Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Alpine Boots? Or keep rocking Maestral RS?

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    My point is that I suck now, but expect to go PRO by late march. I have the innate ability to learn specific skills and apply them with the greatest of ease in a short amount of time. Therefore I need a boot that will facilitate my rise to fame in the skiing community.

Moving on to bindings, so far there is the Salomon Wardens and Marker Lord SP that will accommodate multiple boot soles. Are there any others that offer this versatility? Even if I do get a pair of alpine boots, it would be nice to be able to use either boot in the binding (if the BSL is similar).
    If you're not delusional, than CAST would enter the picture, but this of course predicates that you're thinking in terms of alpine boots and having the Dyna-fiddle conversion installed.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Warden and Lord are it. I think the Warden appears to be built a bit beefier than the Lord, but don't personally know anyone that skis with any degree of agro that has significant time on either.
    Or you get a frame touring binding (Guardian, Duke, Adrenalin) that accepts both. I've actually had good luck skiing Guardians inbounds, but dudes just a little heavier than me that ski similarly have been breaking toes pretty quickly. I don't think I'd recommend that route.

I don't see how CAST is in any way helpful here. The goal isn't to tour on the skis, it's just to fit different boot styles skiing downhill. CAST doesn't help with that.

Either get Lords or Wardens and try the Maestrales, or just go rad right away with FKS 18s and alpine boots.

Don't forget about driver toe sollys ala 916s. They can be made to work. There are several threads about this if interested.

But the release isn't as safe or consistent with AT boots as the new stuff, so don't compare apples to apples.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I don't see how CAST is in any way helpful here. The goal isn't to tour on the skis, it's just to fit different boot styles skiing downhill. CAST doesn't help with that.
    Good point! I lost track of that. I got sidetracked by the fact that he's using touring boots. There's something incongruent about the op's ultimate goals and staying in Maestrale RS's.

... I've actually had good luck skiing Guardians inbounds.
    Which of course the Warden is based on, so it sounds as if we have one more vote for giving the Warden a shot

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-27-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Maestrale RS in Warden -no go for me

My shop couldn't get the toe high enough on the Atomic Warden for either my Maestrale RS or my wife's Garment AT boots. Her boots have swappable soles, so she uses the Warden with the DIN sloes, I got a Tyrol Ambition binding(not probably recommended for the OP).

I know others have put the Maestrales in the Warden. Perhaps they ground the sole or perhaps they are less picky or more lucky with release testing.

Just some more info.

I ended up with the Wardens and keeping my Maestrales. Been working great for me all season. I have only crashed hard enough to cause a release once and they released as expected. Seem to be working quite well.

I thought you were going pro. You can't go pro on AT boots.

I thought you were going pro. You can't go pro on AT boots.
    It seems that I have encountered a roadblock. Apparently, it is hard to get spancered when you are almost 40 and work all the damn time. My skiing is improving as expected though.