Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Dead and Company.

Peruvian may be on to something?...

Or maybe just on something?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Funny that there are 3 of us in this thread who all quit in 90. I got really tired of the scene, of all the people who were spare changing yet feeling like they were enlightened.
    Yea, for me and the wife it was after Pig died. Had to stop touring for a while after that.
    That said, I know heads who considered leaving the scene after they stopped using the name "Warlocks" and changed it to "Grateful Dead." Early days.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Last night I won a pair of tickets to Friday at Fenway. They're in the family no alcohol section, if someone wants them lemmeno. I'll pop them in the mail to you.
    Can you trip balls there? Is it all wharf rats and their grandkids??

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Live shows are great, but they don't come my way too often. You know where I live, MMP - It's not like the civic arena is just down the road, so when a national act comes within 20 minutes of me I'm all over it. I listen to live GD about 4-5 hours/week to make up it.

I'm glad to hear JM is starting to figure out a groove, but the live stuff I've heard on XM from the winter and spring D&Co shows still sounds like he has a long way to go to mature into a sound that I want to hear from the 'Dead'.
    Whatever. 20 minutes? Pfffft. Mature sound. Get a grip.

Dead and Company.

Dead duel.

To the death.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Tele off. Who can judge soul?

I would have given you the soul nod, MMP, but now that you're on NTN it's an even battle!

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Can you trip balls there? Is it all wharf rats and their grandkids??
    Each ticket came with a mouth guard so I think you're supposed to roll on Molly in there

amazes me that "deadheads" haven't seen a single one of Phil's bands, Furthur, Ratdog, D&C....

good times, and a fantastic way to stay connected to old friends.

waiting for DSO instead? lol
    P&F, PhilRAD etc. are definitely worth it in my book and much more interesting to me than D&C. The early Dead/Furthur shows I went to were very good but more recent versions seemed somewhat stale to me, maybe just off nights. I haven't seen Ratdog in 8-9yrs or so but would probably go if they played nearby. For me D&C and JM in particular, just don't peak my interest enough to go out of my way (Boston) for a show at this point, but I definitely will keep the door open.

I listen to a ton of GD weekly (among others) in the background while working or kicking around the house and definitely gravitate to Brent's era, mainly because that's when I saw the vast majority of my shows. Fwiw though, those who completely dismiss the early post Brent Hornsby stuff, you are missing some very good shows/moments in them. It definitely was hit or miss at times during the period but the addition of Bruce energized and challenged the band, especially Jerry, musically to go outside their comfort zone. Check out some of the rotating pre-drums/space 3 man jams that became a regular thing and the instrumental dueling in the middle of many songs (Althea, TN Jed, even some of the cowboy tunes) between Garcia and Bruce, some incredible playing that had the whole band truly on their toes and listening to each other intently.

Have a safe holiday weekend all!

Wasserman died. Bummer.

Dead and Company.

Wasserman died. Bummer.
    Tough loss. He was great fun to watch and listen too.

I'm with you FD! There were some really good moments, nights and runs post Brent. I saw a lot of post Brent shows. There were some tough times for sure but once in a while.....
    Last edited by schwerty; 07-01-2016 at 01:25 PM.

So I've made a point to listen to a bunch of recent Dead and Co shows and I'm still just not that into it. I couldn't finish the Bonnaroo show I was listening to yesterday on the road. A few great riffs here and there, but mostly so so. Just seems sorta slow and clunky to me. Transitions aren't fluid, they seem forced to me. I'm really not into John Mayer. Not worth my time and money.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Trying to recapture/ relive the past is virtually imposossible. The Dead have such a legacy it's hard not to constantly be comparing what is to what once was, but that's not gonna help. The Dead ain't The Dead anymore, The Who haven't been The Who for ever, The Stones, Waters and Gilmour, Neil, I'm sure there are lots of newer bands that have changed out a player and people will always say "it's not the same man". Heck, you aren't even you anymore.

I've been to plenty of shows where I thought it was great and then I'll run in to someone that was there and they thought it was just ok or even sucked (and vice versa). Who's right?

Gotta keep your ears open to the good stuff. Sometimes it does, but different doesn't always have to suck.

Now, Get Off My Lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    So I've made a point to listen to a bunch of recent Dead and Co shows and I'm still just not that into it. I couldn't finish the Bonnaroo show I was listening to yesterday on the road. A few great riffs here and there, but mostly so so. Just seems sorta slow and clunky to me. Transitions aren't fluid, they seem forced to me. I'm really not into John Mayer. Not worth my time and money.
    Same. And I really want to like them.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Me too. But I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Last night I won a pair of tickets to Friday at Fenway. They're in the family no alcohol section, if someone wants them lemmeno. I'll pop them in the mail to you.
    We can use those. May I pay you for them?

Saw the JG symphonic experience tonight. Warren and the Boston Pops. Exceptional.

We can use those. May I pay you for them?
    Not necessary, I already had my tickets for Fenway. PM your address and I'll send 'em.

I'll be in the turf pit Friday.

Saw the JG symphonic experience tonight. Warren and the Boston Pops. Exceptional
    Wolf!

Dead and Company.

Saw the JG symphonic experience tonight. Warren and the Boston Pops. Exceptional.
    I saw this last year at Red Rocks from the 2nd row. Really a good time, one of my favorite concerts ever. The Colorado symphony loved the jams, big smiles on their faces.

Edit:
    I have the soundboards from the whole Dead and Company tour, PM if you want any shows.

Dead and Company.

Nice to see that guitar.

If you have recordings of that show I want them.

Listening to the Boulder stream on the ride home from Dylan last night: go for the drumming. Still incredible.

Listening to the Boulder stream on the ride home from Dylan last night: go for the drumming. Still incredible.
    Saw Dylan at red rocks last week--old man sounded very good. The anti-phone police were out in force and it was refreshing to experience a no phones crowd. Nice that he's taking a stand.
    Pleasantly surprised by Mayer and dead co last night. Really enjoyed it.

Dead and Company.

Bobs band is fantastic. Sonic elegance. Standards show. Bob showed swagger.

Agree about the Dead. Fun time and high quality (non Jerry) experience.