Page 76 of 288 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 7200

Thread: Wagon Stoke

Wagon Stoke

You guys need to get over your four-cylinder fear.
    And by the way, it’s the XC versions that are jacked up, why get an XC? Get a regular V 60 with whichever options you want and the more HP engine.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    It's not the lack of cylinders that scare me. It's the fact that to get the good power they do, Volvo has turbocharged AND supercharged them (simultaneously) with some hybrid tech on top with some. It's very cool tech, but I'm not quite sure I can trust it for my kind of long term use. I like to get at least 200K miles before moving on. My current naturally aspirated I-6 may be slow as balls, but at least it's incredibly reliable. Their non-turbo engines last freaking forever. They've historically done great with turbos too (especially their light turbo's like the old GLT line), BUT their new "twin-charged" systems need some more time on the market to prove themselves before I'm willing to drop that kind of coin on one.

Who knows? Perhaps they'll prove me wrong, but they're too new to market to know either way.

You are an anomaly. Car brands (other than toyota) don't sell to 200k mile owners. Luxury car buyers are 50k owners not even 100k.

^^^ Both good points. But basically you’re not going to have the choice anyway. Wait as long as you can, till they work most of the bugs out, and that’s that.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You are an anomaly. Car brands (other than toyota) don't sell to 200k mile owners. Luxury car buyers are 50k owners not even 100k.
    When it comes to Volvo, I don't think I'm quite such an anomaly. Durability had long been a point of pride with the company. At least it used to be. Perhaps they've gone the way of BMW in who they're marketing to, so you very well could be right. It does seem they've changed their marketing approach since the days of the 240, so I'm not sure. Either way, their new HIGHLY forced induced engines spook me.

Yeah I think they have changed since the 240. Have you been to a Volvo dealer lately? It is a luxury brand.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Yeah I think they have changed since the 240. Have you been to a Volvo dealer lately? It is a luxury brand.
    Yeah, I stop by for parts occasionally, but I supposed I wasn't paying enough attention. I just went to their website and evidently the S40 is now gone from their lineup. Also RIP C30, V40, S70/V70. Bummer! Looks like they're definitely chasing the luxury market. I wonder if you can even get cloth seats any more. Doesn't look like it.

Don't get me wrong, though. Volvo does luxury right and IMO their interiors rival some of the best from Europe. In fact, in proper Scandinavian form, I find their cabins to be the most "pleasant" if that makes sense. After we retire the old XC70, it's going to be REALLY tough to downgrade to any lesser cabin.

My mother in law got a V90 last year. Insane wagon; light years ahead of the XC70. Not as insane as my buddy's super charged RS6 wagon however.

I pretty much am on the same page as Austin and the new Volvos. My 2006 just rolled over 190k miles and I hope she will last until at least 250k miles (4 more years). A lot of repairs this year, but previously was really easy on me for a few years, so whatever. Once my V70R is over the hill, we may just be a one car family. Something that can tow a light camper is likely what is next for us. If I was buying today, it would be a 2014/15 Q7 TDI with the great extended warranty, as there is no longer a wagon out there that does everything I need sold in N.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Thumbs up 2018 Golf Alltrack S DSG

Count me in as a new member on the Wagon Stoke bandwagon.

Just drove this home on Saturday...2018 VW Golf Alltrack S, Silk Blue W/ Black interior.
    Former Dealer Service Loaner w/ 8,500mi. on the clock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190216_133449166.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	270249

Only 127 mi. behind the wheel personally so far...and I'm very much digging it!

TBH, I was really hoping for a 6M trans, but 6M S's are rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.
    Didn't want the big sunroof SE or SEL.

I just got tired of trying to find one locally and/or arranging shipping or travel.
    A few co-workers have DSG Golfs, and seem to like them.
    This car showed up on my radar recently, so I grabbed it!

Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

Nice! Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

And by the way, it’s the XC versions that are jacked up, why get an XC? Get a regular V 60 with whichever options you want and the more HP engine.
    Curious about this train of thought...arent these smaller, boosted engines having to work harder and therefore wear out faster? Are you telling me the tech has improved so much that the extra boost forces and higher RPMS going to wear out faster? Sure race cars can be 4 bangers, but they arent expected to last 200k..

serious question, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    ...Not as insane as my buddy's super charged RS6 wagon however.
    dammit...i am going to have to move to Euroland!

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Moss-Back View Post
    Count me in as a new member on the Wagon Stoke bandwagon.

Just drove this home on Saturday...2018 VW Golf Alltrack S, Silk Blue W/ Black interior.
    Former Dealer Service Loaner w/ 8,500mi. on the clock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190216_133449166.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	270249

Only 127 mi. behind the wheel personally so far...and I'm very much digging it!

TBH, I was really hoping for a 6M trans, but 6M S's are rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.
    Didn't want the big sunroof SE or SEL.

I just got tired of trying to find one locally and/or arranging shipping or travel.
    A few co-workers have DSG Golfs, and seem to like them.
    This car showed up on my radar recently, so I grabbed it!

I have almost 50K on ou 2017 S, same color but with the Marrrakesh interior. I would have preferred a stick but they were not available when we we needed ours. I will say I am happy with the DSG and while it is not as precise as a true stick on the back roads, it is still a lifted wagon and not a Miata. If I had to do it again...considerering the other options out there, I would probably get one again...or maybe the Buick wagon if I was going to step up.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    Curious about this train of thought...arent these smaller, boosted engines having to work harder and therefore wear out faster? Are you telling me the tech has improved so much that the extra boost forces and higher RPMS going to wear out faster? Sure race cars can be 4 bangers, but they arent expected to last 200k..

Unless the industry has made some miraculous improvements in bearing and engine technology, I'm unsure of how they can defeat physics on this one. I also foresee a LOT of future trouble with emissions systems, which HAVE to be seriously complicated on something with both turbochargers AND superchargers all in one setup. Toss in hybrid tech like the T8 versions have and now we have electrical complications on top of it. I'm not scared of any of these technologies by themselves, but shoehorning in 3 at once and making a 4-cyl do the work of a V-8 and then some just doesn't give me a ton of confidence for a 200K+ mile car. I could very well be proven wrong, but I'M not going to be the early adopter on this one.

Nothing against the XCs and Alltracks, etc., but once a wagon has been lifted, isn't it a crossover? Maybe I'm being pedantic, but the lift and tires completely changes the dynamics of the vehicle, and the lifted wagon has basically killed the sport wagon, so I don't really see them being the same thing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Nothing against the XCs and Alltracks, etc., but once a wagon has been lifted, isn't it a crossover? Maybe I'm being pedantic, but the lift and tires completely changes the dynamics of the vehicle, and the lifted wagon has basically killed the sport wagon, so I don't really see them being the same thing.
    There is a fine line there, you're right. Before my wife got her Alltrack, we drove an Outback and a CX-5 - those, in my book, are crossovers. Noticeably higher center of gravity, more body roll, more ground clearance and a higher seat position. The Alltrack feels much more like my MK7 GTI than a crossover. Yes the GTI is all around "sportier" car but the Alltrack has a similar feel and the steering, body control and fun to drive factor of a wagon.

I often curse crossovers and praise wagons but many are becoming one in the same.

Totally agree. Volkswagen did a great job keeping the Alltrack "sporty". If I hadn't driven a GTI right before driving the Alltrack, I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

The main point of the SUV/CUV vs Wagon thing is COG. Tall body SUV/CUVs have seats that are easier for the elderly to get in/out of, but higher COG than sport wagons or mildly lifted wagons.

The VW Alltrack for example is only a mild lift & instrumented reviews show the slalom handling isn’t much different than the regular wagon.

Edit: looks like we all posted the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post

You have a point.
    Here’s an article saying as much:
    https://www.designnews.com/electroni...10258542158513

By when you read the article, it basically says there’s no statistics to back up the issue. Volvo and BMW, (and almost all other brands), have just moved on to turbos.
    But like I said before, if you’re worried about it, (anecdotally), find a used in-line six or whatever and be happy.

Wagon Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    You’re right, but...
    marketing.
    Also I might add why do you need the lift anyway? So that you can spot parking spots at the mall?

You’re right, but...
    marketing.
    Also I might add why do you need the lift anyway? So that you can spot parking spots at the mall?
    You’re asking this on a ski forum? Have you ever tried driving in winter on side streets with little or no plowing? The difference between a 5.5” vs 7” clearance...or 8”...is dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    You’re asking this on a ski forum? Have you ever tried driving in winter on side streets with little or no plowing?
    Yes. Lots of times. Over 40 years.

You’re right, but...
    marketing.
    Many of the points above are correct. Also agree about the lift being silly (except for people in snowy areas, where it is helpful indeed). Even when I lived in the mountains though, I still wanted a proper V70 instead, but man I just could not find one within 1000 miles. Seriously. I wanted a V70 with a stick, and doing nationwide searches, the V70R was the only I could find with that combo, and I couldn't find a newer one at all that was anywhere remotely close. Only rare ones I found were also WAY more used than I wanted.

It's getting harder and harder to find a standard wagon without any lift and an automatic transmission. Sigh...

Cars like small SUV got taller because your standard fat ass Americans can't get in/out of sport seats.

You probably didn't notice but the average American is a lard ass. Male and female.

Secondary, the parent population wants to be able to get their kid into the back seats easily.

Last, cars are appliances to the majority of people.

So yeah, make them bigger, easier, and with more comfortable gadgets. Now they are heavier and more expensive. Somehow they got faster, brake better, and have better fuel economy. Isn't that amazing?