Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 110 of 110
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washoe Valley
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by alexstrong View Post
    I had seen some of your posts and a few other people on other sites, about the TTS + light AT boots, and when I found a pair of Proclines for 75% off I thought I would give it a try. I will try out the free heel AT before customizing the TTS. Thanks for the responses
    Free heel downhill takes practice as your feet need to be pinned to the skis with no leverage from shins to boots. But it is a skill you really need with tech bindings to deal with rolling terrain.......

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    7
    Quadzilla,
    That was my interest in the TTS, to get a little extra leverage.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Free heel downhill takes practice as your feet need to be pinned to the skis with no leverage from shins to boots.
    It's second nature for an experienced XC skier in a Nordic State of Mind. Works fine for low angle once you get it.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregón
    Posts
    7,493
    Timely thread bump!

    I don’t have much experience - got a used Rossi BC 125 setup last winter, mounted with Voile Hardwires and driving with Alico Guide leather boots (no ankle strap on these). But I had a concussion and shoulder surgery last winter so I only took them out twice, pins only, never tried with cartridge cable. I suspect at some point I’ll need a more appropriate boot setup for days I want to make more than a couple turns - my ankles were damn sore just trying them out on local fire roads!

    Just got my wife brand new Rossi BC 100’s, brand new Voile Traverse binders (3 pin cable with half height riser compared to the Hardwires), and she has the same boots as me. That setup seems pretty well balanced for the rolling terrain we have up at Santiam and Willamette Passes.

    I’m looking forward to winter tromping with these things!
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    It's second nature for an experienced XC skier in a Nordic State of Mind. Works fine for low angle once you get it.
    x2. Especially when you think of doing short downhill/flat while floundering around with skins on. It's just a matter of staying balanced and not leaning on your boots (though I still find myself on my ass from time to time...)

    Trimmed down my setup to Hypervector BC/Plum 170/Alien RS last year, and am super, super happy with it. Cruising 15-20 miles into the Winds or across miles of flat valleys in Yellowstone is pretty darn pleasant with a setup that tours like xc and can ski whatever. Still use "regular" skis about half the time I go out, but the scaly skis sure fill a niche.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522
    I’ve had a pair of Guides with Switchbacks for about 11 years, and have wanted to upgrade to a Voile AT setup for a while now. This is the year, so hopefully La Niña pans out. I’m going with the 183 Hyper V6 BC with Zed 12 bindings. Maestrale boots. Fiancé is doing something similar with BC100s, Zed 9s and Geas.

    Everything is sitting in the shop waiting for their G3 shipment. With studded fatbike tires, we should be able to play just about any day regardless of conditions.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washoe Valley
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I’ve had a pair of Guides with Switchbacks for about 11 years, and have wanted to upgrade to a Voile AT setup for a while now. This is the year, so hopefully La Niña pans out. I’m going with the 183 Hyper V6 BC with Zed 12 bindings. Maestrale boots. Fiancé is doing something similar with BC100s, Zed 9s and Geas.

    Everything is sitting in the shop waiting for their G3 shipment. With studded fatbike tires, we should be able to play just about any day regardless of conditions.
    I think I have posted on this topic before as I am a fishscale skier. I think the package you are putting together for yourself is going to amaze you on how well it will climb the up and ski the down. Of course you will need skins for any worthy climb. I have a similar setup with Hyper Vectors/Radicals and Maestrales. WTBS, I really think your GF can do better than Rossi BC100's but the rest of her package sounds great. Regardless, she will need skins too. IMO

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,514
    if y'all were going to mount a Voile V6BC with a G3 Targa for a Crispi CXT boot to use on snow survey tours that are mostly meadow skipping and rolling terrain for a couple hours to a week, would you mount them old school pins on ski center or boot center at ski center or maybe split the difference?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I think I have posted on this topic before as I am a fishscale skier. I think the package you are putting together for yourself is going to amaze you on how well it will climb the up and ski the down. Of course you will need skins for any worthy climb. I have a similar setup with Hyper Vectors/Radicals and Maestrales. WTBS, I really think your GF can do better than Rossi BC100's but the rest of her package sounds great. Regardless, she will need skins too. IMO
    Re: her BC100s- no argument there. We’re kind of approaching similar points from different directions. She’s more interested in having a very stable platform for touring since she has a non-union clavicle break and has trouble with her basic metal edged touring setup. With floppy boots and thin touring skis that are fairly tall relative to their waist, she ends up over relying on her poles for stability and it blows her arm up. We’re basically solving her issue with the nuclear option and setting her up to try a different style of skiing. If she develops a taste for backcountry turns, we can upgrade her skis.

    We do have skins, too. G3 finally shipped, so we’ll pick everything up tomorrow.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,514
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1605942326.253306.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	349068

    Voile recommended boot center at ski center
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •