Page 226 of 272 FirstFirst ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 6779
    Tahoe is pricey on a whole new level now. It's insane what's happened in the last 3-4 years. My Truckee house I bought for $550k in 2016 is now worth around $1.3 million. It's nutty.

As for Homewood, yeah it's still empty but I have some potentially bad news for you: https://www.moonshineink.com/tahoe-n...witches-gears/

Still love it here so I'd never say don't bother, just brace yourself for how much it has changed.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Tammy Wynette cannot be reached for help-Divorce advice

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Tahoe is pricey on a whole new level now. It's insane what's happened in the last 3-4 years. My Truckee house I bought for $550k in 2016 is now worth around $1.3 million. It's nutty.

As for Homewood, yeah it's still empty but I have some potentially bad news for you: https://www.moonshineink.com/tahoe-n...witches-gears/

Still love it here so I'd never say don't bother, just brace yourself for how much it has changed.
    Bad snow years kills Homewood. Good snow yrs make it a dream. Especially skiing OB on Ellis. I still remember my last run behind lake Louise before I left for the shitwest. Blower.

Homewood has always been a local west shore place. best friends brother is an investor in JMA so hopefully I’d have an in. But I’d still have to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Jesus, don't go to the central valley. Plenty of other places that are just as cheap without living in a constant layer of smog.
    Where (that's a little desert-y and sunny)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I'm trynna figure this stuff out too. My Things are older than yours, but proximity to them is a factor. I love that they roll through the house at their leisure, see them often, stay close.

And I'm so done with living in the city. Been looking at Central Valley too. You can buy a pretty decent doublewide in a park there for +/- $100k, or a decent real house for +/- $250. And yes, I know Fresno/Merced et al is kind of a shithole, but is that a tradeoff I might be willing to make for reducing my living expenses by 60%? Southern Utah is cool, some cheap out of the way places there. Albuquerque?

Post divorce, all the money I have for retirement is under my ass in this house and right now life costs way more than I want it to having had to mortgage the house to settle the divorce and now have a 2.5x bigger payment than I ever had before. Even if I sell it's not gonna be a fat retirement fund, though I'm very fortunate to have what I have. And that includes my little boat which I'd love to keep in the water and basically use as my PNW summer cabin by cruising in the sound and north if I didn't have to earn like I do now to keep it all afloat.

The changes skiing has gone through in the last few years have diminished (I'm ashamed to say) the importance of proximity to a mountain which had previously been an important consideration. It is, sadly, less so now. Fuck I hate to write those words.

I hear I could live like a king for the rest of my life in someplace like Costa Rica on what I'll take out of the house eventually. Portugal has great incentives for 'murican retirees there. But so far away from my kids and the boat.

Can't quite figure out what direction to go. It's a conundrum for sure.
    Dude, move to Douglas or Grant county WA before considering the Central Valley. Seriously, fuck that. Agrismog, hot as fuck, grungy and violent. East Wenatchee, Waterville, Ephrata or Quincy are better than anything in the Central Valley and closer to the mountains, rivers and lakes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Dude, move to Douglas or Grant county WA before considering the Central Valley. Seriously, fuck that. Agrismog, hot as fuck, grungy and violent. East Wenatchee, Waterville, Ephrata or Quincy are better than anything in the Central Valley and closer to the mountains, rivers and lakes etc.

Yeah, don't move too far away oft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I am very happy with Del Norte CO. Seriously why would you want to retire and deal with freeway traffic to recreate.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I am very happy with Del Norte CO. Seriously why would you want to retire and deal with freeway traffic to recreate.
    I'm not sure if anything in CO is cheap anymore though.

Dayton, WA ?
    Waitsburg, WA?
    Baker City, OR?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Some dude told me silver city NM was a cool area. Not close to skiing but for chilling part of the year..

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Some dude told me silver city NM was a cool area. Not close to skiing but for chilling part of the year..
    You have to be able to overlook a serious amount of open pit mining. And yeah, it’s a long fucking way to skiing, and summers are hot there. But other than that…

I would like warmer and sunnier in the winter I think. So WA and OR destinations are not super appealing. Somewhere in the SW or CA, NV. Dunno. As I said, skiing access is feeling less important than it once did. Might become a destination or road-trip holiday skier.

Ideally summer would be in the PNW on the boat.

Dolores, Cortez, Mancos CO.

Decent places for 250-300k.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Decent places for 250-300k.
    Good area, has so far avoided sprawl. Something appears to be going on in mancos. There is a lot of what looks like waterline pipe staged there. I have been on my boat 5 days now. Was planning 6 weeks. Ready to say fuck this. Living on a boat is not good for your physical being.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    <snip> it’s a long fucking way to pretty much anything, and summers are surface-of-the-sun-hot there. But other than that…
    Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Don't forget Walden, Craig and Dinosaur! And of course, everyone's favorite: Limon.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Don't forget Walden, Craig and Dinosaur! And of course, everyone's favorite: Limon.
    There's some tough competition between Craig and Kremmling.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Well others have made suggestions but even if you were looking around the central valley, go to the other side of it towards Watsonville / Salinas and live relatively close to the coast / Monterey Bay south of Santa Cruz. The air is better and you can still find relatively cheap real estate. There are some great hidden pockets out there amongst all of the agriculture.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    There's some tough competition between Craig and Kremmling.
    Ah, yes... Kremmling. How could I forget?

Ah, yes... Kremmling. How could I forget?
    They are the glorious bookends of the 40 corridor.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I have been on my boat 5 days now. Was planning 6 weeks. Ready to say fuck this. Living on a boat is not good for your physical being.
    How big? I've done a week no problem, and have enough friends and fam in the PNW that I could probably get some land time if necessary. Living at the dock is one thing, being out cruising might be another?

Well others have made suggestions but even if you were looking around the central valley, go to the other side of it towards Watsonville / Salinas and live relatively close to the coast / Monterey Bay south of Santa Cruz. The air is better and you can still find relatively cheap real estate. There are some great hidden pockets out there amongst all of the agriculture.
    i guess cheaps a relative thing, but there isn’t much nice (ie a single family home, not a trailer, and set away from the towns which have had issues in the past) less than $750k. Even the salinas valley towns (Soledad, Gonzalez, King City) aren’t cheap for what they are until you get down to Atascadero/Paso Robles.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I once interviewed for a job in Silver City. It seemed like a cool place to me in the small town, high desert sense, though the people interviewing me seemed pretty convinced that most candidates would not like it there (i suspect most academics don't want to live in small towns in the middle of nowhere NM). The Gila National Forest to the north is cool. And while I might have very different standards as I live outside of Las Vegas, Silver City isn't that hot in the summer. The hottest month is July and the mean highs are lower than May in southern NV. May here is a warm but perfectly livable month here where I'm happy to do outdoor stuff (though maybe just not in the middle of the day). Silver City seems like it would have a really nice climate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    <snip> I might have very different standards as I live outside of Las Vegas,
    Undoubtedly...

I just checked Vegas conditions:

Mostly Cloudy
    99°F

FTS.

Undoubtedly...

Mostly Cloudy
    99°F

FTS.
    It’s a dry heat

Undoubtedly...

Mostly Cloudy
    99°F

FTS.
    It is disorienting to not see blue sky...

I lived in the Northeast before. 90s there was miserable. 90s here is no biggie if you aren't working/hiking in the sun and evenings when it's still in the 90s but the sun has set are actually pleasant to sit outside and have a drink. It's just a really different weather scale.

Now, bump those temperatures up 10-15 degrees in June-August and it's near unlivable, I agree.