Page 56 of 92 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2284

Thread: Wagon Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I daily drive a 4Runner, and would not consider towing anything heavier than a single snowmobile on an open trailer behind it. It has mediocre brakes, soft suspension, is underpowered when empty, needs a re-gear to 4.30's from the factory, and has a short wheelbase. Not a vehicle for towing in any way, shape or form. I would rather tow with the Outback I owned previously.
    I've towed my 3500 lb boat with both our aging 03 4r and 02 Outback which towed okay until the hitch rusted to the point I don't trust it. 4R does fine...way better than the Outback especially stopping. I do not live in the mountains which helps and I don't tow my boat cross country since the river is 5 minutes away and the lake 30 but for occasional towing in said areas am sure it would suffice for people not needing to drive at the limits 100 percent of the time. Ymmv. Some people tow tiny little boats with HD diesels and they probably still feel they need something bigger especially if they need to go 80 mph into a wind uphill.

Also my old man has a Sienna from 08 3500 lb. He tows a 650 hp triple rig all over the midwest with it and has since it was new. He also tows a 16 ft Scamp with no issues. He slows down or shifts down if he has to push into a headwind to keep the tranny locked up. He borrows the 4R to pull it to ramps that are sketchy.

I daily drive a 4Runner, and would not consider towing anything heavier than a single snowmobile on an open trailer behind it. It has mediocre brakes, soft suspension, is underpowered when empty, needs a re-gear to 4.30's from the factory, gets knocked all over the road when it's windy and has a short wheelbase. Not a vehicle for towing in any way, shape or form. I would rather tow with the Outback I owned previously.
    The different generations of 4Runner are going to be wildly different in towing ability. First gen? No way. 4th generation V8? Hell yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

True, mine is a 5th Gen with the 4.0 V6. The gearing is too tall for the powerband. If you tow with it at all, I imagine you'll be in fifth gear for about two out of every hundred miles you drive. I've driven into stout headwinds with the vehicle unloaded (me and skis in it) where it can't stay in fifth on flat pavement and maintain speed. I love it, but it is slow and ill suited to towing or being loaded with more than 500-600 pounds of gear. My experience after driving one for a year and a half as a DD.
    Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The different generations of 4Runner are going to be wildly different in towing ability. First gen? No way. 4th generation V8? Hell yes.
    The 4.0 might be underpowered in the mountains towing. Shrug. Semi's go through the mountains every day with sub 400 hp engines. Slow down, gear down.

Also our 03 is a sport which came with bigger brakes than the SR5 335 mm vs 315 mm. More than enough stopping power.

If someone has a gen 5 they thinks sucks at towing I'll take it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

True, mine is a 5th Gen with the 4.0 V6. The gearing is too tall for the powerband. If you tow with it at all, I imagine you'll be in fifth gear for about two out of every hundred miles you drive. I've driven into stout headwinds with the vehicle unloaded (me and skis in it) where it can't stay in fifth on flat pavement and maintain speed. I love it, but it is slow and ill suited to towing or being loaded with more than 500-600 pounds of gear. My experience after driving one for a year and a half as a DD.
    Those gears are there for you to use though right? Just forget about 5th gear when towing unless you want to coast it out down a hill then it is okay to throw it up there as long as you remember to drop it down again for the next pull. Ours is the old 4 speed and I have to shift to 3rd all the time to keep it locked up when towing. Not a big deal to me. Third gear on our truck is actually a perfect ratio for towing and it stays locked up really well in 3 and I can cruise at 70 no problem if I want but I usually just go 65.

Chevy had (has?) a switchable tow haul mode. It basically locked out overdrive as its primary function. Most trucks are not designed to tow a load up near their rated capacity in top gear. Towing a single snowmobile sure. Trying to tow a heavy load in overdrive without manually shifting down every time the torque converter unlocks will burn up a transmission fast on any truck, car, suv with a slushbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Spotted this beast at a local car show last summer. Note the sweet ski racks.

Attachment 232550
    When I get an old wagon a Vista Cruiser is right at the top of my list. The Buick equivalent would be a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Doh! You're right. I was thinking of the Lexus LX470, which is the semi-dressed up version of the LAND CRUISER, which is also excellent. Still wouldn't want to daily it, but they are great vehicles.
    Great vehicles, however towing # drops significantly. Cant remember #ís exactly, but it is a big drop.
    "What moves men of genius, or rather what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."

-Eugene Delacroix

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleswede View Post
    Great vehicles, however towing # drops significantly. Cant remember #’s exactly, but it is a big drop.
    You're right! It's 6500 lbs on the Land Cruiser versus 5000 on the LX470. Supposedly might have something to do with the LX's air suspension. I've heard of people swapping out the LX's for the LC's setup when the air ride inevitably goes bust and that gets you back to 6500. Might be a couple more components at play though (like how the hitch is mounted?) so I'd still probably say "5000 lbs" to be on the safe side.

Still. Should have zero problem towing a little trailer. Then again, neither should many vehicles. I just always found the LX470 to be a bargain (used) compared to the many vastly overpriced used 4Runners/Tacos/Tundras out there. Never did understand why they seemed to depreciate more than their other Toyota brethren.

I love our lx470, it drives like a car on the road and still is land cruiser enough to go off road.

I believe that the recommended towing max varied between the model years for the 100-series land cruiser/LX. Probably the same for model years of other vehicles, too...(?)

Yup. Just confirmed on autotrader what I had always heard and seen. In my local area (just doing an apples to apples search so limited it to '05), LX470s range from 12-15K. LCs of the same year, 15-22K. Funny. I really don't get it. It's not exactly like modern Land Cruisers (in the United States at least) are bare bones with stripped down rugged interiors. They're kinda posh too from what I've seen.

You're right! It's 6500 lbs on the Land Cruiser versus 5000 on the LX470. Supposedly might have something to do with the LX's air suspension. I've heard of people swapping out the LX's for the LC's setup when the air ride inevitably goes bust and that gets you back to 6500. Might be a couple more components at play though (like how the hitch is mounted?) so I'd still probably say "5000 lbs" to be on the safe side.

Still. Should have zero problem towing a little trailer. Then again, neither should many vehicles. I just always found the LX470 to be a bargain (used) compared to the many vastly overpriced used 4Runners/Tacos/Tundras out there. Never did understand why they seemed to depreciate more than their other Toyota brethren.
    Not that the Toyota brand name is cheap to fix these days, but does the Lexus carry a repair premium due simply to its name branding? Example...subbie WRX and whatever that abomination Saab and Subbie did right before Saabs demise...ill bet that Saab came with a "saab repair price premium".
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Probably depends on the part and where it is purchased. A part specific to the LX may carry a premium but everything else is the same as the LC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Probably depends on the part and where it is purchased. A part specific to the LX may carry a premium but everything else is the same as the LC.
    So Lexus stealership rates are same as Toyota for shop work? Color me impressed.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    So Lexus stealership rates are same as Toyota for shop work? Color me impressed.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    He didn't say that. He said parts are interchangeable. Just like Audi/VW are

Labor rates are unique to each shop and not brand specific.

BushMills you fucker, where are you. I just can't buy a SUV and have a question on your wife's T6. Google search states it is good for up to 3300lbs in towing. How about if I chip the ECU to boost it from 300hp to 340hp? That is almost in the Jaquar/E400 power range and they can tow 4000lbs. Hell, a Ford Explorer with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost is about 350hp and is rated to 5000lbs with a beefy hitch. I think I can make the Volvo work and eventually trick it out to look something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volvo-xc70-at-concept.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	232744

Back to the Wagon stoke biatches!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Love me my T6.

I'm pretty sure increasing the power doesn't do anything for the tow rating. The suspension and brakes are still the limiting factors.

Yup. Just confirmed on autotrader what I had always heard and seen. In my local area (just doing an apples to apples search so limited it to '05), LX470s range from 12-15K. LCs of the same year, 15-22K. Funny. I really don't get it. It's not exactly like modern Land Cruisers (in the United States at least) are bare bones with stripped down rugged interiors. They're kinda posh too from what I've seen.
    I prefer the LC to the LX looks on the new ones. New LX looks like Kylo Ren.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Hating on SUV is pointless. I've got a true wagon, a CX-5 and now a Q5. The sporty cute utes feel no different than the wagon other than being slightly taller. They are easier to get in and out of. The steering is better and the suspension is more damp. My Q5 is even more planted in high speed corners than the wagon. Back when the wagon had coilovers it would handle better but it was hash. All I really lost with the cute ute was a little room in the boot. Seats still fold down so no big deal.

The hate only comes from the soccer mom stereotype I'm guessing. Soccer mom's drive trucks these days guys. Get over it already.
    We looked at a few 'Cute Utes" when replacing the JSW TDI, we found that most of these were more raised hatchbacks than raised wagons with the rear cargo area not being as long in the back especially when we were looking for the need to put skis in the back. For this reason we ended back with the Alltrack,
    Click. Point. Chute.

Yeah. The Golf Wagon has an in impressive cargo/footprint ratio. Unfortunately it's at the expense of rear seat room, but it's still perfectly usable for non giants.

We ended up with a Q5 TDI instead of an Allroad, because of the choice of engines.
    Taking her in today for the diesel emission flash. Hopefully she doesnít loose much mileage or performance.
    If so, Iíll just get her reflashed later, after we get the $9000 settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    We ended up with a Q5 TDI instead of an Allroad, because of the choice of engines.
    Taking her in today for the diesel emission flash. Hopefully she doesnít loose much mileage or performance.
    If so, Iíll just get her reflashed later, after we get the $9000 settlement.
    My appointment is tomorrow

Gonna get a Malone flash pretty much right after the fix. Transmission flash likely as well. Mileage shouldn't suffer much. Definitely more adblue usage I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I prefer the LC to the LX looks on the new ones. New LX looks like Kylo Ren.
    Oh gee. That new one is hideous. I definitely prefer the old models, that's for sure. Not sure why Lexus (and many Toyotas) are going so aggro with their styling these days. Kylo Ren. Hahaha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	1,021.6 KB 
ID:	232844
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda