Page 55 of 290 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 7247

Thread: Wagon Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Seems like a Toyota Sequoia may be the call. Kind of ugly and big, but likely the most reliable way to go. Your thoughts?
    Nothing wrong with going that route if being used as a weekend vehicle. NO WAY would I want it for a daily, but I'd have no problem going for a high-mileage used model...or its excellent Lexus counterpart which you can pick up oddly cheap for some reason. I too hate SUVs with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Nothing wrong with going that route if being used as a weekend vehicle. NO WAY would I want it for a daily, but I'd have no problem going for a high-mileage used model...or its excellent Lexus counterpart which you can pick up oddly cheap for some reason. I too hate SUVs with a passion.
    There is no Lexus counterpart to the Sequoia.

To tow a 3500# trailer occasionally, wouldn't pretty much any midsized crossover handle that? I don't think you'd need to step up to something full size like a Sequoia just for that. Or go to a minivan.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Wagon Stoke

Wash and wax. 14 y/o car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	232570

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

To tow a 3500# trailer occasionally, wouldn't pretty much any midsized crossover handle that? I don't think you'd need to step up to something full size like a Sequoia just for that. Or go to a minivan.
    I agree, find a used (doesn’t even need to be low mileage), minivan for these adventures. We use a 2005 Odyssey.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Wash and wax. 14 y/o car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	232570
    Have been looking around lightly at these. I can get over the lack of a manual, but the gas mileage is holding me back some. Nice condition

Hating on SUV is pointless. I've got a true wagon, a CX-5 and now a Q5. The sporty cute utes feel no different than the wagon other than being slightly taller. They are easier to get in and out of. The steering is better and the suspension is more damp. My Q5 is even more planted in high speed corners than the wagon. Back when the wagon had coilovers it would handle better but it was hash. All I really lost with the cute ute was a little room in the boot. Seats still fold down so no big deal.

The hate only comes from the soccer mom stereotype I'm guessing. Soccer mom's drive trucks these days guys. Get over it already.

Doh! You're right. I was thinking of the Lexus LX470, which is the semi-dressed up version of the LAND CRUISER, which is also excellent. Still wouldn't want to daily it, but they are great vehicles.

other than being slightly taller.
    This. It's simple physics. Lots of tall F1 cars.
    I'm an old brittle fuck and I can get in and out of a sedan.

Input appreciated on an 2008 Audi A4 wagon that I'll be selling. 98k, decent shape for a 10yr old car, leather, etc. I haven't tried the trade-in route, but expect them to be at $5k, that sound close to you guys? If so, I'd quick sell it local (or try) for $7k. I think book said $9k retail.

Drift question for simple....how do you like the Q5? Is that 4cyl powerful enough for the larger vehicle? Comparing to the Infiniti with a V6. Bought an underpowered mini-SUV prior and really hated it. Don't want to make that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Hating on SUV is pointless. I've got a true wagon, a CX-5 and now a Q5. The sporty cute utes feel no different than the wagon other than being slightly taller. They are easier to get in and out of. The steering is better and the suspension is more damp. My Q5 is even more planted in high speed corners than the wagon. Back when the wagon had coilovers it would handle better but it was hash. All I really lost with the cute ute was a little room in the boot. Seats still fold down so no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This. It's simple physics. Lots of tall F1 cars.
    I'm an old brittle fuck and I can get in and out of a sedan.
    Well hating in sedans I get. Hatchback life yo.

Iowagriz I never test drove the 4cyl 2.0T sorry. My current wagon is a 2.5T and I tow regularly so going down wasn't an option. Went to a 3.0 TDi but also drove the 3.0T supercharged. Tough choice since both are awesome engines from Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I need a vehicle that can tow a small 3,500 trailer for my hippster camping adventures.
    The only wagon that can do that is likely a 2018 Jaguar, which at $75k is a little much or an E400, which I hate the looks of, so what else to consider? I hate trucks and really don't care for SUVs, but likely need to go down that road. Seems like a Toyota Sequoia may be the call. Kind of ugly and big, but likely the most reliable way to go. Your thoughts?
    Sequoia feels like overkill for that task, though I can't do better than the minivan suggestion off the top of my head.

We bought the minivan as an extra utility vehicle, and it works very well. The sliding doors are a big advantage for quickly getting things and people in and out. Also, I put seats in and out based on need. If I'm taking 3 people, I leave in 3 seats. This makes it way more versatile than any normal door, non-removable seat vehicle. Basically it will hold a fucking ton of shit.

Wagon Stoke

I like minivans. If you get a fwd sienna, you can slap in an "awd" decal if you want.

If you go bigger v8 SUV, there are tons of cherry used lx470 and 100-series land cruisers in San Diego.

Much better mileage with the minivan. Pulling a trailer, you might want to consider where you'll be going once your parked and unhitched the trailer. Would a 4wd body on frame with two speed tcase and clearance that gets shitty mileage be useful?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    We bought the minivan as an extra utility vehicle, and it works very well. The sliding doors are a big advantage for quickly getting things and people in and out. Also, I put seats in and out based on need. If I'm taking 3 people, I leave in 3 seats. This makes it way more versatile than any normal door, non-removable seat vehicle. Basically it will hold a fucking ton of shit.
    Glad I asked, as I would lean more towards a Toyota Sienna than a SUV. I am SUV resistant as my big guy will have a hard time jumping up into one in a few years, so a wagon or van is better for us.

I did a quick Google and a 2012 Sienna was rated at a 3500lbs tow capacity, which is cutting it real close. There were a few tow kits for it that state they will work up to 5000lbs, but does the van have the power to really pull say 4000lbs or should I just bite the SUV bullet and by a vehicle rated for 5000lbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The Highlander is a 5000k tow vehicle and it is a nice ride in the suv cross category.. Sienna tows 3500 lbs with relative ease though. Tranny is bomber. I think either would be good choices and both have the same engine afaik. 4R also rated to tow 5k but rides like the truck it is and sucks gas so best as a 3rd vehicle which is exactly how we use ours.

It'll have the power. I mean you're towing 3500 lbs. so it won't race, but everything's a compromise, right? It's 266 hp. I bought bigger brakes when the rotors etc. needed changing. Why not for $100 more, or whatever? Only you know what kind of driving you'll do with it. The Odyssey is the same platform as their Ridgeline truck thing. I don't know about the Sienna, but they are so close in specs to each other, it's pretty funny.

I daily drive a 4Runner, and would not consider towing anything heavier than a single snowmobile on an open trailer behind it. It has mediocre brakes, soft suspension, is underpowered when empty, needs a re-gear to 4.30's from the factory, gets knocked all over the road when it's windy and has a short wheelbase. Not a vehicle for towing in any way, shape or form. I would rather tow with the Outback I owned previously.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I daily drive a 4Runner, and would not consider towing anything heavier than a single snowmobile on an open trailer behind it. It has mediocre brakes, soft suspension, is underpowered when empty, needs a re-gear to 4.30's from the factory, and has a short wheelbase. Not a vehicle for towing in any way, shape or form. I would rather tow with the Outback I owned previously.
    I've towed my 3500 lb boat with both our aging 03 4r and 02 Outback which towed okay until the hitch rusted to the point I don't trust it. 4R does fine...way better than the Outback especially stopping. I do not live in the mountains which helps and I don't tow my boat cross country since the river is 5 minutes away and the lake 30 but for occasional towing in said areas am sure it would suffice for people not needing to drive at the limits 100 percent of the time. Ymmv. Some people tow tiny little boats with HD diesels and they probably still feel they need something bigger especially if they need to go 80 mph into a wind uphill.

Also my old man has a Sienna from 08 3500 lb. He tows a 650 hp triple rig all over the midwest with it and has since it was new. He also tows a 16 ft Scamp with no issues. He slows down or shifts down if he has to push into a headwind to keep the tranny locked up. He borrows the 4R to pull it to ramps that are sketchy.

I daily drive a 4Runner, and would not consider towing anything heavier than a single snowmobile on an open trailer behind it. It has mediocre brakes, soft suspension, is underpowered when empty, needs a re-gear to 4.30's from the factory, gets knocked all over the road when it's windy and has a short wheelbase. Not a vehicle for towing in any way, shape or form. I would rather tow with the Outback I owned previously.
    The different generations of 4Runner are going to be wildly different in towing ability. First gen? No way. 4th generation V8? Hell yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

True, mine is a 5th Gen with the 4.0 V6. The gearing is too tall for the powerband. If you tow with it at all, I imagine you'll be in fifth gear for about two out of every hundred miles you drive. I've driven into stout headwinds with the vehicle unloaded (me and skis in it) where it can't stay in fifth on flat pavement and maintain speed. I love it, but it is slow and ill suited to towing or being loaded with more than 500-600 pounds of gear. My experience after driving one for a year and a half as a DD.

The different generations of 4Runner are going to be wildly different in towing ability. First gen? No way. 4th generation V8? Hell yes.
    The 4.0 might be underpowered in the mountains towing. Shrug. Semi's go through the mountains every day with sub 400 hp engines. Slow down, gear down.

Also our 03 is a sport which came with bigger brakes than the SR5 335 mm vs 315 mm. More than enough stopping power.

If someone has a gen 5 they thinks sucks at towing I'll take it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

True, mine is a 5th Gen with the 4.0 V6. The gearing is too tall for the powerband. If you tow with it at all, I imagine you'll be in fifth gear for about two out of every hundred miles you drive. I've driven into stout headwinds with the vehicle unloaded (me and skis in it) where it can't stay in fifth on flat pavement and maintain speed. I love it, but it is slow and ill suited to towing or being loaded with more than 500-600 pounds of gear. My experience after driving one for a year and a half as a DD.
    Those gears are there for you to use though right? Just forget about 5th gear when towing unless you want to coast it out down a hill then it is okay to throw it up there as long as you remember to drop it down again for the next pull. Ours is the old 4 speed and I have to shift to 3rd all the time to keep it locked up when towing. Not a big deal to me. Third gear on our truck is actually a perfect ratio for towing and it stays locked up really well in 3 and I can cruise at 70 no problem if I want but I usually just go 65.

Chevy had (has?) a switchable tow haul mode. It basically locked out overdrive as its primary function. Most trucks are not designed to tow a load up near their rated capacity in top gear. Towing a single snowmobile sure. Trying to tow a heavy load in overdrive without manually shifting down every time the torque converter unlocks will burn up a transmission fast on any truck, car, suv with a slushbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Spotted this beast at a local car show last summer. Note the sweet ski racks.

Attachment 232550
    When I get an old wagon a Vista Cruiser is right at the top of my list. The Buick equivalent would be a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Doh! You're right. I was thinking of the Lexus LX470, which is the semi-dressed up version of the LAND CRUISER, which is also excellent. Still wouldn't want to daily it, but they are great vehicles.
    Great vehicles, however towing # drops significantly. Cant remember #’s exactly, but it is a big drop.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleswede View Post
    Great vehicles, however towing # drops significantly. Cant remember #’s exactly, but it is a big drop.
    You're right! It's 6500 lbs on the Land Cruiser versus 5000 on the LX470. Supposedly might have something to do with the LX's air suspension. I've heard of people swapping out the LX's for the LC's setup when the air ride inevitably goes bust and that gets you back to 6500. Might be a couple more components at play though (like how the hitch is mounted?) so I'd still probably say "5000 lbs" to be on the safe side.

Still. Should have zero problem towing a little trailer. Then again, neither should many vehicles. I just always found the LX470 to be a bargain (used) compared to the many vastly overpriced used 4Runners/Tacos/Tundras out there. Never did understand why they seemed to depreciate more than their other Toyota brethren.