Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Texting addicts

Texting addicts

If whatever we're trying to discuss is going to take more than about 5 back and forth messages by text, I'm just not going to deal with it. Figure out a time when you're actually willing to speak on the phone, or send me an email. I'm not a 12 year old girl and I'm not going to respond to endless texts. If I call you and you don't answer, call me back or GTFO. Fuck.

I know, first world problems, sweet story bro, etc. But what is with some people these days? A single, short call could take care of what you want to do in 20 different messages. Idiotic.

And another thing, if I give you a call I'm probably not looking for no answer and a text response. When you text me I don't respond with a call, don't respond to my call with a text (unless it's to say you're in a meeting or whatever and we'll talk later).
    [quote][//quote]

Text-
    Me: meet at brewery at 6pm.
    Friend: which one?
    Me: pick one.
    Friend: Rogue.
    Me. Done

Waaay more efficient than waiting for him to answer, exchanging greetings, bullshit small talk, making plans, finalizing plans, more stupid small talk, goodbye.

Calls are only more efficient if the person you're calling doesn't waste time with bullshit chatter.

I'm with you, text is great for shit like 'running 10min late' , I'm in the north end of the parking lot, etc. but I fucking
    hate it when someone wants to plan out a week long trip, etc. over text.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Text-
    Me: meet at brewery at 6pm.
    Friend: which one?
    Me: pick one.
    Friend: Rogue.
    Me. Done

Waaay more efficient than waiting for him to answer, exchanging greetings, bullshit small talk, making plans, finalizing plans, more stupid small talk, goodbye.

Calls are only more efficient if the person you're calling doesn't waste time with bullshit chatter.
    Yeah, obviously depends on the person and what you're doing at the time if it's more efficient (say I'm driving or on the sidewalk holding something, for example)--the equivalent of that call could be 30 seconds (same dialogue, essentially).

But what I'm talking about is:

-I have a problem with .... what should I do?
    -You'll have to be more specific.
    -Well, these three people all want A, but we were told to do B.
    -OK, who's right?
    -Don't know, because C also asked if we could do this.
    -Fuck if I know because you still haven't told me enough, can you call me?
    -Sure, but what do you think about...

And it goes on, and on. That's where I now generally call them and if I don't speak with them then fuck it--let them figure it out or contact me in a reasonable way.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    I'm with you, text is great for shit like 'running 10min late' , I'm in the north end of the parking lot, etc. but I fucking
    hate it when someone wants to plan out a week long trip, etc. over text.
    Exactly. It's like people have forgotten that for certain things (when you need real coordination and a lot of back and forth is possible/inevitable), it's just way better to call. They just can't figure that out because they're so used to endless texts. And if I'm going to have to respond with several paragraphs, at least do it by email so I can really type.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    If whatever we're trying to discuss is going to take more than about 5 back and forth messages by text, I'm just not going to deal with it. Figure out a time when you're actually willing to speak on the phone, or send me an email. I'm not a 12 year old girl and I'm not going to respond to endless texts. If I call you and you don't answer, call me back or GTFO. Fuck.

I know, first world problems, sweet story bro, etc. But what is with some people these days? A single, short call could take care of what you want to do in 20 different messages. Idiotic.

And another thing, if I give you a call I'm probably not looking for no answer and a text response. When you text me I don't respond with a call, don't respond to my call with a text (unless it's to say you're in a meeting or whatever and we'll talk later).
    just turn off texting for your phone, problem solved.

I did over a year ago.

I maintain that you can call me and leave whatever message faster in a phone call than a text.

those that wont contact me for whatever they think I might enjoy joining them because they cant text me is no loss to me.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

How the fuck else are you supposed to send gash pics back and forth between your bros?

Sent from the other side
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Leaving me a voicemail asking me to call you back is even more annoying.

Blogging on a forum about hating text messaging......

Only on TGR folks.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post

A-fucking-men. Definitely on my list of top 10 peeves.

What?

Even if I need you to call me back
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Exactly.

My mom finally got a smartphone. She still leaves a voicemail. She gave me some story about texting interrupting me at work and how would my employer like that. Meanwhile I have to walk to somewhere quiet to listen to a voicemail that isn't an emergency like what are our dinner plans. She's getting better but still.

It's the homotextuals that suck, unable to reach out enough to make a commitment via voice.

As long as it's heterotextual, mixing up those phonecalls, voicemails, texts, tweets, pings and smokesignals, it's all good.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^^This is the worst.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

It's cause no one can remember their fucking name anymore without being able to find it on an old text or e-mail. It helps me weed out the stupid ones.

You clowns need to pony up for visual voicemail. Revolutionary. But yeh, VM for the most part are inconvenient. Txt/Email is great for information, phone call or face to face is great for communication.

I still remember a conversation I had with a coworker a few years ago. He was telling me how awesome text to speech capability was and my response was "can't you just call them?"

Interesting thread.
    Obviously "that time of the month". I know I know....mysogynistic.
    DNC: The party of gays, gungrabbers, wets, welfare queens, babykillers and ambulance chasers.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.

Actual discussions, making plans where there might be some back and forth about who/what/where/when, or dense information exchanges are far more efficiently handled by in-person conversation. Texts shouldn't be more than 15 - 20 words long and there shouldn't be more than a few of them. If it takes more than that, just talk in person, the issue will get resolved much quicker.

I'm old and I like texting. Pretty much because I don't like talking to people, especially on the phone. I guess I'm a misanthrope.

But yeah, there's a limit to the extent of an exchange, right around three.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    You clowns need to pony up for visual voicemail. Revolutionary. But yeh, VM for the most part are inconvenient. Txt/Email is great for information, phone call or face to face is great for communication.
    My office system translates voicemail into text and emails it to me. The translations are hilarious. Useless and hilarious.

Dexter actually is a 12 yo girl.

Texting's perfect for some uses and email for most others. I hardy ever call anyone if I can help it. Visual voicemail is a very good way to ignore people while still being able to make sure they weren't calling to give you a million dollars or warn you that your house is on fire.

My mother loves to text me a question, then after I answer, she texts back "can you call me?"

Fuck, what part of "dinner is at 6" didn't she understand?
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Texting addicts

Just set up a fishing trip in a few short texts. Man on man texting. We'll coordinate which jeans to wear later in the week.

PM me your email address and I'll email you to get your phone number and I'll text it to you.