal winter weather riding, temps around 20f or less it is fine heat wise, maybe just a tad warm on the down but I'm cooled off by the time i hit the top, and breathability but is bulky and a little heavy. I purchased some 250 merino base tops and thinking the nano puff then a shell. I know this stuff is a personal choice, but would like others input on this.

Layering question

This is almost like "what bindings work best with Lange boots ?"

I ski at Big Sky, which is cold and windy. I gave up on trying to make layering work and now run insulated pants and jacket (Arcteryx).

Works for me, but probably won't work for most.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

^^^ This.
    First, way too many variables for people to possibly provide an educated answer for your specific needs.
    Second, wtf are you concerned about trying to save weight while riding lifts?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    ^^^ This.
    First, way too many variables for people to possibly provide an educated answer for your specific needs.
    Second, wtf are you concerned about trying to save weight while riding lifts?
    I cut all the tags off my Spyder jacket

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I cut all the tags off my Spyder jacket
    Where does mom write your name now so all the other kids don't take it?

For me Nano puff under hard shell is really warm and doesn't breathe that well. I can't wear that combo if I am at a resort like JH skiing hard - I'd be drenched by the end of a run. Nano puff under soft shell is way less warm but really breathes well. That is my go to with the vest on standby. If it is really cold or I am skiing short runs I add fleece pants and just change to a hardshell or a down Dawn Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    This is almost like "what bindings work best with Lange boots ?"

I ski at Big Sky, which is cold and windy.
    He speaks the truth. I took a couple runs with Harry last year and about froze to death. Not sure what I was thinking that morning with my layers.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-07-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    My go to these days is a merino baselayer, patagonia R1 hoody, then shell.
    I rock this same setup except with the now discontinued piton hybrid and it has been perfect traveling all over New England and out West. One of major selling points on the piton hybrid for me was that it has windstopper on the chest, back, and back of the arms. I have a NF insulated shell that I wear when its frigid out.

Sounds like you're looking to eliminate the bulk of two fleeces, maybe check out something more climbing specific or athletic fit that will layer better?

Layering question

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    He speaks the truth. I took a couple runs with Harry last year and about froze to death. Not sure what I was thinking that morning with my layers.
    HA ! I remember that morning. It was crystal clear bluebird, probably -25F at 9am. It warmed up to about +5F by noon though.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I like patagucci nano air or polartec alpha based jackets for what you're after. warm as primaloft but far more breathable and comfortable accross a wide range of temps.

On 30F days I wear an alpha jacket + a merino t-shirt, on 20F days a midweight baselayer + alpha and on cold cold days I wear a grid fleece plus alpha or if I'm not planning on hiking I switch the alpha piece with a mid-weight down jacket.

My travel layers are med weight base, light fleece mid, nano puff for cold days, shell. I've found that combo covers everything well. The nano breathes better and has a broader comfort range than fleece. It also packs better and of course is lighter when every ounce counts (in my luggage). I skied the Valle Blanche where it was --40 wind chill at the top, sunny and warm at the bottom as was comfortable the whole way down without taking off the Nano. So an excellent combo IMO. I would get the hoody if you plan to use it for anything other than resort skiing.

The one day I got in at Big Sky this year was -10 and ended up just fine in my OG under armour longsleeve, a marmot LS base, and my Sierra Designs dridown stretch hoody. May have had two layers of tights on as well under my non-insulated pants...

Just plan on spending a day or two spinning the "wheel of layer combinations" and seeing what works for you. I spend most of my days here at Bridger hiking ridge laps and it took me a while to realize all I needed on the way up was a fleece mid, running gloves, and a beanie if I didn't want to be soaked come lunchtime.

Layering question

I understand that everyone is going to layer a little differently, but hoped some were using a similar set up to what I was thinking, looks like a few do, thanks for those replies. Glad to hear the nano breaths really well.

Weight is not really a big concern, bulk is. If I can shed some weight here and there then why not?. I am starting a new workout at my gym and hope to drop 20lbs by ski season, so there's that.

Funny thing Harry, when I lived in Bozeman and skied the big every day, my layer system was less then what I am running today. Much bigger vert to get the sweat going, plus I ski like my hair is on fire most the time.

I knew I would get some of the replies I got, it's fucking TGR for shit sake and I expect nothing less.

IME the Nano Puff isn't that breathable. If you're concerned about that I'd check out the Nano Air instead. Still, probably only for colder days.

^Ok thanks.

for me the light to heavy LS baselayer, then a lined soft-shell vest and shell works fairly often...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Seriously man, look at some jackets made of polartec alpha, it's magic.

Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    ^Ok thanks.
    I wear a down sweater as s mid layer on cold days with my daughter or GF, especially on the east coast. Try to avoid the puffy when skiing solo.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

In WA st anything more than a 150 merino base layer and a shell, and I'm fucking roasting. But I can't ever remember it being colder than like 15f. Normally in the mid 20s.