Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77
Results 1,901 to 1,912 of 1912

Thread: Wagon Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Nothing against the XCs and Alltracks, etc., but once a wagon has been lifted, isn't it a crossover? Maybe I'm being pedantic, but the lift and tires completely changes the dynamics of the vehicle, and the lifted wagon has basically killed the sport wagon, so I don't really see them being the same thing.
    There is a fine line there, you're right. Before my wife got her Alltrack, we drove an Outback and a CX-5 - those, in my book, are crossovers. Noticeably higher center of gravity, more body roll, more ground clearance and a higher seat position. The Alltrack feels much more like my MK7 GTI than a crossover. Yes the GTI is all around "sportier" car but the Alltrack has a similar feel and the steering, body control and fun to drive factor of a wagon.

I often curse crossovers and praise wagons but many are becoming one in the same.

Totally agree. Volkswagen did a great job keeping the Alltrack "sporty". If I hadn't driven a GTI right before driving the Alltrack, I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

The main point of the SUV/CUV vs Wagon thing is COG. Tall body SUV/CUVs have seats that are easier for the elderly to get in/out of, but higher COG than sport wagons or mildly lifted wagons.

The VW Alltrack for example is only a mild lift & instrumented reviews show the slalom handling isnít much different than the regular wagon.

Edit: looks like we all posted the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    Curious about this train of thought...arent these smaller, boosted engines having to work harder and therefore wear out faster? Are you telling me the tech has improved so much that the extra boost forces and higher RPMS going to wear out faster? Sure race cars can be 4 bangers, but they arent expected to last 200k..

serious question, seriously.
    You have a point.
    Hereís an article saying as much:
    https://www.designnews.com/electroni...10258542158513

By when you read the article, it basically says thereís no statistics to back up the issue. Volvo and BMW, (and almost all other brands), have just moved on to turbos.
    But like I said before, if youíre worried about it, (anecdotally), find a used in-line six or whatever and be happy.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Wagon Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Nothing against the XCs and Alltracks, etc., but once a wagon has been lifted, isn't it a crossover? Maybe I'm being pedantic, but the lift and tires completely changes the dynamics of the vehicle, and the lifted wagon has basically killed the sport wagon, so I don't really see them being the same thing.
    Youíre right, but...
    marketing.
    Also I might add why do you need the lift anyway? So that you can spot parking spots at the mall?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You’re right, but...
    marketing.
    Also I might add why do you need the lift anyway? So that you can spot parking spots at the mall?
    You’re asking this on a ski forum? Have you ever tried driving in winter on side streets with little or no plowing? The difference between a 5.5” vs 7” clearance...or 8”...is dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Youíre asking this on a ski forum? Have you ever tried driving in winter on side streets with little or no plowing?
    Yes. Lots of times. Over 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You’re right, but...
    marketing.
    Many of the points above are correct. Also agree about the lift being silly (except for people in snowy areas, where it is helpful indeed). Even when I lived in the mountains though, I still wanted a proper V70 instead, but man I just could not find one within 1000 miles. Seriously. I wanted a V70 with a stick, and doing nationwide searches, the V70R was the only I could find with that combo, and I couldn't find a newer one at all that was anywhere remotely close. Only rare ones I found were also WAY more used than I wanted.

It's getting harder and harder to find a standard wagon without any lift and an automatic transmission. Sigh...

Cars like small SUV got taller because your standard fat ass Americans can't get in/out of sport seats.

You probably didn't notice but the average American is a lard ass. Male and female.

Secondary, the parent population wants to be able to get their kid into the back seats easily.

Last, cars are appliances to the majority of people.

So yeah, make them bigger, easier, and with more comfortable gadgets. Now they are heavier and more expensive. Somehow they got faster, brake better, and have better fuel economy. Isn't that amazing?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Cars like small SUV got taller because your standard fat ass Americans can't get in/out of sport seats.

You probably didn't notice but the average American is a lard ass. Male and female.

Secondary, the parent population wants to be able to get their kid into the back seats easily.

Last, cars are appliances to the majority of people.

So yeah, make them bigger, easier, and with more comfortable gadgets. Now they are heavier and more expensive. Somehow they got faster, brake better, and have better fuel economy. Isn't that amazing?
    Don't forget the pile of driver aids, sensors and computers that make eating and texting while driving a breeze.

...which along with longer commute times brought the decline of the manual transmission...

I drove 600 miles in heavy snow in the Alltrack this past Saturday into Sunday. The last 300 or so miles the plows couldn't keep up or were not out. The Alltrack "lift" was helpful and I rallied home. I went by many stuck 2wd vehicles. I do notice the difference between this and my old Outback with a little Baja spring lift...that thing never ever hits bottom and seems unstoppable, plus a messed up driveway entrance was never an issue vs can be for the Alltrack as I found out in Salida. The Alltrack seems stoppable in deep snow but it handles infinitely better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk