Page 6 of 288 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagon Stoke

I do miss me my first car, a '77 Plymouth Fury Wagon with the 318. The thing could not drive in a straight line, however it could do it really fast.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    That thing's so dated, it's almost back in style
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

The AMC Eagle, I was going to post a pic, but wanted to save it for a "what ski car should I buy?" thread.

Here's an old favorite

Sad ending to Jon Olsson's Audi Avant.

That Saab AWD? What kind of a shitshow is it for service since they aren't a company anymore? Actually, I'm not even going there. She's not what I would consider automotively inclined.
    I still call it The Jake.

That AMC is a fucking beauty. Don't go changin sweetheart.

Loved my buddy's SR-5 Tercel thingy wagon. It was so weird it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Loved my buddy's SR-5 Tercel thingy wagon. It was so weird it was cool.
    Ditto. Buddy had a 4x4 SR-5 Tercel Wagon. Amazing traction.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Nice find, that's actually pretty damn intriguing. I wrote off MB wagons (even though I think they're really sharp) because I assumed all in her price range would be 125k miles +.

I'm going to look into this one. The mileage and price seem to not match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Just like mine but a different color. These might be the buy of the century if you have some minor wrenching skills.

That Saab AWD? What kind of a shitshow is it for service since they aren't a company anymore? Actually, I'm not even going there. She's not what I would consider automotively inclined.
    They only have FWD but service/parts are not a problem in most metro areas. If you are at all handy most things are DIY'able.

Actually the 9-3 Aero had AWD. And a turbo V6.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/200...o-xwd-car-news

I have no experience with Audi's or Volvo's. Just starting a cursory look at replacing our '03 Outback. Thinking something a little nicer than the Subaru so tentatively eyeing the V90 with AWD or an Allroad. It would be a commuter and drive to the ski hill (with 3 kids) car for the most part. I know the V90 is new, but does anyone have general experience with both makes of cars and have a preference?

So unless that MB doesn't check out and the repairs don't look to be insane I think I'm going to tell her to get the XC70 T6. Nearly $10k more is a price bump for sure but it's a 2 year newer ride, 300hp, bigger, 30k less miles and takes regular.

I did mention the BM will be so much more fun to corner in and it has the insanely frustrating iDrive (which means Nav), but hey.

That makes sense right? That's worth 10g isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I have no experience with Audi's or Volvo's. Just starting a cursory look at replacing our '03 Outback. Thinking something a little nicer than the Subaru so tentatively eyeing the V90 with AWD or an Allroad. It would be a commuter and drive to the ski hill (with 3 kids) car for the most part. I know the V90 is new, but does anyone have general experience with both makes of cars and have a preference?
    I'm on my 4th Volvo, a V70R, and I've been generally happy with every one. I think Audi makes some nice cars, but there is no way on earth I'd own an Audi without a bumper-to-bumper warranty.
    Last edited by InspectorGadget; 05-05-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Not awd. Front. Its not as bad as youd imagine on service if you find a good local saab guy thats honest. I got lucky in that respect. There are still some dealers that work on them that have transitioned to new brands but still have techs. Parts seem mostly available thus far.

Mines my parents old car. If i have some free time i will go through the service records ( they literally kept every one of em) and get you a rough idea of repairs since it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I'm on my 4th Volvo, a V70R, and I've been generally happy with every one. I think Audi makes some nice cars, but there is no way on earth I'd own an Audi without a bumper-to-bumper warranty.
    Yeah, supposedly they are becoming more reliable but it's still not as good as other makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Yeah, supposedly they are becoming more reliable but it's still not as good as other makes.
    It's not just a reliability issue with Audi; they can be frighteningly expensive to work on when they need periodic maintenance or fix when they break down.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

^^^ Having said that, I would sever a limb for an RS6 Avant.

Meet Scarlett

I loved, LOVED my Legacy GT, right up until I totaled it in November.

I like that V70R IG, your Suby looked sharp too.

I like that V70R IG, your Suby looked sharp too.
    The pics don't do it justice, it was pimp.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    It's not just a reliability issue with Audi; they can be frighteningly expensive to work on when they need periodic maintenance or fix when they break down.
    I have found volvos to be really expensive for maintenance as well.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I have found volvos to be really expensive for maintenance as well.
    Scarlett hasn't been a cheap date, but my other 3 Volvos were pretty damn reliable.

I've got Audis and a Volvo V70R and the repair costs are similar.
    At the risk of repeating myself, the Audis have been robust: 197k on a 99 A4 2.8 Avant with no major repairs.

I do not like how the V70R turns, it's like a truck. The Audis ride a zillion times better.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

ok so I went through all the service records since day 1 and totalled them out. I did NOT go line by line, so this total INCLUDES all oil changes (5K interval synthetic) as well as all sets of tires ever installed on her. The grand total all services since 2008-present $10909.00. Total of just under $1400/year average. Take away tires and oil changes (general maintenance with ANY car purchase) and your total would come down to just under $1K average yearly. This is a 2008 with 122K odo.

Obviously not all Saabs are the same and they can be quirky, but they are nicely appointed, safe, and pretty darned fun to drive.