Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Idaho Aflame

Idaho Aflame

And this time it's not about Larry "I have never been gay" Craig--or even the other flaming sacks we've elected.

It seems like there's smoke blowing from all directions, at least up here in the north. Can anybody recommend good riding (in fresh air) within a few hours of the panhandle? I was hoping for Stanley but that's a few hours too far for the time I have.

What's not burning (yet)?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Doesn't look like it:

http://airquality.deq.idaho.gov/
    http://svc.mt.gov/deq/todaysair/
    https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/enviwa/

Well actually spokane is showing green

I spent all day watching our chart creep up. We still did our evening ride, went east where things seemed a little better. I noticed it smelled worse when we got back into town. Probably going to skip tomorrow's mtb ride. Think this weekend things are supposed to improve slightly which is good because some friends have a big ride planned.

Also here is satellite imagery:
    https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov...97016403552166

one more handy fire link; a map of where they all are:
    http://www.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInf...d3b7f75162b3f4

Try canada? looks pretty clear
    Last edited by jamal; 08-19-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Idaho Aflame

I don't know where those sensors are located, but they are probably malfunctioning. Spokane is far from "green". The smoke in town this afternoon was as bad as I've seen it since Firestorm 1993. Looking to the north it was even worse.

RIP to those firefighters in Twisp. It's fucking crazy right now.

I was guessing those sensors were hiding by the river maybe? Quite a mix right around Spokane. The last week up here has been like watching clouds in Seattle: don't like the smoke? Wait five minutes. But pretty sucky riding windows.

Thanks for the links, Jamal. Aside from the deep depression that sat image induced, those were about perfect.

Confirmed that Stanley is the same smokey air as most places in ID right now.

Yeah, Stanley not looking so good: http://www.sawtoothcamera.com/fullsize.html
    Was planning a trip there this weekend until the White Cloud debacle and the smoke kinda seems like a condiment on that shit sandwich. I'm in Bozeman and it is bad this morning; was good yesterday morning and got progressively worse all day. Got a 4 day weekend to ride and am hoping the incoming system forecast flushes things out a bit. Been lucky with good air quality all summer until this week here.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Don't bother coming to North Idaho; we are making a bet to head to Rossland, 2 days of N winds may keep the smoke at bay..... Maybe. Also, in addition to Long Canyon shut down to bikes due to proposed wilderness, it is also on fire.

Thanks for updates guys. Please keep them coming. Thinking of heading down to the Stanley/Sun Valley area next week.

Commercial flights couldn't land at Hailey due to poor vis this afternoon.

Those dang fires in idaho are even hazing out my view of the teets
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1440102347.121331.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	168978
    skid luxury

Newest satellite pass:

http://1.usa.gov/1E8cvRy

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Newest satellite pass:

http://1.usa.gov/1E8cvRy
    This might explain the ash storm in Sandpoint; I don't think we got this much powder in all of January.

I was going to head to Stanley this weekend, but it looks like that area could be sub=par due to smoke. Bozeman would be my #1 alternate, but looks to be much worse. For those living in places I could divert to like SLC, western slopes of CO (Crusted Butt etc.) or anywhere else with good backcountry type riding what are your smoke conditions like? I hope to leave SD tomorrow 2pm, convince me I should change course!

There is some wind and weather forecast for tomorrow that could clear things up for a day or two. I'm planning to get a big ride in sat so hopefully that actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I was going to head to Stanley this weekend, but it looks like that area could be sub=par due to smoke. Bozeman would be my #1 alternate, but looks to be much worse. For those living in places I could divert to like SLC, western slopes of CO (Crusted Butt etc.) or anywhere else with good backcountry type riding what are your smoke conditions like? I hope to leave SD tomorrow 2pm, convince me I should change course!
    SLC is bad for smoke right now, but I'm sure Idaho/Montana is worse than us.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Western slope has been getting smokier through the week but forecast calls for a shifting wind to clear the smoke out this afternoon and tonight. I was barely able to make out Mt Sopris from Glenwood yesterday but hopefully tomorrow dawns without any smoke or haze if the forecast is to be trusted.

Working in the silver valley today. Pretty smokey, smells worse than the visibility would suggest. Headed up the CDA River in a bit. Should be interesting.

Woot woot! Raining in Sandpoint...with lightning, unfortunately, but if everything is already burning maybe that's a good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    There is some wind and weather forecast for tomorrow that could clear things up for a day or two. I'm planning to get a big ride in sat so hopefully that actually happens.
    Res Divide trail day, but this is ridiculous.
    The weather report says "Areas of Smoke" for most days, but "patchy smoke" for tomorrow. WTF does that mean?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Ash falling from the sky and incredibly thick smoke in Spokane right now.

Res Divide trail day, but this is ridiculous.
    The weather report says "Areas of Smoke" for most days, but "patchy smoke" for tomorrow. WTF does that mean?
    I assume areas of smoke means "it's going to be windy and some things will clear out but we don't know exactly."

Saw that thing about the trail day, didn't even realize those were there. I mean, I guess I knew there were hiking trails but have never heard of biking on them. Bjorn from big sky and the cycling house hosted a ride/race out at his place on six mile earlier this year but it was all on forest roads. Still a cool loop, but sort of cross bike appropriate.

We're going to try to ride sheep + mineral if the smoke is reasonable in the morning.

I took a few pictures today when I was out for lunch:

It was actually clearing up at the time.

You've been riding in this? Wow. I have a hard time leaving anything air conditioned. My eyes!
    I too have not heard of riding there. Maybe the hiking trails are being turned into riding trails?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    SLC is bad for smoke right now, but I'm sure Idaho/Montana is worse than us.
    Even up around PC isn't great. If I can't get out early I'm actually contemplating wearing my respirator on a ride. We need rain badly to clear the air. Or wind from the east, ha.

From a fone
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I'm currently at about 8,000 ft in the mountains above Cascade, ID at it was blue skies all day but the valleys below look pretty thick. Some friends in Stanley said it was fairly clear. Might all be perspective coming out of the smoke down low though.