Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: London Mags!!!!

There's some pretty good advice here...

London Mags!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Right, same can be said about Sahara or Gobi Desert.
    Must have missed the several international airports from those operating flights to places like Geneva, Zurich, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Lyon, Munich, Milan, Turin etc etc

PNWBrit has a point about Beckton Alp though
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

One of the things about London - worlds greatest flight schedule. Obviously it costs. But honestly, if you are not being paid good money it's the wrong place to be. If you are kid and dog free (yeah I know) it is totally doable to ski every weekend. Funds permitting. Leave work at 5pm and you can be drinking in Chamonix by midnight. Fly to GVA and grab a hire car. Another option is evening Eurostar train to Paris / good dinner / sleeper train to Le Fayet / cab to Chamonic sat 7am. As Arno says - tagging one or two days vacation on the weekend makes sense. Finding accommodation for weekends in peak season can be hard (places are booked sat to sat) so January and March are best options. I always take a pair of skis - avoids hire shop carnage when you want to be skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by jedster View Post
    One of the things about London - worlds greatest flight schedule. Obviously it costs. But honestly, if you are not being paid good money it's the wrong place to be. If you are kid and dog free (yeah I know) it is totally doable to ski every weekend. Funds permitting. Leave work at 5pm and you can be drinking in Chamonix by midnight. Fly to GVA and grab a hire car. Another option is evening Eurostar train to Paris / good dinner / sleeper train to Le Fayet / cab to Chamonic sat 7am. As Arno says - tagging one or two days vacation on the weekend makes sense. Finding accommodation for weekends in peak season can be hard (places are booked sat to sat) so January and March are best options. I always take a pair of skis - avoids hire shop carnage when you want to be skiing.
    I turned down a job offer in London earlier this year, for a well know us tech company that would pretty much double my Norwegian salary. Why? Because I was looking into this very situation. Skiing in the alps every weekend and living in London is theoretically possible, but it's a f.. chore and sucks. Bring your skis to the office on friday, you will probably have to leave early, then get your ass over to the airport on PACKED trains or drive there when traffic is absolutely horrendous. Depending on where in the city you work, I doub't you will make it to the airport in less than one hour, most likely quite a lot more. Then you are going to check in etc. So you are there at least one hour before your plane leaves.. Hurry up and wait. Then fly somewhere. Deal with luggage that may or may not be on the plane. Skis are notorious for not making it. I'd say it's almost as bad as a 50% chance. Then go and rent a car or jump on a train. If train, deal with cab when you get to your location or haul all your shit through town and pass out on the couch late at night. Repeat on sunday after stopping to ski early, because you have a train, plane etc to catch.

Is it doable? yeah, it is. But honestly, it f... sucks.

In summary

If you're moving from somewhere that was easy, close, convenient to good skiing then it's going to suck for skiing.

If you already live there you can make it work but it's less than easy, ideal, cheap, convenient.

There are many great reasons to move to London.

And many reasons not to.

The "ski scene" is most definitely the later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I turned down a job offer in London earlier this year, for a well know us tech company that would pretty much double my Norwegian salary. Why? Because I was looking into this very situation. Skiing in the alps every weekend and living in London is theoretically possible, but it's a f.. chore and sucks. Bring your skis to the office on friday, you will probably have to leave early, then get your ass over to the airport on PACKED trains or drive there when traffic is absolutely horrendous. Depending on where in the city you work, I doub't you will make it to the airport in less than one hour, most likely quite a lot more. Then you are going to check in etc. So you are there at least one hour before your plane leaves.. Hurry up and wait. Then fly somewhere. Deal with luggage that may or may not be on the plane. Skis are notorious for not making it. I'd say it's almost as bad as a 50% chance. Then go and rent a car or jump on a train. If train, deal with cab when you get to your location or haul all your shit through town and pass out on the couch late at night. Repeat on sunday after stopping to ski early, because you have a train, plane etc to catch.

Dude, ski the spaces, not the trees.
    Life is not lift served.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned court jester hats yet?

The backbone of upper middle class British weekend skiing on the continent.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned court jester hats yet?
    My people,,,,,

Plenty of Londoners do alps very weekend. Not rich… just committed. Weekend shares in places like Les Gets and Samoens. Easy shot from GVA airport and they buy air tix months in advance. Dudes I skied with ripped but went home with damaged livers very monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Plenty of Londoners do alps very weekend. Not rich… just committed. Weekend shares in places like Les Gets and Samoens. Easy shot from GVA airport and they buy air tix months in advance. Dudes I skied with ripped but went home with damaged livers very monday morning.
    This is the key. You do not want to drag crap back and forth. Just a change of clothes for Monday morning.

Look at places you can get to from LCY. Really, it means GVA, but that gives you a lot of options. Get out of work early Fridays. Better yet, get 3 day weekends. You get an hour back on the flight home, so Mondays aren't a problem.

Pro Baller tip: leave the dog in the mountains during ski season and have a little hottie look after it for you during the week.

Ok so you've never actually done a weekend from London but you have done some half assed research and made some assumptions.

It is a faff but 50% of skis go missing? Get real - never happened to me or any of my ski buddies on a flight out of London.

Brit has it right - if you like London for the other stuff you can make skiing work. If you don't really care about the other stuff and want easy access to skiing, it isn't the place
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    My people,,,,,

haha...
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    Ok so you've never actually done a weekend from London but you have done some half assed research and made some assumptions.

It is a faff but 50% of skis go missing? Get real - never happened to me or any of my ski buddies on a flight out of London.

Brit has it right - if you like London for the other stuff you can make skiing work. If you don't really care about the other stuff and want easy access to skiing, it isn't the place

Noone is disputing it can work. Just that it's quite some work.
    I have spent a significant amount of time in London for work over numerous years and have significant experience traveling in and out of the city. (and why the FUCK are there so few direct flights to City airport, huge bummer) More then I care to remember. Also traveled trough London with and without enough times that I lost track of it years ago. I guess you and your buddy are lucky, because me and my friends keep getting shorted on ski luggage all over the world on frequent basis.

Noone is disputing it can work. Just that it's quite some work.
    I have spent a significant amount of time in London for work over numerous years and have significant experience traveling in and out of the city. (and why the FUCK are there so few direct flights to City airport, huge bummer) More then I care to remember. Also traveled trough London with and without enough times that I lost track of it years ago. I guess you and your buddy are lucky, because me and my friends keep getting shorted on ski luggage all over the world on frequent basis.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales

Driving from london to ski in Scotland is an 8 hour drive. Verbier is a 10 hour drive. I have not made it up North. I have gone to the dry slope in Bracknell. It is like being on wet, heavy, grabby snow, with the balance of east coast ice. One more year until I move off this island.

At this point, you can understand why the pilgrims thought Massachusetts was a nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by sharcsplean View Post
    the pilgrims thought Massachusetts was a nice place.
    They probably thought the skiing there was a bit bland though.

, because me and my friends keep getting shorted on ski luggage all over the world on frequent basis.
    Maybe it's your attitude?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Thats what your wife said.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Unpossible.
    fify

Thats what your wife said.
    Sorry you couldn't get it up for her. Dicknuckle.

Sorry you couldn't get it up for her.
    Yeah, that hasn't happened before.... or after..

Yeah, that hasn't happened before.... or after..
    Sure, sure.
    Anyway, your attitude is evident.

Sure, sure.
    Anyway, your attitude is evident.