Page 150 of 272 FirstFirst ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 6779
    I enjoy how we ascribe relationship success to “a wise choice.” It’s a nice pat on the back for a moment that becomes vanishingly minor against the full weight of maintaining lifelong relationships.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    So. Why is it a white house?
    Dunno. All I got is this.

I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I enjoy how we ascribe relationship success to “a wise choice.” It’s a nice pat on the back for a moment that becomes vanishingly minor against the full weight of maintaining lifelong relationships.
    I think if you look at the inverse, the vanishingly minor becomes increasingly major.

I applaud anyone who feels they made a wise choice and are happy. I don't see it as a self-back-pat. It's appreciation for being with a good person, and a good thing.

Most of all for those who made a good choice I hope for you that you always are able to say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    People change. Sometimes what was a "wise choice" at 25 turns into a bad choice at 35 or 40 or 45. I wouldn't be so quick to ascribe personal virtue to something that is really luck of the draw.
    ah yeah exactly, the person I was in my early twenties when I met my future ex wife and who I am today, well they are two totally different people
    people do change over time, if you don't that's cool

today I spent two hours with someone talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, twenty plus years ago I was trying to score a bag of weed and wondering if I was going to get 100 days on the mountain or not

power to anyone who "chose wisely" that's great, I guess we're not all that lucky, at least now, I know to dump them after two or three weeks when I realize it ain't gonna work

the relationship can change, people change, and suddenly what you both had in common at one point, well you find out you have nothing that ties you together anymore, but maybe some kids and financial interests

My point is that sometimes the wisest choice you can make is to realize it's over and GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I applaud anyone who feels they made a wise choice and are happy. I don't see it as a self-back-pat. It's appreciation for being with a good person, and a good thing.

Most of all for those who made a good choice I hope for you that you always are able to say that.
    Everyone thinks they are making a "wise choice" at the time.
    People change,that is a fact.
    My wife is changing as I type this.
    Marriage is a never ending maintenance job for me.

“A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.”

- Muhammad Ali

People change; if they don’t, Jebus; avoid them.

The hope is that you and your partner change in similar, or at least compatible, ways, and can adjust to the changes to stay on the same path. Some can, some can’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post

The hope is that you and your partner change in similar, or at least compatible, ways, and can adjust to the changes to stay on the same path. Some can, some can’t.
    Yep. I consider myself not so much wise as lucky as fuck. Though, no matter what sex you are, if you are considering marrying someone and they don't tick the "Not fucking crazy" box you might want to think long and hard about that decision.

nobody goes into it thinking marriage has a finite time line

but as opposed to ending up in a domestic disturbance

there comes a time to either fish or cut bait

and move on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Everyone is crazy. The key is finding someone with a particular brand of craziness you can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post

Amen

All I know is that after 30 years I still like being with her. I feel better when she is near. She makes my life better and I’m good with that.

My now ex-wife developed bipolar I after the birth of our daughter. So let's not be so quick to qualify one's decisions as better than others. Shit happens, and to think you can make "good" decisions based on future events is naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Besides, it's not like you can cast a spell on your spouse & make them change.
    Zing.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Everyone is crazy. The key is finding someone with a particular brand of craziness you can live with.
    Word.

Tammy Wynette cannot be reached for help-Divorce advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yep. I consider myself not so much wise as lucky as fuck. Though, no matter what sex you are, if you are considering marrying someone and they don't tick the "Not fucking crazy" box you might want to think long and hard about that decision.
    This I can get behind. I understand the expression of “wise choice” but I think it’s a fallacy to believe that luck doesn’t play a massive role in selecting the right partner that you can sustain a long term loving relationship with, and what isn’t luck is hard work. And the tiny half a percent that’s left over you might halfway seriously attribute to the application of whatever wisdom is available to your horny twenty-something or thirty-something brain.

That’s all.
    focus.

Definitely an element of luck.

Boyz, it's good and lucky and wise and wonderful until it's not, which is never for some folks. I'm happy for them and sincerely hope it stays that way. I believe that's always better than going through the mess of splitting up, but sometimes there's just no "getting through" those issues.

There are so many variables it is impossible to paint any of it with a broad brush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    the relationship can change, people change, and suddenly what you both had in common at one point, well you find out you have nothing that ties you together anymore, but maybe some kids and financial interests
    It takes a lot of working at the relationship, self sacrifice and just letting shit go to have a lasting relationship IMO. I love being the mom and dad that hung in there for my kids, but some days I am just over it and ready to bale. I am sure she feels the same way, but we keep trying to have fun together and hang in there. It ain't easy, but we do have our great moments after 39 years together.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    <snip> I love being the mom and dad that hung in there for my kids, but some days I am just over it and ready to bale.
    So you're thinking about taking up farming?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Definitely an element of luck.
    There is a reason 40-50% of marriages end in divorce, which is even higher for subsequent marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So you're thinking about taking up farming?

The world needs farmers. Although this is sobering...

https://www.agweek.com/opinion/colum...s-most-couples
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Well, at least they have their own dating site.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The world needs farmers. Although this is sobering...

https://www.agweek.com/opinion/colum...s-most-couples
    they need ditch diggers too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy