Page 77 of 290 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 7247

Thread: Wagon Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Cars like small SUV got taller because your standard fat ass Americans can't get in/out of sport seats.

You probably didn't notice but the average American is a lard ass. Male and female.

Secondary, the parent population wants to be able to get their kid into the back seats easily.

Last, cars are appliances to the majority of people.

So yeah, make them bigger, easier, and with more comfortable gadgets. Now they are heavier and more expensive. Somehow they got faster, brake better, and have better fuel economy. Isn't that amazing?
    Don't forget the pile of driver aids, sensors and computers that make eating and texting while driving a breeze.

...which along with longer commute times brought the decline of the manual transmission...

I drove 600 miles in heavy snow in the Alltrack this past Saturday into Sunday. The last 300 or so miles the plows couldn't keep up or were not out. The Alltrack "lift" was helpful and I rallied home. I went by many stuck 2wd vehicles. I do notice the difference between this and my old Outback with a little Baja spring lift...that thing never ever hits bottom and seems unstoppable, plus a messed up driveway entrance was never an issue vs can be for the Alltrack as I found out in Salida. The Alltrack seems stoppable in deep snow but it handles infinitely better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just putting this here, probably should go in shit that annoys you.

Traction control. Who the fuck wants to come to a stop on a snowy hill because a wheel spun? I know I forgot to turn it off but for God’s sake man!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Traction control. Who the fuck wants to come to a stop on a snowy hill because a wheel spun? I know I forgot to turn it off but for God’s sake man!

I may be wrong, but it seems with this allroad stability control = selective braking and torque vectoring, traction control just sends power to wheels that aren’t spinning.

I really like that on the Audi I can turn stability control off (i.e. turn fun mode ON) with the press of a button while traction control stays on. With past cars I’ve owned (Toyota and GM), stability control could only be turned off AFTER traction control was off, and only at a full stop while holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds.

FWIW, I’ve driven up icy hills with stability control off and barely made it, whereas with stability control ON I motor up no problem. Something to be said for not letting my heavy foot spin the wheels.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    No kidding! I need to send this video to my knucklehead bro cousin-in-law of mine. Guy loves brodozers and muscle cars so we got to talking about his souped up drag oriented Camaro. I'm an LS guy so I told him how badly I wanted a CTS-V wagon for my next family car which he proceeded to laugh and was like "Why? Station wagons are ghey." I quickly responded saying "Say what you will, but at least it's not some lame crossover", nodding toward his wife's Hyundai Tucson or whatever it was that they showed up in. He was like "Ouch," and it was silent after that. Haha. Yeah, you go drive your wife's crossover. I'll happily drive my family around in a glorious sounding station wagon with a manual transmission, rear wheel drive, and can do warp 10 on demand.

Toyota's traction control is the worst and by that I mean the best. It sucks the fun out of their cars by being too good.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Shitty cars have shitty traction control systems, (nannies).
    My old Honda Odyssey which is a van version of the old Ridgeline, basically slams the brake on whichever wheel starts to spin and this stops any forward motion. It kinda works on a flat or curvy road at speed, but does not work well on a hill, and does not work at all on my snowy, curvy, not-real-steep driveway. I think it's kinda fun, (since I'm used to it), to plow my way up the driveway without the VCA button pushed, and guess where it will come to a standstill, then back all the way down, turn off the nannies and see where it spins out. This is with studded snows, I should add.

I don't even think about it with the BMW or the Golf. I actually see how slow I can go, not using any momentum at all. The new systems, at least Haldex, and whatever BMW uses are pretty amazing. Viscous coupling and a lot of the other bullshit crap on the market, not so much.

Also, my buddy had that CTS-V wagon, and sold it for the Tesla X. As he said about the Caddie, "It ain't subtle."

Also, this:
    The Alltrack seems stoppable in deep snow but it handles infinitely better.
    For Tahoe, we used to call it getting bermed in. I'd rather drive a nice car for 99% of my driving, then hop out of the car and shovel down a small path in a plow berm, than drive a POS following people on a pass etc. so I could, (maybe if it wasn't too high, which it always was), drive over a short berm.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    My divorce lawyer (who I know outside of that context, too) has one of those. He got annoyed with the 2 door Porsche or BMW he’d had before because he couldn’t drive his fun car if/when he had grandkids in tow.

I’m glad I could help make that happen for him.
    focus.

^^^ Bumping for quality post.

All I got out of that was:

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ...Viscous coupling....
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    All I got out of that was:
    What about plowing a berm?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    What about plowing a berm?
    Never got that far.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah it would be nice to have a V wagon wouldn't it. No they're not subtle, I bet the V Coupe is even more in your face.

I decided how much I dislike spin control in my 08 Volvo C30. I was going home from work, it was snowing and I had to stop at a light. Said light is on an uphill of course. It turned green and I eased into it and it just kept grumbling like when abs kicks in. The car never moved. The people behind me were a bit disturbed Had to put it in park and turn off sc and try it again. That sucked. I've had a few more negative episodes over the years since and only a few where it really helped. It definitely saved the day a couple of times since I got the BRZ but boy is it too intrusive especially on rough pavement.

Mazda just unveiled new model, CX-30, at the Geneva Auto Show. Closer to a wagon for sure than the new Mazda3, but built on same platform. Slots nicely between CX-3 and CX-5. Some say they are segmenting the market too thinly, but I think it will result in more net sales by giving more options. CX-5 is too big for some people, and CX-3 is definitely too small for many. Should be a hell of a lot easier to stuff snowboards/skis in the back than the CX-3.

Name:  mazda-cx-30-013.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  31.6 KB

Our neighbor slid into our Alltrack a few weeks ago as we were driving into town. Minor fender bender, with a new bumper and tail light needing replacement. I was pretty stoked on the full inside/out detail the shop did! Prettiest she'll probably ever be:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0657.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	274500

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	274501

https://jalopnik.com/2019-audi-s6-av...ey3HRvj3kv-7Lh

Audi S6 diesel wagon incoming

To europe

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    Mazda just unveiled new model, CX-30, at the Geneva Auto Show. Closer to a wagon for sure than the new Mazda3, but built on same platform. Slots nicely between CX-3 and CX-5. Some say they are segmenting the market too thinly, but I think it will result in more net sales by giving more options. CX-5 is too big for some people, and CX-3 is definitely too small for many. Should be a hell of a lot easier to stuff snowboards/skis in the back than the CX-3.

Name:  mazda-cx-30-013.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  31.6 KB
    My wife's cx3 was very impressive in Seattle's snowpocalypse. They have their awd system nailed.

Cx3 is definitely small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    My wife's cx3 was very impressive in Seattle's snowpocalypse. They have their awd system nailed.

Cx3 is definitely small.
    Indeed. Mazda has a bunch of Ice Academy videos on Youtube, where it competes with Hondas and Subarus on different courses. They work pretty well. Videos are from 2016.

New for 2019 G Vectoring Plus is supposed to be a big improvement, can't wait to try it next season.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post

To europe
    That's the the top of the mountain right there fellas.

EuroSpecTurboDiesel6(AT)withaBox
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post

To europe
    Just another reason car nerds in Yurp can sneer at North America. They get all the great wagons and we get 4 bangers
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

And yet we get AMG station wagons and no one buys them. An RS6 wagon would cost $125k here. We buy $90k Super Dutys instead.

It isn't the euros fault it is an American problem.

Wagon Stoke

We buy $90k Super Dutys instead
    In this country, it does add inches to your dick.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    And yet we get AMG station wagons and no one buys them. An RS6 wagon would cost $125k here. We buy $90k Super Dutys instead.

It isn't the euros fault it is an American problem.
    An AMG wagon is $100K plus
    An RS6 would be $125K

An S6 is still expensive, but probably closer to $70-80K. With the savings over a super duty you could have custom Yosemite Sam mudflaps and WagonNutz made