Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My aunt and uncle and cousins used to make dill pickles every year; I often helped. We put a small hot chile in each bottle. They were stored under their summer cottage in the crawl space. Every once in a while they would discover a bottle that had been sitting there for years which they gave to me. Very hot, soggy pickles. I loved them. I still have their recipe but in 40 years I haven't gotten around to making them so it's probably not going to happen. They claimed that the secret was using untreated lake water; I've got plenty of that but I don't think I would take a chance on it.
    I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that if the fermentation is correct the ph level will kill any bad bacteria. Lake water probably has some good bacteria that kick-starts the process.

I fermented a bunch of different hot sauces last year and ate'em is absolutely correct. Fermented hot sauces are the bomb. I always mashed the peppers before fermentation. I also liked adding a little bit of other flavor such as garlic and onion, but not much. A good mash is just peppers, salt, and water, and can be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My aunt and uncle and cousins used to make dill pickles every year; I often helped. We put a small hot chile in each bottle. They were stored under their summer cottage in the crawl space. Every once in a while they would discover a bottle that had been sitting there for years which they gave to me. Very hot, soggy pickles. I loved them. I still have their recipe but in 40 years I haven't gotten around to making them so it's probably not going to happen. They claimed that the secret was using untreated lake water; I've got plenty of that but I don't think I would take a chance on it.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. Send me a message with your name and address and you will have them.

Pickled me some rhubarb... it is good but tart, like really fucking tart.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Lol

We sell a lot of meat directly from the farm to the consumer. Because of this "broth" trend all the former dog bones have become broth bones and sell a lot better!
    New trend? Bone broth has been around for at least 10 centuries.