Page 115 of 290 FirstFirst ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 7247

Thread: Wagon Stoke

Putting money in a car like that is a passion project. Which is fine but not part of the financially savvy category if that's the goal.

^^^ this. Painting most cars lowers the value.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    So let's say $4k for paint and I sourced some new front seats leathers for $1,500. Those two items are all the car is lacking. Over the last year I have easily put $5k into keeping the car 100%. Bummer is if the car gets wrecked tomorrow, I will have to fight tooth and nail to get $5k out of it, as it is a 2006 with 200k miles on it and USAA is clueless what my car sells for on BAT in good condition. It is one of four ever delivered to North America.

I love the car, but she is long in the tooth and will need lots of repairs down the road. Do I fix her up and drive her another 100k miles or buy the Regal X for $25k and likely be repair free for 100k miles? WWMD?
    I'll take it for $5k. Sending a pack of pepper-crusted as earnest

So let's say $4k for paint and I sourced some new front seats leathers for $1,500. Those two items are all the car is lacking. Over the last year I have easily put $5k into keeping the car 100%. Bummer is if the car gets wrecked tomorrow, I will have to fight tooth and nail to get $5k out of it, as it is a 2006 with 200k miles on it and USAA is clueless what my car sells for on BAT in good condition. It is one of four ever delivered to North America.

I love the car, but she is long in the tooth and will need lots of repairs down the road. Do I fix her up and drive her another 100k miles or buy the Regal X for $25k and likely be repair free for 100k miles? WWMD?
    Are you honestly considering the tour x? I have considered it as well. Sharp looks, Opel really, good extras. I get the GMC family discount, though I don't know what that gets me.

Didn't want to go brand new, but it's tempting. Much bigger than the Jetta TDI. Hmmm

Btw...hate buying cars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Nice ride. I'd look for a 2006 or 2007 to get the upgraded Haldex.

Do I fix her up and drive her another 100k miles or buy the Regal X for $25k and likely be repair free for 100k miles? WWMD?
    I wish I'd kept my R as a project and fixed it up over time. Wasn't possible at the time, but I miss it now.

Not wagon related but while screwing around online I came across the BMW 335i. Holy shit that is a lot of car for cheap. Some were twin turbo, some single but pretty fast stock and easily increased with some bolt ons. You can also get them in x-drive. I've owned lots of euros but never a bimmer. Might have to go look at these. They are selling for around 10 grand with low miles in my area and seem pretty common. It also sounds like they are fairly reliable, even after tuning.

If only they had made it in a wagon...

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    Owned a 2012 TDI Sportwagon 6MT pre dieselgate and it was the bomb
    Could pull and pass on the interstate no problemo without a downshift.
    Averaged around 38-40 mpg driving it like a high school kid.
    Put 40Kmiles on in a couple of years before I lost my job right at the dieselgate payout timeframe and took the $
    I regret selling them that car back.

Thread drift to crossover/SUV territory.

Currently shopping for a grocery getter as my 2001 W210 is about to tick 200k and get handed to one of my teenagers
    Loved the sportwagon but it lacks ground clearnace, AWD and semblance of ability to tow.
    I imagine I could shoehorn a class 3 hitch and maybe pull raft/driftboat/small camp trailer...
    But zero offroad capability is becoming more of a deal breaker and like Skidog my 06 Tundra is getting tired (but paid for and still running well) and I have frame rust concerns
    I'm looking to rally around the west desert and forest service roads and pull a float boat up the hayfarm ramp while driving in relative luxury, fold down seat that I can sleep in the back, and gets above 30 MPG
    Is that too fucking much to ask?

I'm looking at Toureg TDI from the same time frames, 2009-2016. Also Audi Q5 or Q7 TDI.
    Can't find any 6MT so it'd be the DSG.
    Toureg has the "Offroad" setting and I have found some compelling Youtube videos of people rolling way gnarlier stuff than I ever would offroad.
    Any thoughts on those platforms other than steer away from Audi slushboxes?

This one is kinda boner city https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6375614
    Toureg example https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6299773

I almost hate to consider it but they are giving away Chevy Equinox LT Ecodiesels that get 38mpg.
    After driving German for the last 10 years I shudder at the thought but smile at the mpg and price tag.

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6302017
    Flame away for posting such nonsense in the wagon thread

EDIT to add-locking diff this one wins https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6379054
    If you want basic offroad capabilities and 30+mpg, you're talking unibody SUVs. If the RAV4 hybrid is big enough and good enough at towing for you, it'll give you the gas mileage you want. And you won't want to drag it through teh gnar out in Moab, but it'll get you into squirrelly trailheads and camp sites if you drive it carefully.

I'm kind of waiting for the plug in version that's supposed to come out next year. Seems like a good replacement for my Outback when the time comes.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    Nice ride. I'd look for a 2006 or 2007 to get the upgraded Haldex.
    I'm not buying, but saw it on BAT and felt obligated to post the link. Low miles, AWD, stick, sharp-looking interior, more cargo space than a lot of SUVs, it checks a lot of boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Not wagon related but while screwing around online I came across the BMW 335i. Holy shit that is a lot of car for cheap. Some were twin turbo, some single but pretty fast stock and easily increased with some bolt ons. You can also get them in x-drive. I've owned lots of euros but never a bimmer. Might have to go look at these. They are selling for around 10 grand with low miles in my area and seem pretty common. It also sounds like they are fairly reliable, even after tuning.

If only they had made it in a wagon...
    basinbeater is your man for all questions BMW-related. Also BobMc.

At this point, it can't be about numbers. It's about smiles per mile. Sure, if you want new and warrantied, the Regal X is a great buy IMO. HOWEVER, good luck ever finding another R like yours that you're so intimately familiar with. I have several cars from my past that I have deep, deep regrets about selling.

I now have less fear of old ass Euro cars since I'm willing to wrench on them myself and by some miracle it seems that parts are becoming plentiful and CHEAP on them. Weird, but it's what I'm seeing. After I sort out the Audi and drive it for a while (and get back on my feet), I'm super tempted to go with a cheap BMW wagon or seek out a Volvo R like yours. So long as the engine and trannies are good to go, I have no fear. Haha.

My '08 Volvo just keeps on ticking, and so long as it does I guess I'll keep it around. Especially since it's probably worth like negative dollars right now, just like my latest Audi procurement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm not buying, but saw it on BAT and felt obligated to post the link. Low miles, AWD, stick, sharp-looking interior, more cargo space than a lot of SUVs, it checks a lot of boxes.
    Yeah, cargo space was awesome, I was able to fit my 29r bike in the back with just the front wheel off without folding the rear seats down, no bike rack required. I can't do that in our Pilot.

I drive a 2011 JSW TDI 6MT. I was averaging high 40MPG when I was daily driving.

I have dealt with the pano roof issue and wish I didn't have it. Issue for me has been debris clogging the tubes, which involves pulling the wheels and the wheel well liner to clean them out. Cut the spider trap off this year, hopefully that helps.

Did a OR to CO trip that mostly involved getting the car up to 80+ in 6th gear and cruising for hours on end with no issues. Will do 100 uphill while passing. Barely shifted through most of Wyoming on i80. Comfy seats and has enough gizmos for me.

Oil changes are $$$ with the special VW oil.

Chains don't fit these cars if that is a thing for you.

BaT wins again: 600 hp awd.

Butalas, a slush box trans.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I would prefer to keep the R, but some days it does feel like a bit of a money pit. I try and make decisions based on what is financially the smart way to go, but as said, I will never find another V70R again in Sonic Blue with Atacama interior and a Manual 6 speed, so it is a collector in a high mileage kind of way. I think the Tour X is a hell of a deal for what skiers want and will only get lower priced as time goes by. I am certain the Essence trim level with a $40k msrp can be had for $25k in early 2021. I think I will order the new seat leathers, as that bugs me the most and hold off on the paint until next summer. Thanks for your 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Do you do them yourself? Thanks to being broke these days I FINALLY decided to do my own changes on my Volvo. Changes were always over $100+ anywhere since it's a freaking 8 qt oil change. And that's with Castrol. Not a bad oil or anything, but I just switched back to Motul like I used to use and doing it myself, even with a dealer sourced filter (just a Mann cartridge), I spent a total of around $65 or so. So HALF the price of the dealer and they can't even get me Motul or not screw it up (they WAY overfilled last time).

I'm now really kicking myself because I just found out that it's actually a pretty easy service and I should've been doing it myself all these years. Sunnuva...

I would prefer to keep the R, but some days it does feel like a bit of a money pit. I try and make decisions based on what is financially the smart way to go, but as said, I will never find another V70R again in Sonic Blue with Atacama interior and a Manual 6 speed, so it is a collector in a high mileage kind of way. I think the Tour X is a hell of a deal for what skiers want and will only get lower priced as time goes by. I am certain the Essence trim level with a $40k msrp can be had for $25k in early 2021. I think I will order the new seat leathers, as that bugs me the most and hold off on the paint until next summer. Thanks for your 2 cents.
    Yeah, always a tough call to be honest. It's always a gamble putting the $$$ into a major service because it can lead to the next thing, then the next, and the next. OR it can be kind of a one and done thing and the car's good for another 30K miles with no problems. Last year, I was seriously starting to shop for another car to replace my XC70 but I sucked it up, did everything it needed and it's been 100% solid over the last 6 months and drives better than ever. Still always painful to put money into these old things. I always tell myself if it comes down to engine or trans replacement, THEN I'm done with it, but then again I don't have an R like you do. No comparison. I'd probably give my left nut to keep that car going no matter the costs. Just way too rare and still one of my favorite cars of all time.

I have dealt with the pano roof issue and wish I didn't have it. Issue for me has been debris clogging the tubes, which involves pulling the wheels and the wheel well liner to clean them out. Cut the spider trap off this year, hopefully that helps.
    Now you'll get spiders.

But seriously,

Depending on the route the drains take--I just have a regular sunroof--take a long length of string trimmer string (the smaller diameter is more bendy) and snake it thru the drains. Done in 10 mins.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I'd probably give my left nut to keep that car going no matter the costs. Just way too rare and still one of my favorite cars of all time.
    Thanks Austin, I need to print that quote out and look at it to pep myself up on days when I get the maintenance blues.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

I drive a 2011 JSW TDI 6MT. I was averaging high 40MPG when I was daily driving.

Did a OR to CO trip that mostly involved getting the car up to 80+ in 6th gear and cruising for hours on end with no issues. Will do 100 uphill while passing. Barely shifted through most of Wyoming on i80. Comfy seats and has enough gizmos for me.

Chains don't fit these cars if that is a thing for you.
    Proper low profile chains do fit.

Also, I have some of the 507 spec Castrol oil from my former 15 tdi GSW if any mag is in need.

VW is offering 72 months 0% financing on 19/20 vehicles. With the 6yr/72k warranty on the 19 Alltrack, I'm sorely tempted to track down a 6MT S.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    VW is offering 72 months 0% financing on 19/20 vehicles. With the 6yr/72k warranty on the 19 Alltrack, I'm sorely tempted to track down a 6MT S.
    That warranty was great and the price should be great now with the lack of business on a 2019. If it has enough HP for ya, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post

Damn. Very tempting.

72 months of car payments sounds like a drag.

My buddy is looking at a new car with 84 months of payments. He already has 36 months of snowmobile payments. He gets into debt often...

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    72 months of car payments sounds like a drag.

My buddy is looking at a new car with 84 months of payments. He already has 36 months of snowmobile payments. He gets into debt often...
    Been yrs paid off here, no debt etc, for the record. I would only ever finance a car that I could payoff completely any time.

The warranty on the Golf makes it seem like a reasonable deal. These 3-pedaled Alltracks seem like a lot of car for sub 30k, especially with a modest tune.

Local stealership has a 2014 TDI I want. List 14k. Low miles but still high side or over. Said I was thinking more like 11k. Dealer says the list is list "we sell a lot of these for asking price" I responded only with "good luck with the sale" I mean what kinda shit is that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Did an Auto trader search and there are a bunch of 2019's with a MT for $20k ballpark. Love the price, but like more HP. The tune will void the warranty.