Page 154 of 272 FirstFirst ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 6779
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Honest question: are you 32 and from the midwest?
    Negative. I don't think you and I know each other.

There are a couple mags who probably know who I am. They thankfully haven't outed me publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    Please start a you tube channel or podcast or something! You already have a few episodes just in the last few posts.
    -The bat shit crazy morning BJ doctor chick
    -The guy who ODed on CBD and watched the Hallmark channel
    -The 20 year roommate relationship

"Remodels, weed and dating. With fast Fred"
    "The realworld: breck"
    "Bat shit crazy BJ s"
    Appreciate the love. I was an actor in a life before I stalled out in breckenridge. I'm actually pretty conservative on tgr. In real life I'm a bigot and sexist and don't hold it in.

I did just text the nut job to see if she wanted to get together and watch dazed and confused. I just can't deal when she starts crying because I don't want any more for our on again off again to year thing.

Dazed and confused with a woman? There's playoff hockey on bro.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Appreciate the love. I was an actor in a life before I stalled out in breckenridge. I'm actually pretty conservative on tgr. In real life I'm a bigot and sexist and don't hold it in.

I did just text the nut job to see if she wanted to get together and watch dazed and confused. I just can't deal when she starts crying because I don't want any more for our on again off again to year thing.
    That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but I've been thinking a lot about it recently- what the hell is the point of marriage for the average or above average guy in today's society?

I avoided a massive shit show by not being married to my ex. I kept my house, my truck, my 401k, my dog, my IRA, my cash, etc. Had I been married I would have been writing her a check for hundreds of thousands of dollars and she would be entitled to alimony. I have yet to hear a coherent argument for why someone deserves alimony, especially if there are no kids in the mix. Also, I'm lucky I live in a state where common law marriage isn't a thing.

I'm 33. My net worth is about half a million dollars. I make $180k per year not including my deferred comp retention plan. Why would I willingly sign a piece of paper guaranteeing half of my future earnings and half of the increase in my assets going forward to another person unless said person had a comparable net worth and income?

Marriage is such a shit deal, I don't understand it at all.

if it works for you

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.
    holy shit rise was funny!

IMO, you get married so you don't raise a bunch of bastards. If kids are not in the picture then there is NFW I would get married. Just me looking back on 40 years of adult life.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by throwitaway9876 View Post
    I'm 33. My net worth is about half a million dollars. I make $180k per year not including my deferred comp retention plan.
    You like to suck dick? I'll fuckin' marry you.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I'm 33. My net worth is about half a million dollars. I make $180k per year not including my deferred comp retention plan.
    I was off by a year, oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Are we starting a pool on when MBG ends up preggers? Or when both the ex GF AND MBG get knocked up? Because that's where this is headed. Popcorn please. He is so going to sleep with the ex before this is through. Subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Are we starting a pool on when MBG ends up preggers? Or when both the ex GF AND MBG get knocked up? Because that's where this is headed. Popcorn please. He is so going to sleep with the ex before this is through. Subscribed.
    Don't worry he pulls out

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but I've been thinking a lot about it recently- what the hell is the point of marriage for the average or above average guy in today's society?

I avoided a massive shit show by not being married to my ex. I kept my house, my truck, my 401k, my dog, my IRA, my cash, etc. Had I been married I would have been writing her a check for hundreds of thousands of dollars and she would be entitled to alimony. I have yet to hear a coherent argument for why someone deserves alimony, especially if there are no kids in the mix. Also, I'm lucky I live in a state where common law marriage isn't a thing.

I'm 33. My net worth is about half a million dollars. I make $180k per year not including my deferred comp retention plan. Why would I willingly sign a piece of paper guaranteeing half of my future earnings and half of the increase in my assets going forward to another person unless said person had a comparable net worth and income?

Marriage is such a shit deal, I don't understand it at all.
    In my jurisdiction if you were in a “marriage like” relationship for a specific period of time- you are treated the same on division of assets on the break down of the relationship.

Here she would have a year I think to make the claim. If it is the same there - may want to keep your distance but be nice.

Also, check to see what the laws are there- the
    more you know eh!

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    In my jurisdiction if you were in a “marriage like” relationship for a specific period of time- you are treated the same on division of assets on the break down of the relationship.

Here she would have a year I think to make the claim. If it is the same there - may want to keep your distance but be nice.

more you know eh!
    There are not many common law states in the USA. And Colorado is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    There are not many common law states in the USA. And Colorado is one of them.
    Colorado does have common law marriage, that's true. But you can't get bamboozled into being common law married, the requirements are:

1) both parties are available to be married (ie not married to someone else, mentally competent, not a minor, etc)
    2) both parties consider themselves married
    3) both parties hold themselves out to the community as married

No amount of living together will meet these criteria without lots of other evidence demonstrating the marriage relationship. If one party always uses "girlfriend" and never calls her "wife" and all the friends view them as bf/gf, even if a fully committed couple, there will be no marriage found. The only circumstance I have seen where living together as a fully committed couple has been a big part of the marriage question is where one person dies and the other is trying to prove to Social Security that s/he was a common law spouse.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Cuz survival of the species is everybody's business

but seriously ex what ?

Did you own any fee simple property together or was it a modern Marriage where each party made lots of money and kept things seperate, what were the financial arrangements, did you have joint acounts, was it your house your car her car her house or wtf ?

I had a buddy who contested (and won) in a 9 yr common law marriage with no kids based on the concept of the "modern marriage" buddy was a shrewd lawyer who paid for AND documented everything he spent in those 9 yrs from a 10 acre hobbyfarm to a pack of gum, she was also a professional who pissed away all her money, the judge found in favor of the modern marriage BUT it took 2 yrs and they each spent 100K+ in court costs

this was pre 97 BC law, it may have changed since, so like counselor said ... check your local laws
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

As long as you keep her in the basement you should be ok. Don't let her move upstairs.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Cuz survival of the species is everybody's business

but seriously ex what ?

Did you own any fee simple property together or was it a modern Marriage where each party made lots of money and kept things seperate, what were the financial arrangements, did you have joint acounts, was it your house your car her car her house or wtf ?

I had a buddy who contested (and won) in a 9 yr common law marriage with no kids based on the concept of the "modern marriage" buddy was a shrewd lawyer who paid for AND documented everything he spent in those 9 yrs from a 10 acre hobbyfarm to a pack of gum, she was also a professional who pissed away all her money, the judge found in favor of the modern marriage BUT it took 2 yrs and they each spent 100K+ in court costs

this was pre 97 BC law, it may have changed since, so like counselor said ... check your local laws
    Yep, everything was separate. We didn't have a single account together. I owned the house, my truck, etc in my name only. She owned her car. We both make decent money. I think the split without the government getting involved was equitable. I keep what I worked for. She keeps what she worked for.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post

more you know eh!
    Luckily I live in CO where that's not a concern. We never represented that we were married. Like Danno covered, our relationship would not meet the test for a common law marriage in my state.

Good news about CO- no common law marriage. Bad news about CO- ridiculous amounts of alimony for anyone who is married and gets divorced. Also, CO has lifetime alimony after 20 years.

Not only is the lower earning spouse financially incentivized to break up a marriage, but if they wait it out they get a monthly paycheck for life.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I was off by a year, oops.
    Yeah, but I'm not from the midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Only if you have more earning potential and assets than I do. Then I can divorce you and take "my half".

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    IMO, you get married so you don't raise a bunch of bastards. If kids are not in the picture then there is NFW I would get married. Just me looking back on 40 years of adult life.
    Yeah, I guess so. Still seems like from a legal standpoint it would be better to have kids, live together and not be married. If things fall apart, you're only on the hook for child support and don't have to pay alimony or have your assets taken away.

<snip>
    Yeah, I guess so. Still seems like from a legal standpoint it would be better to have kids, live together and not be married. If things fall apart, you're only on the hook for child support and don't have to pay alimony or have your assets taken away.
    I suppose if you don't give a shit about the kids. Because there is almost NO way that you'll get any reasonable settlement WRT custody if you're not married.

And by "you" I don't mean YOU, since you don't have any kids.

[QUOTE=throwitaway9876;5655402]Yep, everything was separate. We didn't have a single account together. I owned the house, my truck, etc in my name only. She owned her car. We both make decent money. I think the split without the government getting involved was equitable. I keep what I worked for. She keeps what she worked for.
    .QUOTE]

back in the day Buddy told me any kids would have been the end of the common law modern marriage becuz it would then be under the family relations act

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle9847452/

but according to this^^ if you live together for 2 years you are good as married, the exception is " Excluded property " but its just in BC

an interesting point was that now a parent denying acess could be fined up to 5000$ by the courts

so the law is different everywhere and the law changes

CL marriage in CO gets tricky and $$ fast because it can be so fact intensive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    buddy was a shrewd lawyer
    it took 2 yrs and they each spent 100K+ in court costs

Doesn't sound too shrewd.

some shrews are venomous

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Go on..

Lol

(Edit: Hmm pnw felt similarly)
    (smugly) Guilty as charged.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Doesn't sound too shrewd.
    well all their friends sided with her, they all told her she was entitlled to half his stuff which is how these things often go

He said not so, calculated that he could either give her half his networth or go to court which would be several times cheaper if he won, since he did win it ONLY net cost him 100K (he could afford it ) I heard she filed for bankruptcy (she couldn't afford it) , shrewd would have been for her is to negotiate a cash settlement to begin with instead of them both spending it all on lawyers BUT she wanted her day in court