Page 180 of 185 FirstFirst ... 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 4613

Thread: Wagon Stoke

  1. #4476
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I love my Mk7 TDI wagon. The torque on the highway is fantastic and I just got back from a 550 km road trip and averaged 5.4 L/100 km.
    the ex used to have a golf TDI and good gawd i loved driving that thing. so smooth, so tight. i drive a turbo subaru 5MT and the TDI was a much more subtle boost, but just velvet smooth. i miss that car.

    when the subie is gone, the top contender for me right now is a Golf R 6MT. drove a buddy's once and that thing hammers.

  2. #4477
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    7,709
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

    Thanks bmills

    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Oh no! Did it give up the ghost, or you're just breaking up with her and letting someone else have a turn? What was wrong with it? Just curious cuz mine is getting very needy as it approaches that third trip round the odometer.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    The tranny started to slip, which is what I think happened to yours too, right?
    Mine only had ~120k on the odometer so I could have fixed it, but had been wanting a new car for a bit and they had something at local dealership I liked, so went for the trade in.
    sad day to say goodbye to the tommy molvo though
    skid luxury

  3. #4478
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    7,058
    Damned BB. Vibes. I always cry when my cars go to the junkyard. Never have sold a car save for my SHO that I sold for parts. I'd have to fix that vulva or be completely devastated and spend more money than the fix on a therapist because that is one sweet ride. No way we could part company. It is why VW salivates knowing I own a manual Alltrack. Parts profits locked in for the long term.

    You should have gone with a Prius V. Only a wheel bearing on that piece of shit at 200k and still going. In fact just went to the Winds and back to Iowa without a whimper. Just saying.

    Lol.



    Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

  4. #4479
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    7,709

    Wagon Stoke

    I definitely had something caught in my eye that day. Itís like saying goodbye to a friend.
    I think the thing that really pushed me to the trade-in is that I was set to pick up my 11 yo nephew in Ft Collins 3 days later and I just didnít want to deal with the fix and questioning what the next fix wasÖ.
    wish I was better at fix it stuff myself. husband is ok but I probably know more about fixing vehicles lol

    edit to add that there was also something wrong with the alignment that we could never figure out. It drove fine but the front blew through tires quickly the past couple years (and I drive <10k miles/yr) and none of the local mechanics had any solutions.
    skid luxury

  5. #4480
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,690
    Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Thanks bmills



    The tranny started to slip, which is what I think happened to yours too, right?
    Mine only had ~120k on the odometer so I could have fixed it, but had been wanting a new car for a bit and they had something at local dealership I liked, so went for the trade in.
    sad day to say goodbye to the tommy molvo though
    We had that exact Volvo and at that milage it started to implode. You made the right call. Our awd stopped working and every year started to seem like a 2-3k repair. Luckily after the awd started acting up, somebody crashed I to it which was the best case scenario since we got way more than bluebook from the insurance.

  6. #4481
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    7,058
    I get it.

    Unless you're Basin Beater type of nutcase tranny fixes aren't DIY.

    Your hubby holds his own just fine. Nobody can be an expert at everything.







    Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

  7. #4482
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    7,709
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I get it.

    Unless you're Basin Beater type of nutcase tranny fixes aren't DIY.

    Your hubby holds his own just fine. Nobody can be an expert at everything.


    Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    ha! you are sweet to say that.
    I pine for the days I could figure out what was going on with my car. so many sensors and such now
    skid luxury

  8. #4483
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    6,623
    Given some of the other threads recently I feel like I should say no offense to BBear. But some friends of mine used to watch for funny autocorrections in sentences about Volvos. And this is probably the best one I've ever seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I'd have to fix that vulva or be completely devastated and spend more money than the fix on a therapist because that is one sweet ride.

  9. #4484
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    7,709

    Wagon Stoke

    no offense taken. itís a natural progression on that brand name. especially for those of us with advanced senses of humor like ďthatís what he/she saidĒ jokes 🤣
    Last edited by babybear; 09-25-2021 at 10:18 PM.
    skid luxury

  10. #4485
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    and on the topic of wagons and sunsetsÖ the old volvo came to its final rest recently. But the beautiful sunset sky was a nice send off
    Attachment 386549
    Sorry to hear about your xc - but thatís a wonderful parting shot!

  11. #4486
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Did you send the box to the parking lot on a farm up north or did you reclaim it so the spirit it captured can live on with another?

  12. #4487
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    The tranny started to slip, which is what I think happened to yours too, right?
    Mine only had ~120k on the odometer so I could have fixed it, but had been wanting a new car for a bit and they had something at local dealership I liked, so went for the trade in.
    sad day to say goodbye to the tommy molvo though
    Aww, bummer. The automatic transmissions on the XC's are definitely their Achilles heel. Sucks when ours get to the age when a repair exceeds the value of the vehicle itself. Can't blame ya for moving on. I'm in the same predicament on my old Trailblazer, but I don't like it that much to begin with so much easier for me to part ways with it. Putting it up for sale this week in fact (dirt cheap of course). When it comes time for my XC70 however, that'll be tougher to swallow since it's still such a nice car.

  13. #4488
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    25,959
    FWIW, I think that’s one of those automotive stereotypes that gets promulgated despite the manufacturer remedying it in the next generation.

    Transmission/AWD/Angle Gear issues were associated with the P2 gen, not the P3.
    I still call it The Jake.

  14. #4489
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    16,085
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Aww, bummer. The automatic transmissions on the XC's are definitely their Achilles heel. Sucks when ours get to the age when a repair exceeds the value of the vehicle itself. Can't blame ya for moving on. I'm in the same predicament on my old Trailblazer, but I don't like it that much to begin with so much easier for me to part ways with it. Putting it up for sale this week in fact (dirt cheap of course). When it comes time for my XC70 however, that'll be tougher to swallow since it's still such a nice car.
    Austin, just have the trans/diff fluids changed about every 25k miles after 50k miles and it will last. Lifetime fluids is a croak of BS
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  15. #4490
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Aww, bummer. The automatic transmissions on the XC's are definitely their Achilles heel. Sucks when ours get to the age when a repair exceeds the value of the vehicle itself. Can't blame ya for moving on. I'm in the same predicament on my old Trailblazer, but I don't like it that much to begin with so much easier for me to part ways with it. Putting it up for sale this week in fact (dirt cheap of course). When it comes time for my XC70 however, that'll be tougher to swallow since it's still such a nice car.
    In the future adding an external cooler and filter can add some additional insurance for not too much money. Part of the problem is most transmissions these days don't have filters that can be changed and as clutch material breaks down it can plug up solenoids/valve bodies. As stated previously regular drain/fill of AT units is usually overlooked but can help extend the life of them.

  16. #4491
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    FWIW, I think thatís one of those automotive stereotypes that gets promulgated despite the manufacturer remedying it in the next generation.

    Transmission/AWD/Angle Gear issues were associated with the P2 gen, not the P3.
    Whew! Good. I have a P3. Still, I'm with liv2ski with his recs on this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Austin, just have the trans/diff fluids changed about every 25k miles after 50k miles and it will last. Lifetime fluids is a croak of BS
    I agree. While I've not been as hardcore as every 25K, I've been trying to do it about every 40-50K. Seems to have done me well so far. Fingers crossed.

    And yeah. The whole "lifetime" fluids things that manufacturers are pushing is maddening. ESPECIALLY LOOKING AT YOU, AUDI.

  17. #4492
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    In the future adding an external cooler and filter can add some additional insurance for not too much money. Part of the problem is most transmissions these days don't have filters that can be changed and as clutch material breaks down it can plug up solenoids/valve bodies. As stated previously regular drain/fill of AT units is usually overlooked but can help extend the life of them.
    Dangit. Maybe I should've done that on my TB. Yeah. It's those clutch packs that love to disintegrate on their shitty 4L60E transmissions. Pieces of garbage those things. Even with frequent fluid/filter changes, I can't seem to get more than 100K out of them. I give up. F. U., GM!!!

  18. #4493
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Dangit. Maybe I should've done that on my TB. Yeah. It's those clutch packs that love to disintegrate on their shitty 4L60E transmissions. Pieces of garbage those things. Even with frequent fluid/filter changes, I can't seem to get more than 100K out of them. I give up. F. U., GM!!!
    The truth of the matter is at's have a lite cycle as friction material wears out. Some just last longer than others, mid 90's-ealry 20' Honda/Acura's failed miserably.

  19. #4494
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    The truth of the matter is at's have a lite cycle as friction material wears out. Some just last longer than others, mid 90's-ealry 20' Honda/Acura's failed miserably.
    Dang. That's some bullcrap, huh? Big reason we're replacing the TB with something with a proper manual transmission. We want our next car to last so long we'll be handing it down to our kids for their high school/college beater someday far in the future. I only have faith that something with an MT can pull that off. My kids are definitely going to be the odd ones of their generation whose whacko parents forced them to learn stick for no apparent reason. Haha.

  20. #4495
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Dang. That's some bullcrap, huh? Big reason we're replacing the TB with something with a proper manual transmission. We want our next car to last so long we'll be handing it down to our kids for their high school/college beater someday far in the future. I only have faith that something with an MT can pull that off. My kids are definitely going to be the odd ones of their generation whose whacko parents forced them to learn stick for no apparent reason. Haha.
    Depending on how old your kids are itís just as likely they will get a ďew, you donít drive an electric car?Ē

    I figure mine will probably never drive an ICE.

  21. #4496
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Depending on how old your kids are it’s just as likely they will get a “ew, you don’t drive an electric car?”

    I figure mine will probably never drive an ICE.
    OMG. You could very well be right!!! That, or it could be considered like super hipster. Maybe having an ICE car with a MT will be the auto equivalent of riding a fixie. Haha.

  22. #4497
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,763
    Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I definitely had something caught in my eye that day. Itís like saying goodbye to a friend.
    I think the thing that really pushed me to the trade-in is that I was set to pick up my 11 yo nephew in Ft Collins 3 days later and I just didnít want to deal with the fix and questioning what the next fix wasÖ.
    wish I was better at fix it stuff myself. husband is ok but I probably know more about fixing vehicles lol

    edit to add that there was also something wrong with the alignment that we could never figure out. It drove fine but the front blew through tires quickly the past couple years (and I drive <10k miles/yr) and none of the local mechanics had any solutions.
    Take car to a frame shop for proper alignment and troubleshooting.

  23. #4498
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Take car to a frame shop for proper alignment and troubleshooting.
    Too late for that now, bro.

  24. #4499
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    3,736
    If your alignment guy canít tell you why it canít be aligned properly youíre going to the wrong alignment guy.

    Iíd have guessed the lower control arm bushings were suspect on that particular car but Iím just musing.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  25. #4500
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    14,371
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    OMG. You could very well be right!!! That, or it could be considered like super hipster. Maybe having an ICE car with a MT will be the auto equivalent of riding a fixie. Haha.
    My boys getting his license next year
    And he wants an MT.
    ďIím a subhuman jizz monkeyĒ

    Thx mods. Itís an awesome signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •